Leeds to Blackpool

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Watcher_Of_The_Skies, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On the way to Blackpool with a train carriage full of boozed up Wednesday fans singing songs. One angry wife, one upset child, two elderly parents.

Great.

2. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think it would be same if any fans were on the train at the same time

3. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How else do you expect them to get there. Or do you think they shouldn't be drinking.

4. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm gonna say if any families were on trains to the south west this morning I'm sure they'd have been less than amused at one or two of ours.

No Wednesday sympathiser but I don't think their travelling fans are likely to be any worse behaved on trains than most

5. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately no matter how **** is, it's Saturday afternoon.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If a group of teenage lads on a bus or train from thurnscoe to Barnsley or meadowhall behaved in the manner that football fans do they would be slated by literally everyone but if you do the same on a Saturday and say 'im going to the football' it seems to be considered acceptable public behaviour. I've never understood it

7. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't care about them being Wednesday fans or having a drink, or being on a train. But common decency is to show some consideration for other people. My daughter, who is six, is pretty upset due to the volume, and asking them to turn it down didn't help.

Anyhow, there you go.

8. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    *rolls eyes*.

9. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Roll your eyes all you want. If I get a train on a Saturday afternoon, there's a fair chance there will be football fans on it, and drinking.
    Our carriage going to Wembley was full of folk working and asking fans to be quiet. Didn't work.

10. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Classy.

SuperTyke likes this.
  11. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't work but should have worked if people had respect and knew how to behave in public.

12. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My post never at any point said it was acceptable - just pointing out that it's from all clubs, including ours. The original post made a point of saying Wednesday fans - it could just have easily just referred to football fans generally.

It's a football culture problem, not any club's one. Until they start slapping asbo's out liberally to drunk travelling fans it won't stop.

I'm sure I'll be slated for this but I don't see why drunk loutish behaviour is seen as not only acceptable but desirable as part of being a football supporter. I like a drink and I have a drink at and before matches sometimes, though I drive mostly. But I don't see the need to get completely steamed, turn up twenty minutes after kick off stinking of it and start spouting generally offensive, often ill informed and sometimes bigoted drivel like some supporters do - and they are as likely to be supporting Barnsley as anyone else. To be fair more likely than some I suppose.

It takes all sorts but some of our element seem stuck in 1973 and are nothing but cringeworthy. I take my lad to games, he's nearly ten now and we've now got sts in the family enclosure so I assume it will be better but a from few years ago when I first started bringing him onwards I had to ignore some awkward questions asking 'what that Mr was on about' most matches. References to colour and race, foul language, even on one occasion in the east lower a continued enquiry to a linesman about how big parts of his wife's anatomy were and whether another part of her anatomy had an aroma akin to a kipper. I shouldn't laugh but had he not been surrounded by kids and older folk it would have been funny.

Thankfully we don't have the culture of accepting violent behaviour like Millwall but let's not pretend we have a spotless following.

I stopped going to away games for a while as it seemed that some were determined to play up to every stereotype the rest of the country slaps on us

SuperTyke likes this.
  13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's still public transport so people should respect others on the train especially if there are families and young kids on there. I don't have a problem with them enjoying themselves or drinking but is it too much to expect a bit of courtesy and respect for others.

They should bring back football specials.