It would be good to hear from the Board or the CEO on the following

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I still haven't been to Stormbird or Brick but both are on my list. Stormbird has been on for years. BBNo have an arch in Peckham now as well as the one in Bermondsey.

The new Four Pure Tap Room is HUGE! I get less and less excited about the Bermondsey Beer Mile these days, but it will be good for Millwall away and a pre-Christmas shindig.

2. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm 99.9% certain that members of our board read this forum. They'd be crazy not to. The first and easiest point of call to get a general feel for how the supporters feel about all issues, not just the current one.

Stahlrost likes this.
  3. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Agree with you about beer mile, now overrun with stags who are mullered by midday!

Bbno (Peckham) is now officially our local, had a to ol takeover a few weeks ago and thankfully a few left on. Only 10-12 min walk from home

Have you been to Mercato metropolitano at elephant and castle? Went last Friday and it was heaving... had an Oktoberfest event which really enjoyed and now seems a German craft brewery onsite... first time I’d been since it first opened.

You’ve got to do Stormbird, especially when it gets colder and stouts are on, went other week and they had Amundsens and neon raptor on... great little bar (very quiet Sunday’s)

A bit of an institution like mother Kelly’s and cask and the Albion in Kingston

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect the billion is a media figure based on the value of the businesses.
    Great night out in Bristol, enjoy.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  5. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One of the London Tykes lives in Peckham. He's quite frequently in Stormbird and Brick, so you've probably been drinking with a Barnsley fan and not realised!

Mercato Metro is phenomenal. I was on a study tour of beer venues in London and finished there at the Italian beer bar. I'm still not fully sold on Mother Kelly's, but I think that's because I like a proper pub with a great beer range. That's why I'm in full agreement on the Albion in Kingston. What a pre-match pub that is for AFC WImbledon.

6. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are a few mother Kelly’s, visited the Stratford one a few weeks ago, modern, but more a bar than train underpass!

I like mother Kelly’s largely because they pretty much always have their raspberry imp stout collab x pohjala on!

#easilypleased

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  7. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All this craft beer talk is making me thirsty.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I noticed you looked at Mr Lee's investment company website the other day. What was your impression?
    Have you tried contacting them for further information?

9. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Erm... it didn’t really seem to have any content of note at all. I’ll do more research next week.

I know a fair few turnaround practitioners and people involved in corporate recovery and insolvency so I’m going to see if I can catch up with them and see what they know of this pair. I’ve not done a great deal of networking in that realm for a few years, but I can get back in touch with people I have on LinkedIn and see what that turns up. It’s a pretty incestuous pot in UK, but may well be a different pool they’ve tended to swim in til they bought us.

10. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    The weak pound will increase the value of the club when translated to say dollars or whatever currency they may use to hedge against it. Not huge amounts and I’ve not translated the difference but a few percent dip on £10m to £20m isn’t inconsiderable.

I don’t think now would be the time to sell (though the value pre ground buy back could be at a zenith if we get relegated and have to fire sale players to suddenly offset long contracts.

What was first perceived good (longer contract length) could become a financial crippling millstone upon relegation.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I call it a shell website, but that's a term I've coined myself. The internet is concerned with fake websites that claim to offer goods, provide a means by which to pay, then don't provide the goods. This isn't that at all. This is an attempt to display a presence. Like photos in Times Square and media reports of Billionaires. In essence, we have this great company and here's our website. Neither exist in anything you or I would call real.

You stated you weren't up to billions yet. If you find 7 figures give me a shout because I'd be very surprised.

There's a rabbit hole you're just about to fall down.

Kettlewell and TitusMagee like this.
  12. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s genuinely no evidence of wealth behind either of the named owners, other than perhaps assets and even then it’s sketchy. And I’ve seen nothing in their time here to suggest they’ve spent a penny on us.

Oh for a journalist to do some research or ask the question.

13. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But isn't it in the way of very wealthy people to hold their assets beyond the public gaze?

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Personal assets yes. But you can usually find something about the businesses they own that have such colossal turnover to have made them billionaires.
    Richard Branson is a billionaire, I'm not struggling to find anything about Virgin. In fact, you look at any legitimate rich list and the companies to which these people owe their fortune are not difficult to find.
    What's the Web presence like of the companies to which our directors owe their vast wealth, that makes the afore mentioned Branson look like a pauper?

Kettlewell likes this.
  15. Lan

Lancesbro Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

16. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My suspicion is Conway is the key in this, if you research his history, which is more visible, it is clear he raises money from investors to buy companies.
    Pacific Media do exist as an entity as there are various programmes financed by these in the Asian market, but New City I would suspect is some sort of vehicle for moving money and nothing more.

Kettlewell likes this.
  17. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So what u are saying is we are a very large laundrette

shed131, Kettlewell and Redhelen like this.
  18. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    7 days inn was sold for around 320m and Chien lee was co founder though it’s not clear when his interests diluted or ceased, so even a watered down stake would reach 7 figures, it will take time but looking at the holding company structures would help

What I will say, capital and equity companies don’t really need a website.

It’s about contacts, referrals and introductions and networking.

So a token web presence isn’t a red flag for me.

What I don’t understand is the intensive time a billionaire is spending for a company with such a small turnover

Chef Tyke likes this.
  19. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    I’ve not looked at conways interests yet, I’m trying to find a thread to follow with new city first as that has the link with our club and hoping that will open up other companies and a chain. Not expectant, but I’ll see who I can get to help next week

Kettlewell likes this.
  20. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I probably sit with Jay in terms of skepticism around the owners' wealth. Your last paragraph in particular around the time involved baffles me too and has done for some time. I suspect Lee is less involved than Conway, however still don't understand why Conway would divert as much attention away from his main income sources.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.