Minority Report v Stoke City

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Red Rain, Feb 24, 2021.

1. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why shouldn't people criticise him though if he keeps treating others on here with contempt, believing he is stating fact and everyone else's opinion is just biased?

I don't want him to stop posting, but constantly referring to himself in the third person and this air of superiority is cringeworthy to say the least. If he treated others with some modicum of respect he would receive a totally different response, however that would mean believing he is equal to everyone else on here and that just isn't going to happen.

2. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You see, I have argued for something other than the long ball, and others have gone to the other extreme. They have taken the view that I am advocating playing it short to the back 3 from the keeper. I am not. There is a middle ground. You can play football in other ways. There are more ways of playing than the two extremes of long ball/short passes from the keeper.

3. Langer Dan

Langer Dan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don't comment but always read Minority Report - I find them an interesting viewpoint on a game I have watched, and I also find it challenges my own rose tinted view of the game - which is good and sometimes grounding. Perhaps the writing style can grate, perhaps not. But as others have said if you don't like them, don't read them because you know what is coming.

Would be a loss if they stopped imo.

4. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    After looking in vain for a "Red Button", I eventually scrolled right down on the home page, and there was a list of all the other games which weren't on the main channels. Good quality too, no buffering or stopping.

5. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Whilst I appreciate the more conciliatory tone of your report I have to disagree here on the second goal. What I saw was Victor win the ball back in midfield superbly, play a great pass to Chaplin who cut inside and slid a ball through to a great run by DK who finished well. To say it was merely a series of mistakes makes you sound like you still have some way to go on your acceptance of reality, but keep going you’ll get there.

6. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think there was a lot more to our second goal than you describe , a huge credit has got to go to Victor as he chases back at least 20 yards , tackles , recovers the ball & sets us back into the attacking move to which Chaplin did very well & Dike with a quality finish but none of this would have happened without Victors determination

Donny-Red and Tyke_67 like this.
  7. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I have said in the past, they are called Minority Report so others will know immediately what to expect. If you like them, then the title advertises that the new one is available to read. If you dislike them, then the title tell you that there is a report that you would do well to avoid. The problem as I see it is that the people who dislike it are the ones who are first to read it, if only to tell me about my personal faults, and then they complain because I ignore their rude and personal comments. I seek no reflected glory. I make no claim that Minority Report is anything other than my opinion. I am well aware that any football professional knows far more about the game than anyone commenting on here, myself included.

Your second paragraph has a more interesting point for discussion. The last time we were promoted to the Premier League, it resulted in Administration just 3 years later. How do you believe the club should change the way it manages the next promotion to avoid that fate again.

55&counting and Old Gimmer like this.
  8. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    what formation would they be playing?

9. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When you started posting Minority Report it wasn’t much of a minority view at all. A lot of the time it was how a significant number of fans viewed things and an interesting read, as it had a more detailed reflection on a game. A level of detail I love to get in to personally.

It now feels like the content of your post has to deliberately match the title. The truth is that you can’t always give a minority view on every single game. But you’re trying to. Which means it isn’t just a different perspective but a narrative that is forced.

You’re also playing the victim again. You give as good as you get when it comes to being rude and condescending to people, so it’s disingenuous to suggest that it’s all one way on that front.

10. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Give me a TEAM that work together, understand and execute a coherent plan laid out by an astute manager, give 100% commitment and effort with a team spirit like the one we can now see over ANY team made up of a collection of expensive individuals with managers who lack the nous to turn that collection into an effective group .
    Football is a team game and requires a cohesive unit rather than individually talented players running around the pitch. Obviously, if there is a huge gulf in the level of talent between individual players then expensively assembled teams will win out. But like the Barnsley Premier League season, and recently the performance against Chelsea, where the difference in experience and ability is not huge (and some will disagree but IMO we have some seriously talented players albeit relatively inexperienced) there is clear evidence that those qualities are needed that can level the playing field. How many times this season have Barnsley with an average age of around 23 humbled expensively assembled squads both home and away?
    Exciting times and no way anyone should be putting a dampener on it IMO.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Donny-Red, kektyke and Kettlewell like this.
  11. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    and as you hint at the running we do is not just a case of VI saying “running about a bit lads”. An enormous amount of work has gone into this way of playing. From the sports science department getting the players fitness up to unbelievable levels, to the coaches who must do so many drills on how to press to the analytics department showing when to press and when not to. This is not the free flowing Brazilian football of Wilson and Winstanley but this is one of the best coached teams I have ever watched.

Duntpasstome and Donny-Red like this.
  12. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It is true that Minority Report is different. Firstly, it is a reaction to the comments that it was too long and boring, and why didn't I get to the point. The second thing is that I am now witnessing games through the lens of a camera and through the mind of a director. I cannot look where I want to look, or test my theories by checking something as the game progresses. In my opinion, they are less my personal reflections of the game as a result.

If I have been rude or personal to anyone in this thread, then please point it out to me. I do not think that I have, but I would be happy to apologise if you can show me where it has happened.

Kettlewell likes this.
  13. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some very good points in there. Some I agree with and some I don’t. Not sure why people get upset by RR and his views. We don’t all have to agree. We have a limited squad but Val as got them playing in a system that drags the absolute maximum out of them.

14. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are you having a go at the current owners for something they havent done in the future?

We exist within our means. Can you see that changing any time soon?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, I am responding to something written by OrsenKhat.

16. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon big Val knows his way round a bottle of Red and a plate of paella

17. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now that's class of high comedic value!

18. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think he was having a go, I think he was just asking a general question after orsen had mentioned promotion.

19. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have no views on that. As you've pointed out before, the economics of the Championship are those of the madhouse. The Premier League is a whole different level of crazy. But it would be interesting to see how they would approach it. No spending/investing/gambling (delete as appropriate) would mean a swift return. It might also signal that the current level of 'pragmatism' in the playing style would persist. Would we be happy with that?

20. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is something I have been thinking about over the last few days, and I have to confess, I do not know what they would do. The first thought that jumped into my mind is that the value of the club would be higher if it was a Premier League club. I have always believed that the owners have the same philosophy about the club as they do about the players. That is, I believe that they bought the club in order to make money, and the only way that they can do that is to improve it and sell it on when they get an offer that gives them a good profit for the time, money and expertise that they have invested. The problem is that they need to find a buyer who believes they can take the club on from there, and there is the rub.

55&counting and Donny-Red like this.