Jeremy Corbyn

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Dragon Tyke, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Again that is not correct most international commentators praised the actions of the Labour government in response to the financial crisis and have criticised the ongoing austerity as being economically illiterate.

2. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Corporation Tax would still be the lowest in the western world and exactly half of what it was under Thatcher. Other than opinion you have nothing to back up your claims.

3. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    In 2008 the deficit was approx £15bn. It rocketed in 2009 and 2010 in my opinion as a result of the financial crisis. Do you think that Labour did not have control over the deficit from 1997 to 2009 ? Also, what in your opinion did Labour do wrong during the crisis ? BTW I'm not doing this as a wind up, I am genuinely interested.

4. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not opinion but the fact that Corporation Tax revenues have increased. Conversely there is nothing to support the raising of Corporation Tax or taxing the top 5% of earners will generate the revenues to support the partly 'costed' Labour manifesto....and economic experts claim it wont and there is a £50 billion gap (not my opinion). Similarly low income tax models have had the same positive impact on revenue and having more people in work, rather than relying on state benefits is clearly beneficial. To me it seems obvious that at a time where we will lose access to the EU single market and customs union, we need to compensate and encourage business investment which may, as they already are, be tempted to relocate. Negotiating free trade agreements outside of the EU and having a low taxation model is the best way of achieving this IMO. To increase corporation tax and still having retention of the customs onion as a negotiating point would be damaging on investment and our ability to explore new markets.

Tekkytyke likes this.
  5. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry mate economic experts or some bloke on the internet who believes some things might happen without recourse to facts. I know who I'm going to go with.

When Labour brought in the minimum wage it was going to cause job losses it didn't. When Osbourne created his bastardised Living Wage it was going to cost jobs it didn't. You may be happy to pay taxes to allow FTSE to 100 companies like Capita to pay peanuts and be propped up with state help through tax credits a lot of people aren't. Of course you use the money saved not paying tax credits to help SME's.

dartonpete and leebrilleaux like this.
  6. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No they were not

Given you are an obvious economic expert, what should the government have done during that crisis?

7. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It hasn't yet but it hasn't reached £9 per hour.
    Couldn't agree more but I'm not sure that it will be utilized in that way.

I am however, concerned about differentials but in principle I agree with the living wage.

8. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No I'm not happy about that and it is one of the many social injustices that needs to be tackled. I'm not against a minimum wage/living wage but I am equally supportive of the fact that people should keep more of their earnings, regardless of how much that is. I am not envious of those who earn vasts amount of money....good luck to them, but it is about creating a fairer society where hard working people are suitably rewarded. Real life experience shows you that life simply isn't fair sometimes and Robin Hood politics doesn't make it any fairer.....there are other ways to distribute wealth and that starts with giving an opportunity to all, regardless of background, faith, ethnicity etc.

9. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I honestly cannot answer that with any assurance of fact......so falling into the same trap of accusational politics and hearsay......the position I have been led to believe from an independent party is that Labour continued to spend public finances uncontrollably

Tekkytyke likes this.
  10. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Public finances were absolutely not out of control. A global crash and £1t to prop up the banks is the principle reason for the debt, followed by a stimulus package. The tories planned to match Labours investment as they feared they were seen as a nasty cutting low regulation party.... rightly.

Sadly, in a populist move, Ed M failed to justify the Keynsian stimulus that was working under Brown (review the GDP period just before 2010 and just after, followed by a sharp fall when those stimulus measures were immediately ceased).

Investment can work. Rampant spending for no reason won't.

I'm not a fan of Corbyn at all, but the problems have stemmed from continued sluggish tax takes, a lack of true economic growth and huge underemployment despite record levels of jobs (allegedly). I'm not sure his plans are Keynsian. Fully costed is just another soundbite. And my biggest concern is a shift to left politics at a time that we leave the EU and are in limbo for a number of years. Of course some businesses will do ok, but many won't if they face tariffs and our exports are suddenly uncompetitive.

Redstar likes this.
  11. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That makes perfect sense to me. My concern that was New Labour and Old Labour would concern me greatly.

12. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Bit wishy washy mate :D no assurance of fact s and as you say, hearsay.

13. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed, you got me there!
    Need to focus on the facts

14. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would he look at the camera? The interviewer would be positioned to the right or left of it - would look weird if JC looked at the camera and not them.

15. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the **** storm of Brexit is far more of a pressing issue and we all know who we have to thank for that. If food tariffs are 30/40 percent as Davis outlined to the Brexit committee because of CAP a lot of small businesses will fold.

As far as I understand it Labour's policy is to assist all businesses with less than 50 employees to pay £10 per hour. Of course there will still be losers at the margins but that's inevitable.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

16. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Much better to be on a grass verge in the middle of nowhere with small contingent of the converted with great placards stating strong and stable.
    The Tories have done absolutely nothing to grow our economy ,all they have done is divided and rule and we all know what war mongering re tards love these tactics.

17. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Funny .
    You light the blue touch paper and retire .
    Took your minds off bfc until ...
    Tomorrow !
    FIXTURE DAY !
    Happy days .

18. How

HowMuch! Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry son don't read any of them but thanks for clearing up about Paddy Corbyn .
    Did you know he was instrumental in open door immigration policy in the 70's .
    He taught them one English phrase ...
    I claim asylum !
    So they got a six month visa AND surprise surprise (in my best cilla voice) they disappeared .

19. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  20. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is the bit I don't like in Tory justification, either. Apparently we're almost at full employment, or it's less than 4% unemployed. How many of these new jobs created are zero-hour/part-time/Uber-gig-economy things? How many are proper full time work?

I know full time isn't want everyone wants or needs, but I reckon the proportions on new jobs since 2010 will not be the same as the broader employment spectrum.