Liam Lindsay is vastly overrated

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by OnGoingCloud1887, Dec 4, 2017.

1. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There I said it. Comparing him & Roberts is depressing because Marc was simply streets & streets ahead. Physically strong, excellent leader, well timed tackling, good positioning- all qualities that his 'replacement' does not possess.

Hardly surprising Davies has lost all confidence with the likes of Lindsay infront of him and it's hardly a coincidence that a LOT more goals are being conceded without a player like Roberts at the back.

2. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I said this to my dad earlier. He can't find a red shirt. He's potentially going to be a star at this level and will get a chance in the Prem but he does some very simple things wrong.

Roberts is a better defender.

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Lindsay is a very good player. Has only made 16 appearances at this level and is probably the pick of all our summer signings to date.

He might not be as good as Roberts yet, but let's not forget Roberts wasn't a one man Barnsley fc team, he was playing with better players than Lindsay is, besides, for all Roberts "attributes" look at where his team are in the league, and with a -17 goal difference.

To say Lindsay is streets behind Roberts and doesn't have any of his qualities is just looking for an argument for the sake of arguing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Slightly different players to be fair. Lindsay is the Mawson replacement a year late, ball playing centre back.

Roberts was and is an out and out defender. We lack that - but it’s unfair to have a go at Lindsay alone. There’s a reason we looked better with Jackson in the team, he’s a safety first defender too. MacDonald not so much and he has been much poorer than Lindsay to my eye.

Roberts was great for us and we miss him but he’s not going to play at much higher a level. I think Lindsay might.

Metatarsal likes this.
  5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like Lindsay and I like Marc. Completely different players. Given that all teams at a higher level are looking for footballing centre halves I can see Liam playing at a much higher level than Marc.

MexboroughTyke likes this.
  6. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's far in front of what Roberts was at 22.

Lindsay has all them qualities you say he doesn't.

Robbo had some absolute stinkers in his first season. Rochdale and Altrincham away being 2 of the worst.

Robbo was fantastic for us but Lindsay will play higher than him in my opinion.

7. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This thread gives me a chance to clarify my position with regard to Liam Lindsay. Those who read my stuff will know that I am not one to blindly follow the herd. I have my own opinions, and many of those opinions, I keep to myself, but when Lindsay was receiving rave reviews from all and sundry, I expressed one or two doubts, because I just was not sure. He had a tendency to drop back from the defensive line, which is a sure sign of a player who is unsure of his pace, and I thought that the long diagonal balls that he plays from his left foot to the right wing are no more than show. However, he is a sound defender. He just needs a no non-sense player beside him, and that is what we are short of at the moment following the injury to Jackson and McDonald's loss of form. At his best, Marc Roberts was that sort of player, but there were signs towards the end of last season that he had passed his best. Whether it was a temporary loss of form or a permanent problem was not know at the time he was sold, but his performance for Birmingham in their defeat at Oakwell was poor. It might well be that Roberts was sold at exactly the right time, it might be that his loss of form is permanent. Only time will tell. However, one aspect of his game does seem to be but a memory, and that is his pace, which in his early days, always used to save him.

Dalestykes likes this.
  8. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the OP's post is vastly overrated and should be largely ignored.

M.C.Tyke and RichieD like this.
  9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why should it be ignored? Why don't you tell him why you disagree. It's sort of the point of this board.

10. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I’ve stated before to say he’s a so called ball playing centre half he regularly gifts the opposition the ball with a woeful pass.

11. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 different types of defender. Where was Roberts in his first season at this stage ? Rested whilst Kevin Long came in and brought Alfie Mawson on. And that was at league 1 level.

You'll have to identify just how highly Lindsay's rated to decide if it's too high or not. But I think this thread is starting to show that when things go well the players are all sound, when we lose a few, then they're actually not that good etc.

In Jan we need a Kevin Long type player, someone comfortable at Championship level to come in and help both Liam & Angus with their development.

Lindsay will be a top, top player though, which is why Swansea are preparing a bid in January.

12. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I believe Liam Lindsay is a very good defender and simply don't understand the criticism (which is way over the top in my opinion) he's receiving on this thread.
    Ah, well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

M.C.Tyke and Xerxes like this.
  13. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The self proclaimed sages crawl out of the woodwork when those who they judged early on have a temp dip and it allows them to say 'I told you so' but in much more flowery prose.

JLWBigLil likes this.
  14. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

We've conceded 2 more goals than we had at this time last year, and only 2 more goals than Birmingham this season.

15. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After 20 games last season we had conceded 1 goal less than we have this season.

Which hardly qualifies for a LOT in capital letters.

And does somewhat ***** your Lindsay assassination balloon.

I myself wish we had them both in our team. Every week.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  16. gaz

gaz97 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A pretty decent season so far for him considering where he came from and the quality of striker he's now up against. It's the top end of pitch where we need to urgently improve in my opinion.

17. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfair to compare in the way you did. If you compare Lindsay to Roberts after the same amount of games I'd say Lindsay is comfortably better. He's in a defence with our star performing CB injured and a full back who plays like he doesn't want to be here.

18. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is the problem with our "Plan".
    We should be looking to sell players on and the replacing with at least as good , but with potential to be better, the way we do it at the moment we are always struggling to get back to where we started from. I have no doubt that Lindsay will be a good player, but he is not as good as Roberts was when we sold him, that is the problem.

dreamboy3000 and Conan Troutman like this.
  19. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lindsay is far better than Roberts at this stage in his Barnsley career. Even after playing for the club for 18 month, Roberts could not place an accurate forward pass, and invariably hoofed it to the opposition goalkeeper or out of play.

20. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cor-rect.