McGeehan and the black dog on ALL our shoulders

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wakeyred, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I can understand what wakey is pointing out as we’re all vulnerable to our feelings and how others interpret them.
    I’ve never been one for abusing a player in whatever the inadequacies his performance has produced .
    If he’s not good enough or lacking confidence , match fitness or out of position or whatever then it’s down to the management to assess the situation . It’s the management that deems them fit to play in the role they allocate them for . It’s their call whether he’s up for it or not and if not to remove them from that situation . There is a lot more opportunities to assess a player nowadays through u23s loan systems etc .the fact managers expect and gamble they will come good in professional game time and over a period of games at that in which the paying public are expecting a competent display win, lose or draw is down to them and that’s why the managerial merry go round is intense.
    Years gone by supporters voted wth their feet and in some cases still do and the boards act accordingly or they on turn are turned upon .
    It’s s merry go round where individuals put themselves into the spotlight and are rightly or wrongly shot at.
    In essence in the cold light of day I want every player Barnsley play to come up trumps on most occasions they play ( I know even the best have off days ) but if it’s effecting our performance then I expect management to recognise and amend.
    Any player should not have to endure abuse but criticism is inevitable

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I don't disagree, and I think its fine for people to highlight certain aspects of performance. But there are some people saying get rid after a player has made NINE STARTS who broke his leg and wasn't fully fit for most of those last season, that I do disagree with. We can be a very destructive force at times and quick to cast off before people even have a chance.

Like it or not, most players take time to settle. Some do hit the ground running which is fantastic, but that's rarely the norm.

A bit of understanding and encouragement doesn't hurt, but it isn't a trait often found in Yorkshire.

Down the years many of our favourite players have had slow starts Redfearn was the prime example, his goal tally was Dawson esque in his first few seasons. The rest is very much history.

3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just had a look on Soccerbase for his stats. He's been back playing now for a whole year. In that time he's played 32 games. He's played under 3 different bosses who haven't seen him as a regular starter. He can't hide behind his injury forever. He's scored two goals too so he's on a par with Thiam as a defensive midfielder.

4. Spa

Sparkfield red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not taking no moral high ground at all mate.What I’m saying is the lad is 23 and I bet that over 90%of posters on here wish they were in the enviable position as him doing a job he loves and getting well paid for.When you do a job you strive to do the best you can at it.I thought I did the best I could when I was in the forces because in a lot of situations you don’t get a second chance.Fair enough he has had a broken leg so you double your efforts to get back and in his case play well.In the last 2 games as far as I can see and quite a few others also can see he has not been good enough.It probably would have been better to send him out on loan to get his mojo back.I would be the first to put my hands up and say I was wrong and I hope I am but at this moment in time it is not happening for him.

5. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough, was just the way it came across. Like I said, you can have the best job in the world, be a billionnaire but still feel anxious/depressed, and nobody is more or less worthy of support. :)

Sparkfield red likes this.
  6. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Good post, but describing self doubt as being the black dog is a bit wide of the mark.

"The black dog" is normally a nickname for depression, and as much as self doubt is one of its many faces, it's nothing compared to the absolute ******* that is depression and anxiety.

I'm speaking as someone who has struggled for years with it. It's life changing and in some cases, life ending, and can affect the mentally strong and the thinkers, not just those that are just a bit sensitive.

churtonred, Marlon and TitusMagee like this.