Minor Things That Wind You Up

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Fonzie, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I once stopped at a Pelican crossing for an elderly lady with a Zimmer frame... she was crossing from our right. She was only halfway across when the lights went from flashing to green by which time there was quite a queue behind us.
    To make matters worse the cars coming in the opposite direction set off (although technically they are supposed to wait until the crossing is completely clear).
    To make matters even worse a couple of cars behind started sounding the horn.
    To make matters EVEN worse I was teaching someone to drive in a driving school marked car and the horn blasts completely unnerved my pupil who proceeded to go into 'panic mode' and stalled twice (it was on an uphill) and by the time he was ready to set off the damn things had gone back to red..
    I then got a tap on the passenger side window and wound it down to get a hurl of abuse from some '****' asking me "which one of you is the learner?" and " what are you playing at?" obviously having forgotten what it was like to learn to drive. The lights then changed to flashing amber, the crossing was clear and 'bless him,' my pupil made the perfect start leaving the guy standing there in the middle of the road.
    Satisfyingly I heard the distant sound of blaring horns aimed at him since his car with its door wide open was now the one holding up the traffic as we drove off into the distance.:)

2. Did

Didcot Red Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think in this example it is "me". I think the rule is if you take the other person out what would you put. In this instance it is "respond to me".

3. Did

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about "to go" then?

4. Did

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you that they have to stay on green for vehicles until a pedestrian presses the button. It is annoying that the pedestrian still,has to wait from 30 seconds or more in the pouring rain. There is little excuse for going through on Red.

5. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All the plans were in place for it to be too. They just gave up. There’s the ‘ski jumps’ at the Manchester end of the M67 where the motorway was meant to continue over the roundabout towards the city centre (the land clearance at that side is obvious, but has since all been built on), and you can clearly see where the road was meant to keep going at the Hyde end. Junction 35a on the M1 was supposedly created using the start of old sliproads that were put in place to accommodate a service area that was never built - the sliproads at the northern side are still visible.

https://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m67_manchester_to_sheffield_motorway/

Simon De Montforte likes this.
  6. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    people who film gigs on a mobile phone, just watch the band and enjoy the gig!

SCRed, SFOTyke, Rosco and 2 others like this.
  7. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lol brilliant :)

8. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cyclists wind me up generally - for every considerate one I seem to see see four complete planks - but there’s one guy who i regularly drive past on York Road, Doncaster, just before Morrisons on the way towards town on the morning commute.

He rides on the inside lane, not tucked in sufficiently to not take up the whole lane, rendering a long stretch of road only with one lane in effect and holding up traffic.

Which wouldn’t be so bad if there wasn’t a specific cycle track AND a bus lane he is perfectly entitled to use, yet he uses neither and chooses to stay on the road.

Not breaking any laws or anything but bloody annoying and in my view pretty selfish - as well as chuffing stupid as he’s putting himself at risk really.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  9. anstonred

anstonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tory ministers & MPs who regularly start with either “let me be very clear” or “I’ve always been very clear”! No you haven’t!

10. Trickster Two Six

Trickster Two Six Well-Known Member

The Detonator
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bloody cyclists in their silly outfits riding in packs taking up half the road knowingly holding everyone up. Like just now. Ffs !!!!! And, people driving from the east coast on the A64 between Saxton and Malton at forty something in a sixty limit holding up miles of traffic but not giving a ****. Oh, and folk who deliberately pull across their lane to prevent bikers from filtering.

11. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    not defending cyclists here but, the edges of the roads are pretty grim with grates, manholes etc and the slight jolt you feel in the car can buckle a cyclists wheel and fair rattle his knackers ( but yes some are just arkward tawts). being an ex artic driver ( class 3 at 18, class 1 at 24) its motorist that dont indicate, as my left arm is going like a fiddlers elbow zipping down in some cases 20+ gears ( if you include, spliters and h.m.l box) and these tossers cant be bothered to move 1 finger half an inch.2. motorists that leave 4/5/6 vehicle spaces between them and the vehicle in front whilst going through traffic lights and then they slow right down, dont the thick knobs realise that if 4 cars do that then thats probably a full light sequence that,s been wasted and another 50m worth of traffic jam

Trickster Two Six likes this.
  12. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I had a similar experience a a Zebra Crossing, an old lady was struggling to cross, a few cars had driven past so I stopped as you do. Off she went very slowly,It was a boiling hot day ( pre air con) and I was knackered and leaned forward on the steering wheel, completely forgetting I had changed my car an the horn was now on the centre 'boss', well the horn blared, owd lass half way across nearly left the floor, folk looking daggers at me from all directions. I tried making apologetic gestures to explain but couldn't wait to get away!:confused:

13. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People who repeatedly use 'of' instead of 'have', eg. "we should of won"
    People who use 'won' instead of 'beat', eg. "we won Leeds 3-2"
    People who confuse there/their/they're
    People who use 'ect' instead of 'etc'
    People who can't spell Ridsdale, Hourihane, Kieffer etc etc ad-bloody-infinitum

Red Watch, Brush, anstonred and 6 others like this.
  14. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    No in that instance it's me.

People say 'between you and I'

It should be 'between you and me'

15. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's because at the said crossing the red man was lit and there was no ******* cars on the road so the pedestrians just crossed the road - clearly understandable - I bet everyone has done it yourself included!

SuperTyke likes this.
  16. leebrilleaux

leebrilleaux Well-Known Member

Student, yes a Student even at my age!
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Oh sorry this is in A Major not A Minor..........

17. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Complete rubbish. The roads are NOT funded by vehicle excise duty (no such thing as "road tax") it is more related to vehicle emissions etc. The roads are funded out of general taxation (income tax, corporation tax, VAT etc) at the national level and out of Council Tax at the local level. Besides which the vast majority of cyclists pay Vehicle Excise duty on their cars.

In law, cyclists have more rights on the roads than drivers of motor vehicles - just the same as horses do - because they were there first.

The highway code says "do not ride MORE THAN 2-abreast"- ie 2-abreast is absolutely fine, the majority of motorists don't know that. Note that there is no MUST in that quote so there is no legal compulsion behind the advice anyway. The vast majority of cyclists cycle alone and only occasionally cycle as groups in clubs etc.

Rosco likes this.
  18. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All this bollo.cks of "high fives".
    Stop this self congratulatory sh.it. "ooh, high fives, you've got out of bed/eaten your chips/put your shoes on/had a wee."
    DRIVES ME MENTAL !!!!

19. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Rather like the use of the term 'cupcakes'....they are €£¥₩@#$ buns!!

TonyTyke likes this.
  20. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Take out is when you buy a couple of bottles from the pub to drink at home, certainly not for food.

sadbrewer likes this.