LIVE STREAM: Paul Heckingbottom - BFCST Live from Redfearn's Bar

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Kettlewell

Kettlewell Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really enjoyed this interview, tech worked, if that was Loko the Tyke,well done and nice to see someone's face.

2. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He waited a long time for a contract.
    When it looked like he was going - they offered him a contract.
    Ka-ching !!!!
    £500,000 just dropped into the accounts from Leeds.
    He’s well thought of is our Ganaye.

3. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just watched it on TV. Absolutely brilliant bar a bit of feedback. Good interviewing by Ben. Really enjoyed it and as a bonus Whiteys "From rock bottom to Heckingbottom" came up next so watched that as well. Look forward to next weeks offerings.

Shy Talk, Donny Red, Redhelen and 2 others like this.
  4. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like a good thing to me. Hecky chose to sign the contract after all.

5. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not sure they could know that ,seems a bit risky what if he didn’t want to go . Not saying it’s not the case but it seems a bit arsed abart face for a professional football club to go down .

6. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree - it does.
    Ganaye must have been sure of it.
    If you listen to the latest Hecky interview - Barnsley would probably have got promotion to the Premeir League in 2017.
    On evidence of how they were playing up to December 2016 I also believe that.
    Instead ...... the club still hasn’t recovered from the January 2017 transfer window and the decision to undermine Hecky.
    Bad decisions followed by bad decisions.

Kettlewell likes this.
  7. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He never once suggested he was undermined. I thought his comments on recruitment were really enlightening without being anywhere near as critical as you've suggested in the past.

Acknowledged that we missed the boat on signing players to long term contracts, but understood why we didn't, and also understood why we decided to cash in on two or three players in that January. Add to that his comments on recruiting a particular type of younger player not being a negative or a hindrance, until you start to argue over a few hundred pound a week.

Everything is open to interpretation and we'll all interpret answers differently I guess.

Kettlewell, TitusMagee and Redhelen like this.
  8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't believe he was undermined per se. He was an Academy Coach and knew full well what Patrick's
    business model looked like regarding the recruitment, improvement and the ultimate sale of any prospects
    signed as a result of the spreadsheet .

When the Chien Lee, Paul Conway consortium took over, they never attempted to disguise the fact that
    they intended to perpetuate the policy and I recall that Paul Conway was very complimentary regarding Heckys
    abilities as a coach.

I believe the rot set in for Hecky when the team was broken up during the January window and that his frustration
    heightened following the pre-season defeat at Rotherham, when it was obvious that the quality he had craved for,
    had not been recruited.

I admired his total honesty during the interview last night. He had apparently told GG that if he received an
    offer from elsewhere he was off and it just so happened, it was Leeds and not a Mansfield or Exeter who made
    the first move for him.

From what he said, knowing of the continued recruitment policy, it's unlikely that he'd ever return to Barnsley
    unless that was changed, but it's good that he still attends games and has reconnected with the Club and us fans.
    It's probably time to let bygones be bygones and for olive branches to be handed out all round.?

Shy Talk and Kettlewell like this.
  9. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If he said ...... he was prepared to go to Mansfield to get away from Barnsley the club he loves - then what will it take to convince you he was being undermined and his stay at Barnsley was being made intolerable ???

There was a clear opportunity there to respectfully push Hecky on that.
    Opportunity missed - because of the culture of being nicey nicey.

10. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He was a Barnsley fan long before he was a player/ manager. He won us 2 finals at Wembley that most managers would kill to do. You can't rewrite the past. He's a key part in Oakwells history .

11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree we don't know the truth of the matter. The situation he faced must have been bad for him to consider
    just going " anywhere" to get away from Oakwell really.

12. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

2 points firstly as good as we were, and we seemed to have hit a good bit of form before winnall point blank said he wanted to leave and wouldnt be playing for us again. We weren't in the play off places and if we had finished in them I wouldnt have fancied our chances against fulham over 2 legs that season who comfortably beat us at oakwell and at craven cottage.

Two. The club did recover from that transfer window we then shot ourselves in the foot in the 2019 summer window 1 step forward 2 steps back with these owners.

Austiniho and Trickster Two Six like this.
  13. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As Hecky explained.
    Reading and Huddersfield were in similar positions to us in December 2016.
    They added a couple of players to their squads to push on.
    We didn’t.
    Instead we put 8 (EIGHT) first team players up for sale.

If we have recovered since January 2017 - then I can’t see it.
    We have been nowhere near that position in the league since.
    And we have had no success since.
    Last season’s promotion was just rectifying the problems of the season before.
    Only for us to probably drop back down again.

Julian Broddle's Perm likes this.
  14. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please will you PM me a short video of you doing a bunny hop on your bike. Perhaps in a pair of Y-fronts.
    Thanks.

15. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Enjoyed that, well done to all involved.

16. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok.
    I’ll try.
    Are you sure you don’t want that video of me riding on the pushbike in the nude near the river ???
    Most on here like that one.
    Let me know.

17. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If I remember right huddersfields best players were loans mooy, izzy brown and they had a few others. We were in a different situation our owner who put his own money in to buy Conor and sam winnall and to keep the accademy going each season was terminally Ill. It was a case of winnall point blank wanted to leave, conor went to see patrick and told him he wanted to go and we sold bree all had 6 months remaining on there contracts it wasnt a good place to be in for us.

We have been no where near because the season after hecky and morais and the owners had a mare we went down.
    We should have built on last seasons promotion but the owners sold moore pinnock and lindsay and replaced them with a load of gambles who could come good in 2 or 3 seasons. It was almost like the put profit over staying in the division like I said 1 step forward 2 steps back. If we had kept the team we had last season and added a few additions like hecky was able to in 2016 I believe we could have realistically finished top half.

Redhelen likes this.
  18. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If I had to bet I would’ve bet on us making the play offs that season but it wouldn’t be a confident bet as aside from our forwards we had no squad depth & 1 or 2 injuries would’ve crippled us.

Basically we’d got Davies, Bree, Yiadom, Roberts, Angus, Jackson, Morsy, Scowen, Hourihane, Hammill, Kent, Watkins, Winnall, Armstrong & Bradshaw.

That’s an excellent 15 players but there was nothing else to work with. A couple of injuries & we would’ve been knackered. Lads like Kpekawa, Townsend, Callum Evans, Elliott Lee & Josh Kay were next in line.

So we would’ve needed some luck to keep that group fit but what I would say is the standard of the play offs that season was dreadful. The Wednesday - Huddersfield semi finals & then the Reading - Huddersfield final was a shocking standard. I think with the experience of winning the league one play offs & JPT we would’ve had a huge mental advantage over our opponents but of course we would’ve had to get there.

I’d also say that we seemed to be getting better week by week, it’s the fittest Barnsley team I could ever remember & it felt like we scored the majority of our goals late on normally after forward substitutions.

Ultimately we’ll never know. The biggest frustration is that we didn’t need to sell. We’d made huge profits on Mawson & the Stones sell on & in my opinion shouldn’t have thrown away a realistic shot at the premier league for less than half of the money we’d already made that season.

19. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Three conclusions I'd make from this:

1. Well done @Loko the Tyke for doing it
    2. Fair play Hecky for doing it
    3. Read into it what you will about the running of the club & where Hecky's heart really is.

I balled him out big time for his timing & going to Leeds. I'm starting to reconsider my position, for him being man enough to talk, whilst understandarbly not spilling the beans on a lot of things. The healing has begun. ( Van Morrison song).

20. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I agree we will never know if we would have made it or not but I wouldnt have liked to had gambled any money on it. Fulham were a great side that season they totally out played us at oakwell that season scott parker ran the midfield that day in his final season and chris martin was a handful for us. I wouldnt have liked to have played them over two legs but you never know anything can happen.

I can see what your saying we didnt really need to sell winnall or conor but from what I hear winnall was kicking up a fuss and forcing his way out and conor ended up going to see patrick where he was receiving treatment to ask to let him move to villa, no doubt his agent whispered some figures in his ear and he went from been on allegedly 4k a week to 27k, patrick offered to make him the highest paid player in bfc history had he stayed but he declined unfortunately.