Just watched the full match replay - cracking away performance that

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We were good, there is no doubt about that. Whether Millwall's shortcomings made us look better is irrelevant. That was a great performance all over the pitch and what a great place to do it. The home fans were raucous throughout that first half, and up to our second goal, but then seemed to sense the inevitable defeat. And so it proved.

I know that football fans everywhere are notoriously biased towards their own team but some of that drivel on the Millwall forums and video blogs just beggars belief. To suggest that we were rubbish and didn't deserve the points is just ludicrous. They were outplayed by a young team that is getting better every week. We all know that there will be failures and huge disappointments along the way but we need to stick with these lads and just see how far they can go. I daren't predict where we might finish but I am sure it will be above half way.

Some of the close control, short passing movements and raking cross field passing was outstanding. We got ourselves out of fixes often with slick interchanges. It's true they could have taken an early lead when Gregory got clear but hit it straight at Davies but we deserved that bit of luck. They had some as well with that scramble in the first half after the keeper spilled it. He got lucky with two stabs at goal from McGeehan that he just managed to keep out and then a blast from Bradshaw went straight at him before he gratefully fell on the ball. Our goal was a superb bit of football with a great low cross in from Barnes and a poacher's instinct from Bradshaw.

The second was almost a carbon copy but you could argue the keeper ought to have kept it out. He was too far back on his line though so could only paw it in. Our third was the penalty that caused as much controversy as theirs. No matter how many times you watch it there will never be a clear answer - the only thing that matters is that the ref gave it. Maybe he wanted to even up his mistake from earlier. The key thing though is that not one home player complained about it and the lad involved was on his knees in despair because, presumably, he knew what he had done. Nice cool penalty from Thiam but I hope he doesn't make a habit of those - I like to see them blasted in!

What am I saying though - we might not get another spot kick all season. We only concede them - everybody knows that. It was the cream on top of a lovely away day though and, maybe just for once, all three subs played their part in winning us the match. Thiam had a nice little cameo fifteen minutes or so, and could have scored another. Bird's very first involvement was to pick up the ball and ignore Hammill by running straight through their defence. He looked good with every other touch he had as well. Hedges also had some nice touches and the tactic seemed to be to get it onto the touchline for him to work the corner flag, running the clock down. He did pretty well doing that.

So nice to get an away win on the board and I think there will be a few more to come. We are going to be just fine this season, looking at that performance and a few others already this season. Once they all gel we will be a formidable force. With more to add to the squad as well the future looks good, whatever happens with this long-running takeover business.

2. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I watched it live on the iFollow video stream on Saturday, I thought all our lads put in a shift. Also I thought both penalties were harsh/dodgy. so it evened up I guess. But no one can deny we deserved that win......well except the Millwall yob's I guess. But the very few real football fans they do have conceded we were worthy winners.

3. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Where did you watch that?

4. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On iFollow. I don't know where else it would be.

Watched the whole game this morning. Extended highlights available as well. You only have to subscribe to get it.

5. David_Upper_East

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I subscribe to IFollow - don't use it much though and could only find the extended highlights when I looked. I'll try again.

6. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You need to go to the results section and click on the camera Icon for that game. It's not accessed via the usual latest videos section for some bizarre reason.

7. David_Upper_East

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks - I'll try that.

8. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Found it yet? I haven’t watched all the game replays this season but probably most of them. I’m really missing Matt’s commentary though. It just doesn’t seem right without it.

John Peachy likes this.
  9. David_Upper_East

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes - I found it. It's filmed from a single camera - and goes along with the live text. Sometimes the footage is a bit amateur - but you get most of the action. Is it available live during the game?

10. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not for UK subscribers, no

11. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

12. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I watched it live in Germany, tremendous performance after a dodgy first few minutes. I had two internet tabs open, one for the live video and one for the commentary. It takes some messing about to get them synchronised but when you do it's a great experience.

ToeNailClippers likes this.
  13. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's are 3 options for sound on the live video feed. English, home and away none of them actually work which I thought would have been Matts commentary maybe it's something for the future. Tried having Matts commentary from another tab but couldn't get it to sync

14. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm in Ireland so can't access the live feed. I'd happily pay for it but it isn't available here.
    Someone suggested accessing through a certain browser that disguises your country of internet provider but it's known as a gateway to the dark web so I'm a bit squeamish about risking it.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

15. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I find the best way to do it is to start the video first, then start the sound commentary which is then usually behind the video. You can then pause the video for a second at a time until it gets in sync. Doesn't always work though and sometimes it drifts out again.

kektyke likes this.
  16. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Dragon Tyke appears to manage it, so perhaps we all need to move to Wales?

17. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Steady on!
    Only kidding dragon. :)

18. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just finished watching the full match back myself. Thought it was a really good, workmanlike win. We weren't sparkling but we restricted them to very few chances and rarely let them build up a head of steam.
    Thought the back four did well. To single out Pearson who get's some stick sometimes he played very similar to how I've seen him before. Good defensively. Perfect? No. But gets some good tackles in, always competes. He's doing ok for me. Have to say though that his distribution is ....ermmm...not great. But that can be worked on.
    Thought Potts and McGeehan got around the pitch a lot. McGeehan looked very promising. Mobile, good touch. Potts. He was ok, nothing more but I've seen him play better and I like the effort he puts in and he does get forward to join the one striker.
    Thiam. Really impressed. He created at least two good chances, had a good strike on goal, held the ball up well and scored a pen. Really encouraging.
    Anyway, good win. I'd rather see us beat that horrible bunch than Wednesday or United. (Marginally).
    :)

19. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just watched it. I was struck by how much good stuff Pearson did. As Churton says, his distribution needs work but, if that can be improved, we might just have a decent player there.