Marc Roberts

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by royston tyke, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I wasn't, have this argument all the time with some of the lads in pub. He was part of a terrible defence last season and if he wasn't local no one would have cared when he left. If anything we look a little (And I stress little) bit better at the back this season.

What I Think likes this.
  2. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm pretty sure there were other indicators that marked him out as being one of the top performers in the league, but I've not tried to dig them out.

In my earlier days of watching Barnsley, we had a succession of incredible centre backs. We were spoilt, we really were.

Futcher
    Taggart
    Smith
    Shotton
    Tiler
    Moses
    Morgan
    De Zeeuw
    Davies

Roberts was probably the first centre back we'd had since Morgan left that would fit into that group. He isn't without his faults, his distribution is somewhat suspect, but then so was Carl Tiler's. But his tackling, positional sense, recovery ability, and attacking threat at set pieces are all up there with the players in that group. The best of those mentioned is Futcher, hands down. Followed by De Zeeuw, and then probably Taggart. But Robbo more than stands up to comparison with the rest of them.

I would also point out that all of those great players above at one time or another played in defences which leaked goals. That could be to do with the system used (Bassett - outscore the opposition) or the midfield being poor and inviting pressure back onto us etc. It doesn't mean that they weren't great players. We're not Arsenal under George Graham and never have been (although Mel Machin gave it a good go at times!). Just to be clear, I've not included John Stones on the list as he was never an integral part of the team. Although Futcher in his prime was not far off. Why he never played for England I still don't know. Mawson? Better all round footballer than Roberts, but during their time with us, it's my opinion that Roberts was a better defender.

Finally - comparing Roberts with Yiadom is completely pointless. Comparing an attacking full-back with an old-fashioned centre half is as much use as doing a taste comparison of a curry and a Sunday roast. Talking of which I need to get chopping the tatties.

monkey tennis, Django, occook and 4 others like this.
  3. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Where would you say Marc’s Limitations are mate? Im struggling to see that he has many. Masson was and is a better ball player but in terms of a defender and stopper, robbo is outstanding

monkey tennis likes this.
  4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What do you roast in Russia? Enemies of Putin? What do you reckon to the conspiracy theories about him fixing the election for Trump and funding Brexit. Anything in it?

Bang on the money a our centre halves. Roberts is at the lower end of the best ones I’ve seen in 40 years of supporting us anyone who wouldn’t have him back is just chewing those sour grapes. It’s a shame he was pushed out but the plan has got us this far so even when it pushes us to make difficult decisions I guess we trust it.

monkey tennis and occook like this.
  5. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The support of Brexit was a reasonably open secret I thought. Anyone outside of the mainstream is on Putin's support radar, from Le Pen to the radical left in Greece. As for America - did they attempt to put their oar in? Quite possibly, especially with their army of paid Internet trolls. Did it affect the result? In all honesty, I don't think it's very likely that it did.

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The financial support via Aaron Banks is a little different to tacit support though. Looks like financial links are coming out pretty big for UK when/if proven.

7. tinatyke

tinatyke Well-Known Member

Usually camping Monday to Friday in a peaceful f
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Garage has been implicated too.
    All very interesting indeed, especially the implications for the Referendum !

8. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, that's true. And of course the Brexit referendum was on a knife edge. I reckon it could be used as a good reason to declare the result null and void, as it becomes clear just how unworkable Brexit is in practical terms.

9. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not sure about that. The tories seem pretty committed to hard Brexit depends if those of influence in business can rein them in. I think Putin definitely has influence with Trump through compromised advisors and financial links. Can see it sticking to Teflon Don though.

10. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Compared with Baresi, Moore or even Stones, Robbo has his limitations. But then so do Cahill and Jagielka. So did Terry Butcher. I genuinely think that Robbo could play in the Premier League and not look out of place in the right team. Sadly, it looks as though he's heading to League 1.

11. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t disagree he’s a good player but had more than a few wobbles yesterday

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sure he does. I'm absolutely sure that Trump is more malleable than a lump of warm playdoh. And about as bright.

My personal opinion on Brexit is that the practicalities are so cumbersome, that we'll have a new government long before anything gets sorted out. While Labour claim to be supporting a soft Brexit, if there were to be a general election in the next couple of years and they felt that supporting a new referendum would be a popular move with the electorate, they'd go for it.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the April 2019 date is set pretty much in stone and I can’t see there being an election before then.

15. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The majority is so flimsy that it only takes a few defections or deaths to make it unworkable. I'd be very surprised if the government lasts the whole term.

16. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was one of them, and rightly so. We've dropped on with his replacement, some of the others that have left we haven't been so lucky.

17. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  18. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Im still gutted we sold him, despite accepting we probably got decent coin for him.

I personally believe him and Lindsey would have been a superb partnership. But my concern has been offset by just how superb I think Adam Jackson has been. I was somewhat apprehensive that he was our starting centre back, but he has proven for about the millionth time that I know absolutely nothing about football. He's been brilliant.

It is not knocking Robbo. Would love him still captaining the club. But with the knowledge I have now about how good Lindsey is (and can be), and what a player we already had in Jacko, then the clubs decision is understandable. Goose is under pressure to keep his place which is only a good thing.

I am still hopefull Pinnock, when fully fit and with a season working with Hecky, will be a hell of a player too.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Merde Tete and Gordon Owen like this.
  19. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I just genuinely never rated him that highly. Good player no doubt but think we absoulety had Brum at £3.5m.
    I also think he was held in higher regard here simply by virtue of being a local lad. That's just my opinion, no bitterness about it at all.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His distribution compared to someone like Futcher or his drive compared to someone like Taggart are the things that hold him back. I think you can see the things he did add by looking at MacDonald’s performance without him.

Merde Tete likes this.