José Morais appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Ironjaw94, Mar 31, 2018.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

We have to give him next season in league one if it comes to that. Same chance as Hecky had.

Hecky could only work with good players, Morais deserves the chance as well.

2. fit

All in all, I find it very difficult to criticise a manager after just 8 games.

Not just any 8 games either, 8 games in an absolutely abysmal season when we have generally been out of our depth in terms of quality where it matters, have broken records and are currently on course for a lower points tally than our previous relegation season.

I don't know what people were expecting of Morais given the tools he's got to work with.

Yeah he's got Mcburnie, but it's not all about us. The other problem is the quality in depth that most other clubs have at this level.

It was always going to be a tall order for him, and so it's proving to be.

redrum, Kettlewell and Redstar like this.
  3. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Outside of Moncur who played wide when Isgrove & Hedges weren’t fit who did he play out of position?

4. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t believe he should’ve got the job when he did. Just my opinion but 5 points from Burton, Hull, Birmingham & Norwich wasn’t enough & we needed someone coming in who knew the league & a bit about our team & wouldn’t need to learn lots about the players or our opposition.

If Morais took over in June & had 2 months pre-season then he’d have a much better chance of succeeding.

What I have found funny is how many Barnsley fans there are who were saying we were going to be this seasons Rotherham back in August & that the squad wasn’t up to it who’ve now completely changed their tune because they’ve got the munk on about Hecky going to Leeds & now try to make out he did a bad job in the first half of the season with us.

These comparisons between Hecky’s last games & Morais’ first few are stupid as well. Operating with different teams. Having McBurnie & Moore has completely changed our team & enabled us to hold the ball up & get up the pitch.

Jimmy viz and Fonzie like this.
  5. MappRed

MappRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you can’t appreciate that PH did it then there’s absolutely no point in discussing it as you’ve already made your mind up.

redrum likes this.
  6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Genuinely can’t remember it been a thing, someone posted the same a while back & I asked him for examples & all he said was Potts out wide but he’s a player who played both centrally & out wide a lot for Blackpool so neither are out of position for him

7. fit

You could also say Pearson played all across the back 4 at Accrington, but as a championship full back he's out of position for me.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are this years Roterham but so are 3 other teams. Any other year we would have been adrift at the bottom.

9. Glenn Tremble

Glenn Tremble Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Standard of play has been much better under Morais, it’s just his management skills when in a winning position that really raises questions but either way, I’m thankful we’re rid of Heckingwank. Doing a stellar job at Weeds isn’t he?...

10. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Rotherham went down with about 23 points all season & were cut adrift , currently none of the bottom 3 are cut adrift & all can still survive , there is no way that any of the sides can be classed as this years Rotherham & if it is purely down to getting relegated then why are we not this years Wigan or Blackburn . I think we get tagged as this years Rotherham because one or two of our fans labelled us that even before a ball was kicked & feel the need use it to say " I told you so " now we have dropped into the bottom three

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Mowatt out wide Potts out wide moncur out wide 3 examples. As soon as someone though jose was playing Potts on the wing Saturday they had the pitch forks out never know double standards like it from some on here.

OxRed likes this.
  12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think We already have more points that rotherham managed all season

13. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So 2 players Mowatt & Potts who weren’t out of position as they’ve played there plenty of times before & Moncur who played there when Hedges & Isgrove were injured & Barnes had gone back to Leicester.

14. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Harsh to include Burton I don't think he had much time to even know the players names.
    What about since last Jan to the summer hecky still had a good squad robo, yiadom, matty James, josh scowern, Marley watkins, ryan Kent, tom Bradshaw. He managed 3 wins from January to end of season and 2 of those came against relegated sides.

15. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rotherham finished with 23, Wigan 41 and Blackburn went with 51, piping Forest who also had 51..

Cant see us getting near Wigan's 41 tbh..

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Mowatt has never been a winger and Potts played there at league 2 level to fill a gap. Moncur also had never played that position in his life. We had other options he didn't have to play moncur out of position.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  17. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Again, they might not be good there but they’ve played the role plenty of times. If you’re including them as out of position then it’s just scraping the barrel, might as well include Yiadom playing left back.

The other option was Mottley-Henry who couldn’t get a game in league 2. Moncur played well there against Fulham, kept his place in a second game but then didn’t play well so got took out.

18. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Again mowatt and moncur had never played on the wing before in their careers.
    He could have played hedges or DMH both natural wingers. If anyone else excpt hecky did that you would of gave them hell. Like I said he still had a good team from January last season but only managed 3 wins 2 against relegated sides because of his negative tactics.

OxRed likes this.
  19. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    McCarthy came on in the 88th minute. He was on the field for 7 minutes of the game including stoppage.

Potts may have come off but Moore was injured so had to come off.

In McCarthys short career he has played right back, centre back, left back, right wing and centre mid.

Last season he played 8 games as a right winger for Walsall.

As a right back his best trait is his ability to bomb forward, putting McCarthy on certainly isn’t a negative substitution and not one that invites pressure.

For the goal Bristol City attacked down our left hand side and the ball ended up in possession of a Bristol player in our right backs position. Surely the perfect scenario there was for us to have TWO natural right backs defending that area. That’s exactly what we had but McCarthy failed to do his job and as a result let down the trust Jose had put in him.

How can Jose possibly get the blame for McCarthys inability to complete the basics of quickly closing down the cross?

If Bradshaw had have come on for Moore and we’d conceded I can guarantee people would be coming on here saying Jose was naive and should have brought McCarthy/Pinnock on and claimed it would have been job done.

He made exactly the right changes and two players who aren’t good enough made basic errors which let him down.

OxRed, Redstar and Red CB like this.
  20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No offence but I’m out. It’s like talking to a numpty telling me what I would’ve done when you haven’t got a clue

Jimmy viz likes this.