Murdered for being different

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedStriker, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No Oakwell for 30 years......Actually I was a death penalty advocate but after seeing a documentry where most lifers said thet would rather have been executed I think your right.

TitusMagee likes this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They are sentenced to life. They are then given a minimum term that they must serve before they are eligible for parole. If they are still deemed a danger to society they will not be released. If they are released they are still serving their life sentence on parole. If they break the terms of their parole they will be taken back to prison. They can, at any time, without committing another crime or breaking the terms of their parole, be taken back to prison simply on the suspicion that they are a danger to society.

3. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sorry I just don't believe in second chances for someone who has taken an innocent life in a violent premeditated way, that includes carrying weapons on spec

dekparker likes this.
  4. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It throws up a debate about what you perceive the purpose of prisons to be. If it is to rehabilitate criminals to prevent them from re-offending, then whole life tariffs are a waste of time. If it is purely to keep the public safe, then they serve their purpose for serial murderers such as Sutcliffe etc. What is clear is that they do not act as deterrents for thousands of offenders, mostly due to the high levels of re-offending.

I honestly do not know the solution, however believe that prisons should be a mixture of rehabilitation and keeping the wider public safe from the most dangerous offenders. I would imagine most people agree with that.

5. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Simple, give the sentence that is to be served, then declare additional time for bad behavior...IE.instead of 2 years sentence now only serving 12 to 14 months sentence 18 months to be served as a minimum with 6 months in reserve for bad behavior. This would put an end to the public being outraged when they find out how little some are serving..
    The declared sentence on the day would be it, unless you misbehave then it's back to court and the additional is added...

6. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    As has already been posted, it’s a lot more expensive to execute than to keep someone in prison for life.