Just saying .......

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Andy Mac, Apr 12, 2017.

1. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Too many people would rather concentrate on the few negatives in a great couple of seasons

2. YTB

YTBFC Guest

My last word tonight as I'm off to bed with a matchday on the horizon, but I've heard nothing but 'spend, gamble, offer players more, spend more on fees, give longer contracts' from so many on here since January. Yet now, quite a number of the same people want price cuts too.

Kettlewell, occook and MexboroughTyke like this.
  3. Eut

Eutychus Active Member

Anne Hathaway\'s holiday cottage Staincross
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That with respect is just a post saying that it would not be financially plausible.

But then again you have to look at what your ultimate aim is.

Ours is not to shoot for the stars, as was shown in January.

So why not accept our limitations and just try to be a community club?

Cryne only picks up the tab for the expenditure that exceeds income

We have a deal of income recently that exceeds expenditure.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I cannot tell you how much it was back then, but I can tell you it was 100% of my pocket money. Don't tell me that I have to get into explaining to you how the economy works as well.

5. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bit unrelated to pricing but applies to the matchday experience.

The big thing that pisses me off on match days is that there's not enough staff working behind the bars.

If you're in the East Upper & you want to get food or drink at half time then you either have to miss some of the first half or you'll miss a few minutes of the second in order to get served as it takes about 20 minutes to get to the front of the queue.

They have 6 staff, 3 at each of the 2 bars to serve all of the East Upper which includes the family area with lots of kids wanting food & drink.

I've spoke to plenty who get food or drink beforehand because it's not worth the hassle or they don't even go because they can't get their kids food without missing the game.

I wouldn't mind but it would barely cost anything to have a couple more staff in, 3/4 hours at minimum wage. Barmy

Kettlewell likes this.
  6. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All well and good but then you end up with a crumbling stadium and little or nothing beyond "the match" to engage new supporters. I, like you am already "hooked" but plenty younger are not and like it or not the world has changed and there is now plenty of competition for time and money.

7. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've mentioned the ticketing discount in years gone by and even offered solutions in how to cover both parties and I'll try and explain once more as best I can. I don't believe in "something isn't possible" or "it can't be done". You get the answer once the concept is tried whether it's successful or not.

Anyway. This is my theory.

Say the club earns on average including matchday sales a said total amount of say £5m a season. You then do your calculations using the capacity to see what discount can be offered say you reach a target of 15000 sales.

Eg... If 9000 season ticket holders and matchday sales equal 5m over the season

If 16000 season ticket holders work out at 5m at £200 then u go from there.

To cover it you have it in legal writing that these discounts only apply should targets be met by a certain deadline and if targets are not met then you revert back to the club's normal structure of £300. Works both ways for me and isn't rocket science.

There may be a reason I've not thought of why this won't work and someone can correct me but better to try and fail but cover yourself than not try at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kettlewell likes this.
  8. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not getting personal. Just following your stated logic.

You can say what you like but regardless of your time served you will get called out when folk disagree. It is called debate.

In any case, everywhere is the same and in fact our support is pretty good as a % of that of the Borough.

9. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I swore that I was not getting into the decisions that were taken in January again.

There is no such thing as a community club. Sorry but there isn't. You only have to look at the way the dialogue on here is affected by results to know that. WE were brilliant... THEY don't know what they are doing.

I do not think that that is what Mr Cryne does at all. Why wouldn't he simply budget to break even if that was all there was to it.

The fact that we are currently running at a profit is probably a short term thing, and who will pick up the tab when Mr Cryne is gone?

10. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I enjoy reading the opposing view. I really do.

Let me give you a short story before I really go to sleep....

I was at Boro the day we were relegated in 2014. I had John Dennis a few rows ahead of me. The team was full of misfits and the atmosphere amongst the fanbase was awful. Dark, dark day. And it was the anniversary of the 1997 Bradford game. Yet we had the same manager in the dugout. Oh, and my missus' lad was playing for the other team and getting horrendous abuse from our fanbase. Dark, dark day.

Now, to think just three years on, we will be playing Burton on the anniversary of that weekend (not the exact date) back in the Championship and quite possibly about to finish top half with a captain and coach from the town, a load of players the fans love who've been signed from non league, off the back of an 18 month period of amazing success that took in two trips to Wembley, a promotion, wins over Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Derby, Norwich and Villa, flirting with the playoffs, despite making a fortune from selling players that we signed for peanuts... all because Patrick Cryne (from town) decided on a change of strategy after that dark, dark day.

I will sit at Oakwell in a couple of weeks time and feel proud of the progress made in such a short space of time and be hopeful of further days that are less dark and more bright.

Kettlewell, BobT, Andy Mac and 5 others like this.
  11. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's funny, I thought that debate was supposed to deal with facts and issues and not the personal circumstances of the persons involved in the debate.

If you are happy with our support, then you must expect that we will have to sell our best players in order to generate the revenue we need to stay in this league. With respect, a few shirts and a few pairs of gloves, whilst being a factor in good customer service, make very little difference to our on-going finances.

12. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you already think something is over priced, you will only buy if it comes down in price.

13. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, I know it deals with your perspective and nowt else matters.

You are quite happy to denigrate the people of Barnsley due to their personal circumstances in that they have better, more logical things to spend their money on other than following a football club who will relatively rarely be worth following.

We've always had to sell our best players. No argument from me as long as we get as much as possible and can replace them. The sad reality of today is that we are a L1 club punching above our weight and any decent player we get won't stay long anymore. We can decide to support only the shirt and not get emotionally attracted to the players or decide that having "heroes" to support is part of the romance and not being attached to them anymore is too much.

I get your point about it being small in terms of our overall revenue ( I did acknowledge this) but how much of secondary or tertiary revenue streams can you dismiss?

14. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

That my friend, is the bigger picture.

Also were off to wigwam tomorrow looking to get our TENTH away win of the season.

Heady days!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

15. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    John Dennis ran us successfully as a community club for years. So what would the term be poppycock will suffice.

16. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

17. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love this club and I'm with the majority that we are in a good period with things. The one thing I want to see tho is a near full Oakwell. We struggle with that. The die hards are the season ticket holders. U won't get anymore in unless we either get to the prem or prices go down for some sort of ticket offer. Like I say the outcome is still the same. Sell 9000 at 3m a year at £300 or sell 16000 at £200 for 3m a season.

Whitey mentioned that only hudds and Bradford are the ones running the offer so why haven't others followed? My answer is that Hudds and Bradford are doing this offer yet again so they can't see it as failure otherwise why do it. Maybe others are happy with their attendances? Maybe they have a larger fanbase? Maybe they see it as a risk? There's an answer for every question whether good or bad. The only answer you will get at Barnsley tho is whether you put it into force and see for yourselves. In my post earlier you can cover both parties in case it doesn't work out. If it is possible.......why not do it???

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kettlewell and Andy Mac like this.
  18. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Try and remember how much pocket money you got - there's your answer.

Regardless, you know that in real terms football tickets are for more expensive than they were even fifteen years. You may have served your time in the trenches but the costs to you were far less than people have been expected to pay of late - and this will only increase.

I'm sure someone posted that based on prices in 1996 and the rate of inflation, a ticket in the East Stand should be less than £15. When was the last time a regular match day ticket was £15?

P.S - You don't need to explain anything to me. In any case, it wouldn't be an explanation - it would just be your interpretation.

19. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The biggest factor in the league performance of your football club is the amount of money it is able to spend on player wages. You cannot have it both ways. You cannot continue to argue that the club should be doing better than it is and at the same time argue that the club's revenue should be reduced. You either want your club in the second tier or you want your club in the fourth tier. The two things are irreconcilable, and yet your posts continue to argue that either our prices should be lower or we should not have sold players or that we should be doing better. There is just no logic to your position and I find that extremely frustrating.

20. Arc

Archerfield Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post lad, we're a fickle bunch and Boro away was a particular low point, but days like that only make the successes even sweeter.

d

Kettlewell likes this.