Matchday Threads

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fired, Mar 4, 2017.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely hate them.
    Every thing that you can discuss from pre to post match in one thread. Awful.

So I just thought I'd put this one up to say I thought James was tremendous today.

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love em mesen. Obviously I miss 4567 threads telling me we scored/conceded/won a throw in...

3. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree. I hate long threads rather than the BBS style for the same reason

SuperTyke likes this.
  4. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm with you on that. I went along with it yesterday but I would rather have the independence of individual threads. No one HAS to open anything so I don't see the problem

SuperTyke likes this.
  5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've never known the BBS as dead on a match day as it was yesterday.

6. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The only reason I like them is because I despise the 17 threads posted about the same topic. And you can tell with some people that it's a race just to be the first to post about a goal or whatever because usually the post has no more than 3 words in it.

I even went as far as following Aston Villa's match day thread for our game the other week.

Sent from space using satellites and things

7. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But surely if you don't like reading 17 threads then you just ignore 16 of them? That is far better than people who usually enjoy several threads and conversations being forced to instead read one long thread which frankly does not flow anyway on an otherwise empty board.

The problem is that with threaded mode abandoned and now the forced use of match day threads this board has lost all its uniqueness which has seen it thrive since the last millennium. The posters are still unique but the board itself has sadly become a clone of all the other less successful boards out there. It needs to regain its individuality

8. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Surely it's easier to ignore one thread you don't want to read than a full forum of them?

Sent from space using satellites and things

9. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The recent down time of the site might have had something to do with that though. I look at this several times a day but I'm sure some people will see it "down again" and just think.....no, can't be bothered.

I thought the single match day thread was rubbish though. For example, I posted a link to our goal in it within a minute of it appearing on Twitter and I'm sure that more would have opened it and enjoyed it if it had been the only posting of a unique one. But I put it in the match day thread. It was an excellent bit of filming from the corner where our fans were.

10. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've voiced my own concerns perfectly, old mate.

SuperTyke likes this.
  11. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But then you can't discuss a single thing about the match if you have to ignore the one dedicated thread. If I wanted to talk about the ref and Fi wanted to talk about James and Conan wanted to talk about Ryan Williams and SuperTyke wanted to talk about TVs and MrsHalls wanted to shout 'Red Army' then we'd all have to read every post we didn't care about to talk about our own interests. It sort of worked just because no-one used it but it would be a nightmare if two or three people were having a ten post conversation about different things all at the same time with them all mixed up.

SuperTyke likes this.
  12. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just prefer to see people's views set out in topics so I know straight away whether I'm interested in them. If I see 5 threads entitled "Get in Matty James" I pretty much know I don't need to read further, and can pass them by. (Unless it's writted by Dragon Tyke, because it';s a really unfunny joke with some spurious link to Matty James making a marvellous sliding tackle), in which case I still ignore it.

However, if I see a thread entitled "matchday thread", I have to wade through in chronological order everything about the game, to see whether anyone has posted about Matty James' performance, the fact that Adam Hammill was brought down bearing in on goal but the guy didn't get booked, the lads who stood in areas where there were no seats, £4.10 a pint; £12 for 3 of us return from Sheffield etc etc.

I just prefer to have an idea from the thread title, as to what is included.

Prince of Risborough likes this.
  13. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    youre missing the point which is that many people want to read SOME conversations regarding the match but not all of them. By pretending that they are all one conversation you are forcing people to choose either to read the lot which doesn't even flow because it isn't one conversation or to ignore them all.

Lets go back to the pub analogy. Loads of tables with people sat round all discussing the match. One group may be discussing the ref, another may be discussing the team selection and so on. It would make absolutely no sense to force the entire pub to gather round and have one big conversation simply because they are all talking about the match

nezbfc likes this.
  14. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I bet the TV's were on at Derby

15. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I knew that if i made enough posts eventually I would voice somebody elses views. I am like the monkeys with typewriters. One day I'll write shakespeare. Or maybe not

JLWBigLil likes this.
  16. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can tell that too, the race to be the first to post a thread. A little bit sad.

I'm all for starting a new thread if you have something to say, but the majority are just 3 words long, don't create discussion and push the threads that do have some discussion off the first page. But I have to open each of them to see if there's anything worthwhile reading.

I posted yesterday in the Matchday thread that it sounded like we were the better team. That doesn't warrant a new thread so where else would I post it? In a thread talking about Matty James?

Start a new thread if you have a new topic to post about, and have an opinion on it. Otherwise, post in the matchday thread.

17. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm working on that same theory!:D

18. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that's more down to the new format that makes it look like other football club forums. We had a fairly unique layout/design that worked well for over a decade and now it's gone. People tend to not like change so maybe that's why so many regulars have yet to post on the new BBS.

19. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me an all.

It was a fine performance from front to back on saturday and we should have been a couple of goals up after 30min. After that it was fairly even I thought. Oh and their fans are rubbish and they knew that they'd got 3 points they didn't deserve.

20. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Strange how Hecky doesn't see it that way innit