My attention tonight was on the CEO Gauthier

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Hemsworth Tyke, Nov 15, 2017.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. After years of Don Rowing etc I thought Mansford was outstanding. I'll never understand the criticism he got in certain quarters.

2. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bring back Alan Blah!

Extremely Northern likes this.
  3. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I couldn’t attend last night, work and family commitments.

However I can see that it didn’t go as many hoped.

My thoughts are that it is unrealistic to have expected the level of disclosure some of you wanted, that it would be of detriment to the club for some of that info to be in the public domain.

Even the stuff about finances and income, which due to our increased turnover will have to be made public with more detailed accounts filing at some point, would have been foolish to disclose now - 6 weeks before a transfer window which we plan to be active in.

However it does seem that they were evasive about a lot of things. Whilst this doesn’t concern me massively - public speaking and transparency isn’t necessarily a top priority for an effective ceo in football. However I can see why it would annoy folk when they’ve been invited to a q&a.

For this reason it looks like the whole event created more questions than it answered, and I wonder whether there was any point at all in doing it.

I can only conclude that Mr Cryne wanted a last opportunity to meet with the supporters. It saddens me to hear he looked so frail and so if it was purely done on a whim for him, then I think we maybe should accept it for what it was.

I accept folks opinion on Ganaye. He isn’t the PR person Mansford was, but I’ll judge him as a ceo after this window and maybe the summer. Any employee of the club can be judged only on the success of the club on the pitch - yes they might not be directly involved but that is the ultimate end aim of any activity. It would be nice if he engaged with us fans more, but that isn’t his sole and major purpose.

Whilst we have a manager we can all associate with who speaks so eloquently and freely, it seems little an issue.

Thanks to those who attended for their thoughts on this and other threads.

churtonred likes this.
  4. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes the CEO. His targets are off the field.

To make it easier to exaplin for myself. The CEO of arsenal last season got a 1 million pound bonus for what he did. If you listen to the Manchester city CEO he talks about his actual role. Goodness a CEO can do that and its all off field for him at the three football clubs he partly runs

5. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough but any CEO can sit down and explain what his role is. We all pretty much know anyway. People don't want to know that information though do they? They want to know what we pay player X, how much we paid for Player Y and why player Z left the club etc. All things that, for obvious reasons, they're never going to find out.

6. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You'd do yourself a big favour mate if you didn't immediately follow up your great comments, with comparisons to arsenal and man city.

BarnsleyReds, fitzytyke2 and Spuggy like this.
  7. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm just saying what my understanding of the role is and by the arsenal CEO getting a seven figure bonus when the team didn't get champ league football shows again that the role can't be a on the field judgement role.

8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I think I found a video of the meeting, someone must have smuggled a camera phone in

9. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. But surely you understand the calibre of CEO will be massively different, between Barnsley and Arsenal/Man City? It's totally unrealistic to measure him against CEOs at these Clubs. I imagine comparisons to other mid-Champ and upper League 1 CEOs would be more relevant.

10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Like for example Sunderland?

Their owner and CEO seem to be doing a great job to get the fans onside

Oh sorry you said other mid-Champ my bad

ScubaTyke likes this.
  11. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't matter what your understanding is. The CEO acts within the remit given to him by the owner.

12. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was engaging with you on a reasonable exchange of opinion and again you take it back to Man City and this time Arsenal. Phil you can’t compare them. They have CEO’s but as part of a much larger team of executives and directors, with hundreds of employees under them doing the work that Ganaye will be doing himself here.

So Arsenal’s CEO got a £1million bonus did he? Good for him. His role will be different to Ganaye‘s in that Arsenal are ran top to bottom by Arsene Wenger - the CEO is essentially Wenger’s boss - but Wenger interviewed and selected him, or at least was heavily involved in it. His bonus was probably approved by Wenger after he told the owners that actually they’d had a good season! Or given because once again they turned a tidy profit, or just because they were contractually obliged to do so. Maybe if they had got champions league football his bonus would have been much more. Maybe it was a bonus earned over several years not just one? You’d probably know more than me.

At a club of smaller stature like ours, the ceo is there to run the club, to support the playing team and staff, negotiate transfers, contracts, sponsorship and marketing deals. All of it. Probably assisted very little.

13. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you are wrong , I don’t care what the club secretary ( don’t know when the title CEO came in its the same job that Spinksy did) has to say anyway . The clubs social media profile has improved a 1000% since Manchild left .

YTBFC likes this.
  14. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    11/10

15. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

If you've decided you're not going to like someone, you're hardly going to guffaw at their jokes are you?

This guy just seems like the latest in a long line of people at the club that doesn't meet with your approval to be fair.

MarioKempes likes this.
  16. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Top post, Phil. Thanks for that.

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries you are entitled to your opinion. The CEO is not going to be in charge of social media. Mansford prompted and developed relationships with the fans and created the best communication between club and team since Mr Cryne took over. Again imo.

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

19. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    If HT doesnt like him, he must be amazing based of Hemmsy's track record.

I'd be really worried if Hemsworth thought he was as promising as Frimpong...

Abruzzo Red likes this.
  20. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Troff.
    First of all. I was using the other known CEO's as comparisons and a known bonus for Ivan the CEO of Arsenal in the clubs worst league finish for 20 seasons or whatever.
    You say it would be foolish to disclose The clubs financial position 6 weeks before the transer market.
    Sorry but which club wouldn't get to know if they really wanted to. All the players have agents and any clubs wanting to acquire any information needed.
    You say transparency isn't necessarily a top priority.
    The priority from him last night was to avoid any question he could. Transparency's something the club like to talk about. It's something the owner mentioned in a way last night in my opinion with we run the club for the fans and they are the important ones.
    I'm going to get hate for this but I was right on him in July. He pulled the wool across peoples eyes, not me though Mr Ganaye. It's not hard to see why you avoid fans at any given opportunity and at u23 matches will stand in a place that people won't approach from.
    It's not just the CEO with PR. It's the media team. Sorry but it's awful from the twitter stuff to Ifollow.
    The head coach avoids like last night. I can't/ won't/ don't speak about that's often used.
    -------
    Churtonred
    You say any CEO can sit down and explain the role.
    He couldn't. That's what he was asked. How can we judge you and apart from well it's going well on the field (which isn't true imo) he wouldn't say anyone else. Surely the recruitment agency had better contacts than this.
    --------------------
    Marc
    Like I say near the top. It's easier for me to compare in that way because people can go and see what these pople have said in the past quite easy. The Manchester City CEO had a video on the link I put on the other day.