John stones

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Scholesisgod, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair he was at fault ( or did Falcao skill beat him) for one goal last night yet for every goal conceded the cameras focused in on Stones . McManaman hit the nail on the head when he said Stones was surrounded by defenders he didn't trust , including the keeper

2. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Not a position where you need all those skills, I'd much rather have a strong no-nonsense John Terry type who'd stick his head in and clear the ball.

3. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought stones did littlw wrong last night exept the goal. Otemendi had a nightmare he was at fault for the ball over the top which lead to a goal and then gave a pen away and should have been sent off but everyone focuses on stones mistake. Don't know how much of citeh or stones you have seen this season but I'm working with some city st holders who live in Manchester their take on him is he was abit shakey at the beginning of the season was dropped and scince he has come back done really well. They say the way pep sets the team up leaves the center backs exposed 1 on 1 like stones was with falcao too often all and has done all season.

4. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But the point is that John Terry would never fit into a Guardiola team The bizarre thing about this is that it appears that Man City fans don't give Stones much stick (the ones I speak to at least). In fact quite the opposite. Perhaps because they are in a better position to judge?

5. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A very naturally talented player with great vision and passing ability. But...what if someone (ie us) identified several years ago, that he would probably have forged a better reputation as a midfielder?
    I've thought this for years and take no joy out of watching his defensive reputation slide.
    Send him back to us for a year, and we'll send City back the new Yaya Toure.

6. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he is one of the best English if not all of the defenders in the Premiership. I also think he is up there with the best at his age globally. Not just because he is from Barnsley but i often see his blocks, tackles and passing where others just see his hesitation on the ball occasionally. Players don't get 100% right, just look at Totenhams superstar centre halves who have been shaken of late, Leicester league champions and Bailey last night for Man Utd. We can all find a falut in em all.

So to add a different angle. Just which defenders are head and shoulders above Stones right now. We should really measure like for like, English, age etc but lets just ask who in the Prem is a better centre half over this season?

7. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's 22 (23 this year) - so he's never going to develop as a player then ? Under Guardiola ? This is as good as he's going to get is it ?

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is a good point. The only two stand outs for me have been Luiz & Alderweireld & if you look at them Luiz was a lot worse than Stones at Stones' current age.

It's getting harder for defenders to look good with all this high pressing & possession football, when it's given away defenders often get left isolated.

9. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree and Alderweireld has been great but no so this last month or two. Therein lies the issue, all defenders have moments in games. Haven't seen one who hasn't this season. But when you work through every central defender i struggle to see many as good or better

10. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Harry McGuire has the straight line speed of a bus though which is his downfall.

Sent from space using satellites and things

11. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Eric Dyer tonight for spurs, wonder if he'll get the scrutiny stones gets? Because he was utter w##k for Ghents 3rd goal.

12. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love John Stones as a footballer but I do think he still has a lot to learn about the positions he takes up defending his own box. It surprises me the coaches have't developed that part of his game. I don't think he has been helped by the variety of fellow defenders and goalkeepers he has been playing with. At times he doesn't know whether to 'stick or twist' and I think that has a lot to do with the confidence he has in people around him. Kompany has barely played, Otamendi is awful and the fullbacks, mainly Sagna and Clichy never provide any cover. Kolarov is a good footballer but doesn't have the instincts of a CB and the least said about Bravo the better.
    I think he could easily develop into a holding midfielder, I see nothing in Dier to suggest Stones couldn't play a similar role. I may wear rose tinted glasses because he is one of our own but I do think Guardiola and Mourinho know a player when they see one.