Just had a walk in to Barnsley town centre

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by thetykester, Jul 12, 2019.

1. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok then, don't

2. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'm not, because I'm capable of seeing and talking about the negatives in the situation as well as the positives.

3. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Have you seen some of the threads started by the Tarn knockers ?
    We all know about the problems with these people and we know it’s from the Tory Austerity programme especially Mays policies as Home Secretary . But Barnsley and the council are trying to lift the Town maybe people don’t agree with the things being done for one reason or another but the effort and goodwill is there in abundance from people who care about our town.
    The problem will not go away by just hiding them away .
    Yes they need to be moved on as they’re actions and deeds especially vociferously are becoming more aggressive but we need to deal with that nationally and aim for the suppliers .
    Every time someone pulls the Town down because of these people is not helpful at all , Barnsley can’t deal with s national problem on its own so to keep coming out with it’s a shithole is lazy imo .
    Barnsley are doing great things and need help nationally with other problems.

Hooky feller and LiverpoolRed like this.
  4. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ha, pardon me, I very much doubt this is the fist time any poster on here been told to fck off, I don't really care which way this thread goes, that's not what I was aiming for.

5. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Youll not at that time. They dont tend to drift from their hovels until around lunchtime. Get mangled until abouthalf 6 then drift back off...

Policing and weathet dependant.

6. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alright then, you go for it tiger.

7. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tarn knockers.

Those words unglazed my eyes. Just for a while.

Anyway, carry on disputing....

PLOBBY likes this.
  8. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    So you tell folk to fukk off just because you've seen other people do it? This sounds like a conversation you'd have with a 5 year old.

I'm chuffed you love our town, so do I but don't mistake a busy town centre on a warm July day as a town that is like that all the time.

9. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Your not Cosmo Smallpiece in disguise are you?

10. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same everywhere. Parts of Keighley are lovely - Cliffe Park & castle, the war memorial & gardens, Church Green, and of course Haworth and the Worth Valley steam railway, but the town centre is a disgrace. We’ve got vape shops, phone shops, charity shops, cash converters galore. There’s a few names still hanging on - Boots, WHS etc - but I’ll give them a year. And the area by the bus station, particularly on benefits day, is like the Village Of The Damned. If ever you need evidence of systematic inbreeding, come to Keighley on a Monday. But it’s my town now, K-Town, and I love living here.

11. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I Never said it was like that all the time, and I would have said your older than 5.

12. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    But that's what you said, essentially it's brilliant, you didn't see any smackrats and anyone who disagrees with you can fukk off.

I am older than 5, thank you for noticing.

13. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Even by your ‘interesting’ counting method, is it just me that thinks 5 druggies sprawled our off their head is a lot to be out in the open, for a town centre as small as ours?

14. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still missing the point.

15. Vesp77

Vesp77 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Good morning sunshine.

You're missing my point, I'm arguing the toss with you cos you decided to get all mouthy in your first post. You want to make your point, go for it. You want to start a discussion, no problem. But you went in windmilling for no reason.

16. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What's the difference between now and the 1960s and 70s?
    I remember Barnsley heaving with shoppers all those years ago, seemed ok, no lowlife, the occasional drunk but that was accepted.
    I don't live in Barnsley so I'm asking, who are these people you're talking about? Are they locals or incomers?
    In the past the comparison say between Barnsley and Bradford was obvious as far as ethnic population was concerned but has this mix now altered? I've heard a lot of problems have been to do with unwelcome immigrants into town but is this true? Has the town sunk to a low due to this or are there other factors?

17. BBB

BBBFC Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The internet and online shopping removing most brands from the high street, and the failure of various governments to adjust policy (ie rates) to keep up with this.

Secondly, the turn of culture since the 80s demarcating receipt of benefits as shameful, rather than a simple state handout (dole) to keep you going between jobs, and or to adjust for certain incapacities (housing, maternity, disability) while working. One certain leader played a large part in this, and it was multiplied by the press, an effect still seen today.

John Peachy likes this.
  18. Trickster Two Six

Trickster Two Six Well-Known Member

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately the dole is no longer summat to keep you going between jobs and has been a way of life chosen by many fir a long long time now. The uncomfortable truth is that many folk are better off on benefits than working for low wages. Wages kept low by the unending supply of cheap migrant labour. Just walked throughScarborough town centre and its a **** hole, cheap shops cheap people paid cheap wages. Thank you tony blair.

19. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Seems to be a lot of anger on this thread TBH.
    Over 50 years ago as a 13 year old our family moved to Barnsley from Blackpool (in the twilight years of its popularity and still thriving). Barnsley was a bustling thriving market town and 'rough as a Badgers ar*e' (sorry Mr Badger).

HOWEVER; it was a work hard play hard town full of pride and honest hardworking down to earth folk. There was I seem to remember- although may have dreamt that one up - a NCB 'recruiting' office in town and the town centre was vibrant, albeit there were 'bugger all' restaurants in town at night Aloha upstairs and Wimpy bar (which closed about 8pm) plus a Chinese bottom of Sheffield road and Mortons chippy was open till 11pm

There often seemed to be few ' beer fuelled' fisticuffs Fri-Sat outside the White Hart in Peel square which were usually dealt with by Bill the local bobby or fizzled out naturally but the town never felt threatening.

Move on 50 years, post collapse of local heavy industry (glass and coal) and despite the relative affluence (dont snigger/moan- most people are far more materialistic and have far more than people had in the 50s and 60s) and the self respect and pride has evaporated. YES - there was no exit plan when the pits closed and YES the region has been passed by when it comes to help from Central Government BUT, like others have pointed out, personal choices are the main factor when it comes opportunity. It seemed to become fashionable to regard working at school to be 'uncool' and those that did have often been the target of bullies. People still have opportunities to develop. Coming from Barnsley is NOT a barrier to getting on as one or two on here seem to argue. A few, seen by some on here a minority as 'victims' in all but a very few instances have only themselves to blame.
    Whilst it is true that growing up in a family where two or three generations have never had any gainful employment is hard but, again, by making the right choices, and ignoring peer pressure, one can break the cycle. Many successful people have come from disadvantaged backgrounds
    It comes down to 'responsibility' over 'rights'. Those that realise the World does NOT owe them a living and it is up to them to make something of themselves are those that will succeed. Most do but a few fall by the wayside. Making excuses for those choosing a 'benefits lifestyle' by blaming Governments does a disservice to those who through no fault of their own find themselves in difficulty as the Benefits budget can only stretch so far.

Austiniho likes this.
  20. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)