Minority Report 2017/18 - Sunderland

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Aug 26, 2017.

1. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I take the point about offside, but having sat everywhere in the ground at some time , the ends IMO give a better view of the development of the game , the only reason coaching staff sit in the centre is because they need to see the detail of both attack and defence without binoculars, the ideal position would be in a helicopter over the pitch, but only SYP have that on Derby days.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. tinatyke

tinatyke Well-Known Member

Usually camping Monday to Friday in a peaceful f
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or when they want to look at topless sunbathers in their gardens !

Plankton Pete and sadbrewer like this.
  3. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When was the last time you saw me knocking an individual after a game? I do not usually do it for the reasons I previously stated but I genuinely thought that Lindsay was an accident waiting to happen and I have gone into detail with the reasons for that view, which is also unusual for me. As you say, it is an opinions game. Without opinions, there is nothing to talk about afterwards, and I enjoy talking about the game, telling people what I saw and listening to other views. It is the way that I try to learn more about the game. I walk home after games, yes all the way to Wombwell, and part of the reason that I do that is because I walk part of the way with people who I do not sit with, and we compare views of the game that we have just seen. It is almost as enjoyable as watching the game itself. You will not be surprised when I tell you that their view was similar to mine. Perhaps they were humouring me, but I don't think so as we have disagreed strongly in the past. I have no problem with justifying my views with evidence that I have used in forming my opinions. What I do struggle with though are the posters who find it easier to just question my motives for being of a different opinion. It is lazy. It is the easy way out. If you do not agree, why waste the time explaining your position when you can simply question the motives of the other party by saying something and that renders their comments without merit. Nobody learns anything, but honour is upheld. It is one of the reasons that I considered stopping these reports before the first game, and it is a reason why I am reconsidering now. By all means tell me that I am wrong and explain why you think that, but I do not come on here to have my character analysed or my motives questioned. I know that much of this is nothing to do with you, but it is a good place to get it off my chest.

Lordtyke likes this.
  4. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lyndsay and Jackson played well , first game together against a good side that didn't perform to their best. We took 15 - 20 minutes to settle then due to hammill being excellent and the midfield central 3 improving during the game and top draw finishes for the 2nd and 3rd goals we held our shape and saw out the game comfortably. With players to come in / back we must just be delighted that this new team has made and enjoy where we can.

Sometimes things just don't need to be said and the Lyndaay comments in the OP is an example of that. The majority report.

5. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Don't stop the reports. The fact that most of us disagree with you on Lindsay is not important. We have had a good debate even if you are outnumbered on this occasion.
    If we all had the same opinion it would be a bit dull on here

For what it's worth I thought Ugbo struggled with the lone striker role and did little all game except score one and make one. He also needs to get some studs in his boots.

But it's his first start in a grown up game certainly not knocking him for it.

6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've not seen the pens again so can't really judge but it was never a sending off for Lindsay. In that position it's only a red card if he denies a goal scoring opportunity which he didn't do as Davies was clearly going to get that ball well before the forward

7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Please advise location of said gardens.

tinatyke likes this.
  8. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I always read your posts and as with others sometimes agree or disagree! However I did post in the "Barnsley Accounts " thread that your detailed post there explained something to me. That is the lack of emotion in your posts. Sorry if you see this as having a go at you as I am sure you are full of passion at the games. It isn't meant to be a dig, just an observation.

9. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Allegedly

10. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wasn't someone employed by SYP convicted of this recently?

11. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Lindsay will be a great player for us. Yesterday he started slowly and took a while to grow into the game (unsuprising given his recent injury and the step up in class). He made a few mistakes in his distribution and should have been sent off. At the same time he looked like he could pick a pass and became more positionally aware as the match went on. A work in progress but an ok debut with lots more to come. Imo of course.

12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I say, it isn't the disagreement that I object to. If you state an opinion, you have to accept that others will disagree. In fact, I enjoy hearing other views and debating the rights and wrongs. What upsets me is the laziness that some have. They can't be bothered debating with me and find it easier to question my motives for having a view that differs from their own. It means that I am not getting what I want from the exchange and I might as well spend my time doing something more productive, like watching paint dry.

13. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He may well become the player that you describe, and nowhere in my match report or subsequent justification of my views, have I said that I am writing him off, but it is a big step up to the Championship from where he played previously, and at times he looked as though he needed more time with the coaching staff before he will be ready to make that step.

I am struggling to understand the response on here to my opening post. Worse stuff is posted about our players at almost daily intervals. It is almost as if Lindsay has been given the accolade of "Great White Hope" already, when he hasn't even unpacked all his bags yet.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it is more that almost everyone in the stadium agreed that Lindsay had a god game and so they are baffled why you had him down as by far our worst player and singled him out rather than that he has been labelled.

15. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So tell me why I am wrong. Don't tell me that everybody disagrees with me because that doesn't complete my education does it. I can't rationalise an alternative view unless some gives me a reason that I'm wrong. I spent time listing all the stuff he did wrong, and all I get in return is, "well most people think you're wrong". Well tell me why, then. It must be easy if there is such a strong conviction that I am.

16. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is one problem with that. I didn't say you were wrong (or right) I simply told you that the reason your post got the replies it did was because people were shocked that your view was polar opposites to almost everybody else rather than before Ng because everyone has an agenda and has decided on him being the great white hope before he had kicked a ball.

But f you do want to know why I don't think he was absolutely awful it is because he is a centre back and yet Adam Davies was not troubled all afternoon. Evidence I believe that the centre back was not absolutely awful at his job.

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't say that he made one of the more impressive debuts I've seen and certainly for the first 20 minutes he looked shakier than a jelly in a tornado but he did grow into the game. I'm not criticising you I don't think the MR is far off this week I just, perhaps, think you understated how he improved as the game went on though you could balance that by saying that Sunderland were a well beaten side by the start of the 2nd half.

18. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    An example:
    In the 13th minute ( unseen by the officials) he pulled Mcgeady's shorts down and tugged his tonka, almost gazzaesque. Needless to say Mcgeady was rendered obsolete thereafter.

19. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would be very disappointed if you stopped posting Red Rain. I for one look forward to reading the MR after every home game. Many others feel the same I'm sure. You offer an objective view of every game with some interesting analytical insight. I don't always agree with your opinion but as we all know football brings divided opinion whatever the game and whatever the team. I'm an avid reader of the BBS and a very occasional poster and you are right about some that post on here. Quick to criticise without justification and not slow in showing massive impatience when we lose a game or two. This lack of perspective does make this place a difficult place to visit at times. However it becomes a fascinating place to visit when informed debate takes place. Like you, I love to analyse a Reds game post match. It's one of the things I love about being a fan. Thinking about how we can improve for the next match and the formations etc.
    Your criticism of Liam is obviously down to how you saw the lad perform. Having seen him in all the pre-season friendlies when he acquitted himself very well, myself and my long standing dear friend The Doctor were disappointed with his performance yesterday. He looked sluggish and he also looked as though he'd put some tonnage on. Now, having said that, there is definitely a footballer in there. He's tall and strong and can make a pass. Not in evidence yesterday that much but certainly was in the friendlies.
    I can see that you want him to be successful and I think he will be. The other reason I feel OK about the lad is because Hecky and his management team know for certain one thing, amongst plenty others..........and that is how to develop defenders. Look at their record in that department.
    You're a strong advocate of patience. That being so, watch the lad grow and I would wager that when you're still reporting the minority view in 10 games time, you might have a different view. Hope so anyway. The interesting thing yesterday regarding the defence was that Pinnock was left out. He came on at Sheff U and looked comfortable. Again another astute purchase by the club. This season is certainly going to be like riding a roller coaster and by way of reiteration I do hope we'll have the opportunity to continue to read the very Broad Sheet like reports you offer us. Surely to goodness it will be more interesting than watching paint dry.
    Ps the earlier comment about the lack of emotion you show in your posts is spot on. I'd actually love to see your reaction when we score a goal or win a game. Get a photo posted and mebbe it will go viral!

20. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the praise. It is very welcome in the light of the majority of comments I have received this week. I will say once more, if I share an opinion, I must accept that there will not always be agreement. Indeed, I love the debate. What has ground my gears is the lazy way some posters prefer to avoid the discussion in favour of attacking perceived motives or character. This was my first view of Lindsay, and I did not realise that he already had a fan club amongst the posters on the BBS. I honesty thought that he was an accident waiting to happen, but that does not mean he will always be that way. I usually wait for 10 games before I make any judgement on future prospects, so hopefully Lindsay will have a better game in his next match.

During my working life, I had a job that discouraged emotion in favour of analysis, and I'm afraid old habits die hard. That does not mean that I do not have emotions, it means that I am someone who bottles them up inside. I'm sure that it is not very good for me. Of course, I'm on my feet for every goal, just like everyone else. Of course, I enjoy watching us win games more than I enjoy watching us lose, but whatever the result, I always have that short question rattling around in my brain. WHY? There always has to be an answer, a way to make things better. I actually enjoy the fact that the club gets by spending less than most, because it adds to the challenge and makes success when it comes that much sweeter than it is when you just bought it. Frankly, the proposed take-over scares me, but there is nothing I can do about it. Posters support it because they see no down side. I have worked for companies taken over by new owners in the past, and believe me, there are usually down sides.

judith charmers and HowMuch! like this.