My JPT match report and player assessments

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Prince of Risborough, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really not sure what happened to this thread. The posts from Jay are so out of character, and like PoR has said, I always read, respect and like not only what he says, but the way he words things. But then he almost snapped, totally out of character. Kind of like ignoring Ronnie Biggs then chopping off the hand of a 5 year old for nicking some sweets. Thankfully it seems Jay has now read the report, and I'm glad, because by not reading it he was spiting himself of a really good read. If you don't like the opening statement, at least give the rest a go. If it;s one of the many 'trolls' on here posting, you know usually what you're gonna get - but not from someone like PoR who is well worthy of reading on.

If I read a review on Trip Advisor of a hotel, and they start slagging off the horse riding excursion, I bypass that as I have no interest in equine activities, but I then continue onto the relevant stuff. Sorry for the analogies.

Anyway, thank you PoR for the detailed report, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and took absolutely no offense to your opening piece. I think Jay must be on the rag this month :p

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. I like the depth of insight on your posts and always look forward to them.

3. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even the most patient and understanding have only so many buttons that can be pressed until the inevitable happens. I'm just surprise that the ones I call the more "senior" or learned amongst us haven't snapped earlier.

This board is so so different to the one I originally signed up to.

Evolution isn't always for the better

4. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Totally agree, but not sure it is the BBS or the internet in general. People seem more forthright in what they post (or is it aggressive? ) not only on here but Twitter, Facebook to name but two. I even go on an ever-so-boring (to some) photography forum where a long serving lady left this morning as she has seen "constructive criticism replaced by downright rudeness and nit-picking".

Not even sure anymore why it is called 'social' media. The social aspect is talking via a keyboard to people you seldom meet or interact with. What is social about sitting alone at a keyboard or tapping away on your phone ?

When I was old enough, my BFC social activities were chatting in the Working Mens Clubs I went in, and carrying it on in the Grove Street queues and with those around me on the Ponty End. Sure opinions differed, but it never got nasty or reached the point where you were scared of speaking up for fear of ridicule. And it continued in that vein in the early days of the BBS and similar (been on here since '98) where it was almost as convivial as actually being in and around Oakwell. Summat's changed, and it's not for the better. People just seem to be more comfortable back-biting now than actually sharing opinions in a friendly manner. I'm not exactly Mr Sensitive, but I do think twice about posting these days. I also agree that I am as guilty of this behaviour at times myself.

I use that "count to 10 before hitting 'post' " method now, or at least I try to.

5. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't disagree with any of that Andy mate, it only seems in the last few years that it's taken to name calling and falling out on here, I'm blaming the club for having an unsuccessful period because everything seems brighter when we are winning. :)

6. Whi

Whitey Guest

I read the thread in a similar manner to Jay. I always appreciate an in-depth match report if I've not been to said match, but this thread began with some sort of point made towards other posters. However, it didn't rile me like it must have done Jay, and I think both he and PoR have explained each others reasoning. Two of the better contributors to this less appealing BBS.

And you're right, it's not the BBS as it once was, sadly. There's a reason I do that not a podcast thing now (other than laziness). It just saves posting lots of stuff on here and getting embroiled in arguments with folk. Bang it all on there, and those who don't like me or what I post/say will ignore it. I mean, why would you listen to it if you don't like that poster?

And I've finally learnt not to bite. Couple of relevant threads on here last couple of days about a certain laiker, bait was laid out for me, I read them all, laughed, moved on. It's only took me four years, mind. :D

7. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been away so certainly appreciated and enjoyed the read. In terms of the tongue in cheek comments. Spot on. Them that give it should have the spine to take it also.
    Keep on posting. Like many others, I am always interested in your opinion.

8. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for your kind words Mr googs - very much appreciated

9. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As they say in this wonderful forum....... ^^^this^^^