IT TV On Digital / pirate IPTV streams

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Omen, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ITV Dig went bust because everyone and his dog got it for nowt with dodgy cards and boxes and took a lot of football clubs with it - BFC being one of them!

Now we have people doing all this IPTV streaming of sky channels.

Sky are funding all the dollar through live footy and therefore the over inflated wages etc...

What if this new wave of piracy were to bankrupt sky or cause enough damage for them to pull out of it. Who knows what that would do to football now! It wouldnt just be a few champ clubs that get banjaxed!

I for one wish they would bog off as they have ruined footy imho but the falout could break it big time.

Someone else may come along but if the pirates cannot be controlled then they will just suffer the same fate. Technology is quickly overtaking any measures the companies put in place. Card sharing, streaming etc...

2. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hoist the Jolly Roger me hearties...

3. Red

RedMonk Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think people pirating streams has any effect Sky. For every person streaming illegally there will be countless people paying full price for Sky and keep paying it even when they increase their prices.

4. kor

korky Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    i have a dodgy sky box with nearly every channel going, but also a pukka sky box with sports and basic stuff, granted i get 60% off subs, but the missus would drive me nuts with all the ****** she watches and the excellent sky+ takes care of it.
    the other just gets used for movies and bt sport, can record on it but can't be arsed with the memory card and setting a timer

5. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have a better box which with 7 day epg record and watch shows at same time etc, just like having a sky+ box.

sky turned a blind eye to card sharing at one bit, but i think its now much bigger than they would like and now the streaming is becoming ever more popular.

I know loads who have jacked in sky recently

6. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    its like a 10 minute job to get it all - install kodi and the iptv app and a couple others and bang - you have all sky, nbc, movies etc etc...

cant see how it wont not hurt sky. Esp as people are flogging the boxes for the average joe now in addition to just banging it on ya pc/mac.

7. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    IPTV Stalker is gone from the 15th unless you pay for it. Loads of other options though

Sent from my SM-G800F using Forum Runner

8. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I have literally no idea what you are trying to say with this sentence.

9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't have Sky or a box but if it fcuks them up I could be tempted.

10. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    same as owt else with these things - if one goes another pops up.

11. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I see what you mean lol

Maybe i'll get the job as BFC's media man to write their tweets.

12. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember watching the spokesman for the worldwide phonographic industry ( Sony etc) bemoaning piracy, and saying 4 out of every 5 CD's sold worldwide was a pirate....the people he represented were collectively making billions on the 1 out of 5 he claimed they sold....how obscene would their profits have been had they also sold the other 4?

13. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They wouldn't. There are things I have that purely cos I could get them for free I have. Put something in place to force me to pay I simply wouldn't have bothered.

That said it has actually resulted in me buying stuff I wouldn't if I didn't have others for free.

Plus if they sold things at a respectable price to start with I might not be tempted to download anyway.

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I don't think that's necessarily true. While the encrypted signal used for OnDigital and, subsequently, ITV digital's paid service was cracked, and some people did take advantage of this with dodgy cards and boxes, that wasn't the major factor in their collapse. BSkyB had just as many, if not more, problems with dodgy cards and boxes during the 90s, but, despite it scaring them to death, it ultimately had little effect on their profits.

ITV digital's major problem was that the service they provided was crap. In all sorts of ways from the content available to the technology they used in terms of both hardware and software. Sky provided a much better and often cheaper package. When ITV digital were asking £200 for the boxes, Sky offered them for free. Sky continually undercut ITV digital on subscription fees, offered more channels and better content.

The final nail in the coffin for ITV digital was when they paid way over the odds for a product that no one was really that interested in. They massively overestimated the number of people who would sign up for the service on the back of them securing the rights to show football league matches, and how much they could subsequently charge for advertisements based on their projected viewing figures. They looked at the attendance figures across the three divisions in the football league and formulated a price for the rights based on that and what Sky were paying for the Premier League. They thought they'd found an untapped audience.

What they failed to take in to account was that while hundreds of thousands of us will turn up every week and put up with no end of ***** from our own club, we wouldn't dream of watching such dross on the telly when it's served up by a club we don't care about. While there are some hardcore football supporters who would take perverse pleasure from watching Port Vale and Crewe grind out a 0-0 draw, despite not supporting either club, the vast majority of armchair supporters want to watch the best on offer and would much prefer to watch Liverpool v Man Utd. For blindingly obvious reasons that appeared to escape the attentions of ITV digital's executives.

No one has been daft enough to pay much for the rights to football league matches since and the product is now undervalued as the rights are considered toxic. The football league clubs never got the money from ITV Digital and have been underselling themselves ever since.

While subscription television services are extremely vigilant about protecting their copyrighted material, they no longer lose much sleep about those who get the service for free. They would prefer it not to happen and take steps to prevent it, but they no longer invest the same amount of resources to stop it. The understanding is that the vast majority who get content for free would not pay for it if that was the only option. Huge amounts of money spent on shutting down a pirate service does not result in more people taking out paid subscriptions. Many people get it for free or don't watch it all. If they have to pay, they'll just go without.

I'm tech savvy. I could, if I so wished, download or stream for free every film, TV show, sporting event or music album I cared to watch/listen to. But I don't. I do download some music for evaluation purposes but still spend too much money buying singles and albums. I buy box set DVDs and Blu-rays. I pay for Amazon prime, which gives me prime instant video, I subscribe to Love Film by post, and I pay for Talk-Talk's TV package as part of my broadband service. Ridiculous really as I hardly watch any telly, but that's besides the point. I don't have a go at people who download stuff for free or use pirate channels, I really don't care, but it's not something I'm comfortable with doing myself. Of all the crimes in the world, copyright infringement by watching pirate TV channels is probably the least severe, but I prefer not to do it. I'm not alone in that, I share a similar view with millions of other and while I've never subscribed to a Sky channel, there will always be enough people who enjoy the content Sky offer who will continue to pay for the service and ensure the survival of the company. It's up to you whether or not you think that's a good thing or bad, but I would say that without folk paying for stuff, nothing would ever get made.

15. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Itv digital paid £1.2m per game for lower league and cup football. They had just 60,000 viewers for a Sheffield Wednesday game which had a ticket price of £10 meaning it would have been cheaper to but everyone who wanted to watch the game a ticket, a pie and a pint than it was to put it on TV.

That's the basic reason they went under