It's time to drop home ticket prices. Significantly.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gravy Chips, Feb 4, 2018.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The key is short term budgeting against long term strategy. Lack of finance under previous owners has always dictated the former. I'd hope the new owners will take a hit on gate revenues for a few years in an effort to genuinely build up the fan base.

Gordon Owen likes this.
  2. man

manicminergb Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    oap =£155 per week - electric=30 rates =20= car= 30 does not apply to me but does to a lot of others. Answer= can they find even £14 not including costs =car park etc.
    answer = £10 or less and free parking -better to have maybe 1000 more supporters than 200 =and club could use opposition end= register with club -given an oap pass with understanding that large away support would mean having access to other parts of ground when necessary

3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the club give ridiculously cheap season tickets to pensioners if they have been going a number of years, and also let them share those tickets with fellow pensioners if they can't get to games.

How many kids would go to the game with their grandparents and get the bug?

I don't like the thought that someone who has gone for decades being priced out and forgotten, especially bearing in mind the recent issues with loneliness amongst the elderly.

Get em down to Oakwell and make them feel appreciated for their past support.

Redstone, Baka and Gravy Chips like this.
  4. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm in vancouver as we speak...jetlagged to ****

5. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its a shame , because I am in the fortunate
    Well I am an OAP & I consider the price I pay now to be cheap & the point about the grandkids is valid as I took up the offer of a free season ticket for my youngest grandson when he was six & now he is approaching fifteen & has a juvenile ticket , well & truly hooked. I personally do not think the club get enough credit for their juvenile pricing structure , not only with free season tickets but match day tickets bought in advance are within the cheapest in the league

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All the pensioners I know are bloody loaded. It's their kids and grandkids who are struggling. The baby boomers are the most fortunate group in society. I'd be making them pay full price.

7. fit

Yes but you eat babies

8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ??

9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I paid full price for nigh on 50 years & when I was an apprentice & then bringing up the kids for many years it was a struggle to pay for any kind of leisure , the cycle of life is still the same . Incidentally , if you think all pensioners are loaded , you are mistaken , ask my bank manager !

10. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would prefer more was done to help younger fans. Those with a young family, mortgage etc, who if you get them hooked you could have around for half a century if they live long enough.

When you're elderly that's when you expect to have more money for leisure when kids have moved on, house is paid off and government give you stuff like winter fuel allowance and free prescriptions.

11. Dod

DodworthRover Well-Known Member

Steel Worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They could give3000 tickets to schools or students rather than have empty seats

12. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes & when you pay national insurance & income tax for 50 years its great to receive £144 per week to cover everything . Regarding kids , free season tickets for under 12"s or £5 entrance for juveniles , I do not think you can complain about that too much

13. fit

Agree, but the bond between kids and grandparents is very strong so you could be killing two birds with one stone.

Having said that, I'm open to whatever works.

14. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I sort of agree with the sentiment.

But if I was to pick holes in the bucket that is those figures there’d be more hole than bucket.

The numbers you tout are massively out. One in six st holders dont turn up? Behave. Nowhere near that amount. 5%, maybe 10. Not as many as 17 to 20%.

The attendance figures you have would also include the st holders not there - as they are included in official attendances.

You also have absolutely no idea on the split of adults and concessions. We are well known to have a much higher proportion of oap st holders than a lot of clubs for a start. We gave kids of various ages some of whom get free st’s, some very cheap. ST income is therefore possibly overegged. Not too far off though perhaps.

But even still if you think we make twice as much on match ticket sales as we do on st’s I’d wager you are massively out there too.

I do agree pricing has got excessive. But I don’t see why this club with its business savvy owners would do such a thing as drastically underprice compared to rival clubs.

We have had many low priced games which haven’t massively increased attendances. Why would folk all of a sudden start to come more often if they knew it was the same cheap price every week?

If they are going to write off a few million as you suggest for a couple of years, better to do it on some decent wages, improve the product. The crowds will look after themselves if we start winning every week. Though to be clear I neither want nor expect them to start allowing money to haemorrhage.

This summer they will be getting increased sponsorship into place and maximising exposure to Indian and far eastern markets.

If we survive this season, touch wood we will, then the increased revenue streams they are hoping to generate will allow for sustained growth and ongoing improvement. I’m not sure drastic plans to cut ticket pricing would have any real effect other than reducing income. Fair weather fans won’t spend either £10 or £36 if the team stays crap.

When i go to to the cinema usually at least half the seats are empty. I don’t reckon odeon, vue and cineworld have any intention of cutting prices to get in - or charging less than a fiver for warm stale nachos.

All forms of entertainment are getting cost prohibitive for working folk. That’s due to the cost of living increasing and the wages not reciprocating more than anything. Folk might buy more pints if they were £2 rather than £3.50 - but amazingly no matter how skint people generally seem to still drink and smoke the same amount, price regardless.

Football could be cheaper. The place to start is at the top where the clubs can afford to lose some gate income. I don’t see Arsenal volunteering to cut to £20 a game. Why the bloody hell would Barnsley? Tottenham will charge all sorts at their new ground. I can’t imagine Wednesday all of a sudden dropping to £15 to get in the sty.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018