I've never liked the Transfer window

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Sep 7, 2017.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It creates an over inflation of prices, (if that's even possible in football) panic buying, all fuelled by Sky f.#ckin Sports, celebration of multi billion pound spending as if it's the best thing ever.

What I've never understood is how the transfer window is not a "restriction of trade"? Does anyone know why?

I'd absolutely love some Bosman type figure to go and blow it out of the window. Let's have "The McBurnie Ruling".

RedKestrel likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Teams would then come and nick our players at any point during the season. At least this way, whoever we have left by the end of January we'll still have by seasons end. Don't think we would have won promotion had the transfer window not shut. Half our team would have been sold in March/April.

Chef Tyke likes this.
  3. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with that, but in some instances, (Yiadom, for example), we may have been better off with a player just leaving, rather than having a long period of uncertainty. Obviously I realise ultimately, the injury got in the way, but the attention over a concentrated period did nothing to help his performances.
    The mad scramble on Deadline Day is probably the most cringeworthy thing I can think of. Football Clubs trying to look like professional. reputable businesses, and all of them falling victim to the cards being played by Agents. Absolutely hate it.

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me neither, I do like bay windows though.

5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I always preferred the square window - never a great fan of the round window ( for those old enough to remember)

6. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I really like the idea of every club in each division having exactly the same budget for the season - so if the Sky deal for the Premier League is £1bn /season then each team has a maximum transfer spend (agents, wages, loans and fees) of £50mn / season and can only spend extra what they take in. So e.g. Swansea get the same starting budget as Chelsea and Man City. If a team sells a player for £10mn, then they can also spend some or all of that on other players. Maximum of 25 players over 23 too and 25 in the U23s squad - so a maximum of 50 players that they can register for the season. All budgets have to be published by September and 1pt deduction per £100,000 overspend. It a team wants to spend £100m on a player they start with a massive points deduction or can't play them in the league (just UEFA matches).

Once the season kicks off, then that is it you are stuck with the players you have. It would sort out the men from the boys in the management/coach world and make it a lot more even and exciting for fans. Would also stop the allegations of "financial doping" leveled towards Man City and PSG.

churtonred likes this.
  7. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    The problem with that though is that teams such as Man U genuinely generate a lot more revenue through gates and merchandising than teams like Swansea, not to mention the extra income from Europe so you cant expect them to have the same budget for players. Not to mention that can only work if all clubs in Europe are covered by a similar formula otherwise English clubs would lose all their better players to countries that could pay higher wages whilst ours are artificially capped

Googs likes this.
  8. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    the transfer window is utter rubbish, however im surprised the premier league have decided to end it before the season has begun. I can of course see the logic but its a massive disadvantage if the rest of Europe are still trading players. football has truly eaten itself.