Loyalty and Enthusiasm

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red-Taff., Jul 13, 2017.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you're completely wrong. A contract that can be extended based on negotiations between player and club isn't an extension clause, its a normal contract.

An example of proving you wrong. Gutierrez at Newcastle had a clause which said if he played X amount of games then HE could extend his contract and Newcastle would have no say in it. No negotiations to take place as they had already taken place when he signed the original contract. Newcastle dropped him so that he didn't play the required amount of games to trigger the extension clause and so he sued them and won.

It's an example the opposite way but clauses are legally binding and aren't subject to negotiations two years after signing a contract.

Ps it isn't slavery if you willingly sign a contract for 2 years with the option for a third. To compare it to such is idiotic

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can make the contract extension automatic. Many clubs do it. The blunts did it to everyone they wanted to retain after promotion.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

3. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your example is not a very good one. Mr G sued Newcastle and won because they discriminated against him regarding his cancer.

If they'd just not picked him without the cancer aspect being involved, then he would not have had a winnable case.

Anyway, if you have an option to extend in your favour written into a contract, and you exercise such option, that's all still part of the original contract. Marlon is barking. Up the wrong tree.

4. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a good example because it was an example of a clause to extend a contract which was legally binding. The fact that they dropped him to avoid the clause isn't really the part I was highlighting it was that the clause was legally binding

5. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there's enough evidence, hearsay whatever to suggest the club haven't been as cute as they could have been with some of the previous contract offers. But regardless of how extensions are included in the terms and conditions, I'm still none the wiser as to how we can ensure a player will sign such a contract. Is an extension clause likely to be a deal breaker to a player who thinks he can move on after the main term of the contract passes, such that he doesn't join us at all? Do we risk being tied to poorer players who can't move on or aren't seen as an attractive purchase? I have no argument with anyone's opinion here, but I don't think the solution as as easy as it may seem.

Skryptic and WatfordRed like this.
  6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Us

"Dear mr potential signing would you like to leave Torquay and earn 6 times what you are now playing at higher level in front of bigger crowds with the potential to move on to even bigger wages? We would like you to sign this contract for 3 years with the bonus of an extra year if all goes well".

Potential signing.

'Where's my granny and do I have to kill her before I sign".

Seriously a lot of clubs do it. We had a clause for Ryan Williams that we chose not to exercise and I believe we have one for Mowatt.

The Blunts now don't sign anyone who won't have the clause in the contract ( instigated by Wilder I believe). It is very standard practice.

Metatarsal likes this.
  7. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    IDIOTIC!!
    That's pot calling kettle after some of your threads and comments ffs.
    Ok it may be technically ok but could you imagine the PFA standing by when it comes to players losing out.
    Besides of which if we went down that route we could have five Cole Kpekawa's triggering extensions now that would be great for BFC , NOT

8. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I beg to differ. It is not a good example because it was only "legally binding" because of the discrimination laws. The contract itself, without discrimination poking its nose in, would not have got Mr G an extension. Newcastle could just not have played him, and he'd have been stuck.

9. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So essentially we're offering five year contracts, but if the player is ***** we can get rid. Our players and their agents aren't that thick. Nobody is going to take a contract where they get tied down to a lower wage right when their value is at its highest.

We were outside the playoffs with those players. Maybe they would have made it, and maybe this year we'd win the Premiership and go on to rack up more European Cup wins than Real Madrid. Who knows. What was your plan if your £4 million (how have you reached this figure? You need to show you work) bet hadn't come off? This summer you've done nothing but prattle about how we need to sign more players. How would you sign anybody with £4million less to spend?

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Clubs do it all the time. We have done it with Williams and Mowatt. Sheffield united do it with every player they sign these days and triggered extensions to all those they wanted when they got promoted. Live in the modern world.

11. Skryptic

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We did nothing of the sort with Ryan Williams. He was given a two year contract with an option of a third which wasn't taken up. There is nothing to suggest Mowatt's deal has an option either, both the club and the BBC reported it as a two and a half year deal. Of the players on the Sheffield United retained list who had their contract extensions triggered by "appearances/performances" - not necessarily the choice of the club - four of them signed within the past three years. The suggestion above was that we offer three year contract with an option to extend. No player/agent is going to sign a contract with us that ties them down for four or five years. Please stop telling lies.

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I meant sign contracts with the option of an automatic extension in the clubs favour. Sorry forgot I was talking to someone who needs things spelling out to them in the most basic and simplistic terms.

All Sheffield Utd players had contracts in favour of the club rather than the player all new players signed include this I know this as a fact. They chose not to exercise the option in several cases.

Longer than a year you are correct would be unusual and not something that is in common usuage.

As for Mowatt I should have said I believe it to be the case. Having heard from someone who is usually correct.

Stop regurgitating half understood 'facts' and presenting them as your own.

13. Skryptic

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You should've just left it at that without any of the other waffle.

occook and YTBFC like this.
  14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Waffle.

I have done the same for you.

15. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Erm yes we did with Ryan williams.he signed a contract whereby the club had the non negotiable option to extend if they wished. They didnt

16. Skryptic

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, and if you read the above post you'll see I acknowledge that we offered him a two year contract with an option of the third that we didn't take up. Essentially a three year contract. I don't disagree players will sign those deals. Conan was suggesting we offer a three year deal with the option to extend it. Essentially a four or even five year deal. Players and their agents won't sign those contracts unless the money is ridiculous.

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry I didn't realise that you were talking specifically about longer than 3 year deals, I thought you were saying it doesn't happen at all like Marlon was.

I actually agree by the way, 3 year deals with extensions after that will be harder but I don't think they are impossible. I imagine that if you are signing a significantly lower league player then it would be easier to tempt them with the extension clause and also if you were to offer extensions that came with preset pay rises and benefits to the player then again more likely.

18. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. No player of a certain ability level or who backs his own ability to play at a high level is ever going to sign a 5 year deal with Barnsley. It would be stupid for him to do so.

Marlon likes this.
  19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That isn't what Marlon is saying. He is saying that if a player signs a contract with an extension clause in it then he can still refuse to acknowledge the extension and walk away after the initial term.

20. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know. I would imagine any option to extend is just an agreement to talk. Otherwise it would be a flat out 5 year contract. Which no good player would ever sign.

Marlon likes this.