Minority Report 2017/18 - Sunderland

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Aug 26, 2017.

1. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have to agree with you re the lazy posters; the irony is one you pointed out in this thread.......there is far worse criticism on here levelled by some at some of our players. Players who receive vitriolic and extremely negative comments without substantiation. That's the nature of the football fan in the 21st century I guess. Can't wait and won't wait.
    Like you I'm always looking for how we can improve win lose or draw and like you I don't think that throwing money around is always the right answer. It won't happen but my ultimate dream is to see a squad of locally recruited and developed lads wearing the red and taking us to the promised land. Failing that I'll make do with what we have. Chines ownership? We have to be careful what we wish for. You're right, there will be downsides but folk get caught up with the thought that new owners will bring in more money and that mire money will bring in more success. We both know that that the one doesn't necessarily follow the other.
    I've been involved in many a "downsizing" change of ownership programmes also and live on with the knowledge that change can be good but is not always good.
    By the way, my comments on the emotion thing we're not meant to be critical. Just an observation. You are who you are and fir me you're damn fine. A guy(whether male or female matters not) who has supported his home town club all his life and who cares enough about it to stick with it thru the bad times and cone out the other end with the same love as he's always had for it.
    By way of sharing I am the opposite end of the emotional spectrum. My obsession grows as I get older and its predicated upon the fact that there is nowhere else in my home town where 11000 people get together every other week all wanting and cheering for the same thing. Nowhere else in the world.
    Forget the paint and as Bruce the chin would gave said......keep posting. Up the minority report. Right up!!!

2. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ps forgive me the typos. Unforgivable.

3. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Clicked on one of these reports for the first time in ages, then instantly regretted it. Ultimately stopped reading at "In Liam Lindsay, we looked like we had an accident waiting to happen at centre back."

Extremely Northern likes this.
  4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good game, good game!

5. YTB

YTBFC Guest

None of us know owt. That needs always to be remembered. But some like to prove this more than others.

For example, the three players I have seen criticised the most since the start of the season are Bradshaw, Potts and Jackson. Although some of the absurd posts about Angus recently made me sad. That lad has been a breath of fresh air since arriving yet the speed at which some have chosen to jump on him has been shameful.

But yeah, Bradshaw was written off before a ball was kicked. Is it 4 goals in 6 games so far? Decent return. Halfway to last seasons tally.

Potts hasn't been given any time at all by many. Since his debut and after every game since he's took some quite ridiculous criticism. It's been clear to me that with each game he's improved, to the point where yesterday he was named MOTM. He wasn't mine, as it goes (Jackson for me), but he has brought something very different to the squad. He's big, strong, picks his battles well, gets stuck in and drives us forward. He's also the out ball from goal kicks etc. Superb bit of business. Sunderland media were eulogising about him post-match, comparing him with their £13m midfielder. Asking why they can't find such players.

And then Jackson. On here he's took some flak, but on social media it's been shameful stuff. And I don't even see why. I had to sit through watching Mike Flynn, Scott Wiseman and other spineless, or feeble defenders. Jacko has been a great addition and very rarely let us down when called upon. He couldn't get a game ahead of Robbo last year but now he's playing regularly his performances are getting better and better. He is the 12th best player in the division for August, 'statistically'.

It's great to debate the talents at the club. And I myself form and share opinions on players, but I can't say I write them off or abuse them online after a couple of games in the shirt.

I will be devastated if we one day go away from this current strategy. Red Rain put it well when he said it's being the poorer club, having to do things with no money that gives us a kick. We thrive off it. I do anyway. I like seeing us build a team on a pittance and beating Sunderland with their tens of millions of talent and tens of millions of debt. I don't want us to sign someone for £13m. Not even Jacob Butterfield.

An increase in budget so we can compete wages wise? Great. So we can improve facilities and equipment etc. Superb. But God I hope we don't ever become one of these clubs spending vast amounts of money on players who might be slightly better than the lads we currently get from Torquay, Forest Green or Blackpool.

End of sermon. You Reds etc.

6. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've said it before in response to this: we are poor compared to villa etc, but we are HEALTHY.

judith charmers and YTBFC like this.
  7. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was just saying as much to the dog...

Plankton Pete and YTBFC like this.
  8. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't forget the chickens!:D

Mr C likes this.
  9. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Deedars I'm afraid, Kev. They have their own problems..

judith charmers and JLWBigLil like this.
  10. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm afraid that nobody on here offers "an objective view of every game".

Long may it be so.

11. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the fact that you call your report a minority report.

This to means you a purposely posting stuff to be controversial. It's impossible for your view to be in the minority every week unless your posting stuff which isn't your actual view.

12. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I love Minority Report. It's thought-provoking.

Agree with large parts, but there's always something I'm at odds with. I enjoy it.

I loved Hemsworth's (until you banned him, Hitler) reports too. I agreed with no parts.

scarf likes this.
  13. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was called Minority Report in the early days because I expected to be in the minority. Most match reports concentrate on the emotional aspects of the game, but I am more interested in reasons and explanations. I figured that others would not share my interest, so that is the name I chose, with reference also to the film of the same name.

I have now produced the report for well over the season. The few regular readers that I have are used to the name and look out for it in the jumbled list of other postings. There is no intention to be controversial, other than the fact that the report tries to avoid biased reporting which blatantly favours my team. It is usually systems orientated.

I do not make people read it. The reports are equally easy to identify if you hate my style and have no respect for what I write. The problem I have is that some posters identify the report from its title, and in spite of having read me before and not enjoyed what I have written, they read it again simply in order to tell me either what a waste of their time it was, or how they could not read beyond the first paragraph, or they read it and believe I am on some sort of ego trip. Does that seem reasonable to you, as someone who helps to run this site?

14. YTB

YTBFC Guest

You don't need to justify your input. In amongst the absolute ********, your musings are a breath of fresh air.

I still don't think Lindsay was anything like awful, though.

15. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I noticed that too. From goal kicks Potts went to the keepers left touchline so he was one on one with someone he could win an aerial battle with. I think it was just because Ugbo was unlikely to win anything in the air, but it was nevertheless clever thinking once more from Hecky. It is the little things that you spot during the game that convince you that they have a plan and have been working on it all week. I love this stuff.

16. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've got the love! Be careful out there. Love = emotion

17. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thought we should have had a pen first half when our player (Pearson?) waiting to head the ball was blatantly pushed in the back just as the ball arrived. The ref had a clear view and simply turned away. Astonishing. Quite agree with the earlier comments about dives, both should have been booked. I also thought we were lucky to get away without Lindsay being sent off though.

wdu6132 likes this.
  18. YTB

YTBFC Guest

We get to see the teamsheets before most people, and I have to admit I was surprised to see Ugbo for Bradshaw and Barnes for Hedges. The two replaced were the only players who'd scored for us.

As I said on commentary, never doubt Hecky. He is really good at this management lark.

Connor likes this.
  19. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's where your certainly in the minority, I may have banned Hemsie but don't think for one second its a one man crusade against him (Hitler). You may have loved his posts but the majority of this forum didn't and that's what admin need to think about, the forum as a whole. You could tell already what his agender was for this season. We have just had a full season of dealing with loads of ***** caused by him, why should we put up with another just because you like him

As for @Red Rain I don't have a problem with his posts and i would encourage him to carry on as im sure there are lots who enjoy his posts, but personally I cant get further than 2 paragraphs down his post without thinking what a load of *****. That's just my opinion but at, least his is different ***** every week. His posts arn't reported and we don't receive numerous pm's complaining about him

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  20. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    :D

On a serious note though Andy, can tyrone please be told to at least try and write coherently? His attempts in the 'Scoreboard' thread are even worse than usual. I know that we all write a load of rubbish spelt any old how (Red Rain excluded) but he's definitely just trolling on purpose.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    SuperTyke likes this.