New BBS Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Gally, Mar 2, 2017.

1. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not really sure if it's just a Firefox issue, but when I attempt to start a new thread there isn't anywhere to type the message body, only the thread title.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same here (apart from the overseas bit). I guess if I tried to put my finger on it I would say that it's a combination of how it looks and the switch to match day threads. Not having red seems to make it not feel like Barnsley to me, the association seems to be lost and therefore the desire to spend large periods of time here. Also, the match day threads are dead, we've lost the silliness that individual random threads seemed to bring. I liked coming on here and laughing at how random people were and the daft things they came up with. I do really like long serious threads too but the blend of the two seemed to be right. It seems a chore to read through a 5 page thread. It's very handy how it automatically jumps to the new posts but I still get bored clicking on the same thread every day and 10 new posts in one thread makes the board seem emptier than 10 new threads. One of the reasons a lot of people gave for wanting a match day thread was that they didn't like wasting time reading lots of small and similar threads. The thing is, when people start spending less time on here then they find other things to do in that time. Those things then break the habit and we get less and less people posting on here which causes less people in turn.

For example, If I log on and see only one thread has a new post (even if it has 10 or more) the board still looks dead. If it's a thread I wasn't particularly bothered about then there's nothing to look at so I automatically close the page and go on my way to another website or RL things. If I logged in and there were ten new threads, it would take me 10/15mins to read through them all. There might still be nothing I was bothered about but in the time it took me to read them, someone else may have posted a new thread so I stay a few mins longer and in that time, I may have thought of something to post myself. If that's the case, then I may stay a big longer waiting to see if there was a reply and new threads may appear. All this contributes to me staying around longer and making it a part of my day and therefore more likely to come back the next day.

SuperTyke likes this.
  3. Pepe Lopez

Pepe Lopez Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks JamDrop - Glad to know it's not just me. You nailed it far better than I could, and perhaps if there is just one word to sum up what's missing, then probably it is "fun". Like you, I kept the old site on on the background and would look at stuff several times a day and have a good chuckle at times.

But, I don't want to sound like a grumpy old knacker. Judging by the other comments, I think we are in a minority. I'll still no doubt drop in from time to time & hopefully will get used to it.

SuperTyke, I hear you & understand the questions. I used the hybrid view and always on my laptop/desktop, but that's not the issue. It's not that I'm not keen on the new look (it's very slick), but there is just something about it that doesn't have the fun-factor anymore. It's like trying to explain say, why you might like Justin Bieber rather than Metallica

4. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gally, does the server time stay as pre daylight saving? It's an hour behind at the moment.

5. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    its ok IMHO. would really like a threaded option though. Oh and I certainly do not like the Banner, there is nothing there to suggest they are actually Barnsley fans ....unless you know one of them OFC. But the actual BBS is fine, its quick and stable etc.

6. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No i get that on Chrome as well. Have to go via Tapatalk to start a new thread.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk