Nike England shirt, St George’s Cross

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by judith charmers, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't bellieve the fuss about this.

a, There's not even a flag on the shirt most of the time. It's not been replaced at all. It wouldn't be there otherwise! If they change it to the three rainbows then fair enough, kick off.
    b, It's been done before, multiple times. England 2011, Team GB 2012 and a variety of goalkeeper kits. Nobody cared then, and quite rightly!
    c, Why should we care anyway? It's a football top, and no offence was intended with the inclusion of a different looking flag.

So why is everyone mad this time? Because we've been whipped up into a nonsense culture war over the last 10 years.

Can we pull the plug at X and Facebook yet? As a species, we can't handle them. Or at least can't be trusted with them - we know that Russia and I'm sure plenty of others have been using them to create disunity. It's all fed in to the nonsense like this we see every week now.

anstonred, savemyday, JamDrop and 4 others like this.
  2. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Supposed to represent all aspects of football, I believe it’s Men’s, Women’s & Youth and was created to represent the new united and inclusive approach of the FA called ‘Brand England’.
    Around 2021 it was altered and was also called ‘woke’ etc at the time.
    I don’t recall as much noise as this about it but maybe that was because it was an alteration of the FA Logo as opposed to a perceived flag.

3. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Take a look at the wendy one. I believe millions :) bought it. Given the club were charging around £70
    Mi lad bought me an England one about 10yrs ago. Still in good nick.
    The kids full strip names etc bonkers price around £14.

RichK likes this.
  4. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    As a litigious bike nonce once said.......
    why can't we just ban X, China did.

5. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have to say, I think its wrong to have those colours, its not a case of whether it has always been there but the fact that when it is there it is the flag of St George and not some emblem to be twonked about with, so I get why some folk are annoyed with it albeit the usual morons are going too far.
    The litmus test for me is would the Welsh and Scots or Irish be happy if their flags had been 'converted' and I think we all know the answer to that one!
    Personally I hope they hardly sell any mainly because those prices are outrageous especially in the current economic climate, pure rip off!

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was a different colour on the 2018 shirt. Nobody cared. Different on 2011 shirt. Nobody cared. Different shape on god knows how many others too and nobody cared. Difference now is that a load of bigots have been allowed by the Tory scum to think their bigotry is acceptable so they spew their ***** without fear

Also how many of the football fans who are offended have ever complained about the England flag being defaced with words like for example Barnsley or xxx red written on them in football stadiums? Not a single one. But put a bit of purple on it and they're in tears

anstonred and savemyday like this.
  7. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I doubt the Welsh or Scots would give a flying one. They're fiercely proud, absolutely, but not quite as gammony about it as the usual suspects who've kicked off east & south of the border.

Here are some Scots looking really annoyed about what they've done with the saltire.

[​IMG]

8. North Yorks Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

9. North Yorks Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why does it always have to be about the ‘bigots’ and ‘Tory scum’ , I have also seen reasonable comments from ‘ordinary’ people. Why can’t people be allowed to express opinions without all being tarred by the same brush.
    Nobody has ever seen putting their own local allegiances on the flags as defacing them because the flag is still the flag. ‘ bit of purple’ as you put it makes it nonsensical as to what it is.
    Personally I can’t get wound up about something like this but it doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion, as should many others.

10. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most of the people 'having an opinion' about it are only doing so because they've been told to by the $hitrags, filth like Gullis or Leeanderthal, or the scum at GB News. Even Starmer & Sunak's comments were very much what they thought everyone wanted to hear, rather than their genuine opinions. I doubt either of them are bothered by it in the slightest. Faux outrage, concocted by the right because it plays well with their base.

11. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your first paragraph has been gone over too many times. People have stated their case. Doesnt make em bigots but traditionalists and proud of the flag in its st george colours.

As to the second.
    They are not defaced as you'd like to put it imo. They represent Barnsley England. Etc. Great to see different ones around the grounds rather than just the flag itself. Even at cricket. + a bonus for us red and white.
    As for any other colour on it, that's ludicrous. Why would anyone entertain one in the first Place. Unless it's a GB flag. Or a personal choice. Not one made for everyone.
    Pretty sure if England was written across the flag of St George. (As is on many T shirts for example) There wouldnt be a debate.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  12. Mr BFC88

Mr BFC88 Well-Known Member

North Area Council
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the type of incrementalist thinking that allowed the Governments the world over (practically) to instigate lockdowns and vaccine mandates with little resistance.

It's just three weeks to flatten the curve....it's just until we get a vaccine....it's just until the majority get vaccinated...

A country's flag should never be tampered with, unless it's decided by the people whose flag it belongs to decides to change it.

"It's just" is the mentality that allowed half of Europe to be taken over by a tyrannical mass-murderer not so long ago.

"It's just a flag", "It's just another political party", "They're just taking back land they once held", "it's just a star on a coat"...

Agendas are implemented gradually these days, so that otherwise sensible people don't react to them.

13. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    There’s reaching and then there’s this…

14. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just when you think you've seen it all on here, someone comes along and compares the colour of an inch high cross to WW2 and the holocaust.

15. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    [​IMG]

16. North Yorks Red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Go on then, I’ll bite, you obviously have opinions on things, where do you get yours from?
    Presumably from your comments you don’t get yours from those sources so why couldn’t others do the same just because they have a different opinion?
    Starmers a football fan, so why shouldn’t he have an opinion?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  17. Micky Finn

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing to bite at. I just don't think it's any great surprise that the most vocal critics of this tiny bit of embroidery are the same brains trust figureheads that demonise migrants, belittle the less-well-off, happily share slurs around the LGBTQ+ community and generously bandy the word 'woke' around without really knowing what it actually means. Triggering their far-right base is literally all they have. Both Starmer and even Sunak almost had to be press-ganged into saying they didn't like the design. I genuinely don't believe they're bothered, but knew that might not play well with a section of the electorate.

There have been several iterations of the England shirt down the years that have taken even greater liberties with the cross of St George. Unless I missed something, I don't remember any objections at the time....[​IMG]

anstonred likes this.
  18. ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon

ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Great post but that kit was bloody awful. It's funny that I've generally preferred the Scotland kits that don't have a saltire or derived saltire imagery for no other reason than I think they look a bit naff but the pure bloods seem to like that stuff :rolleyes:

Micky Finn likes this.
  19. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but it's a tiny bit on the nape of the neck and yes, other countries have done the same. Radio 5 had a designer on yesterday afternoon who did similar things for several countries' (including England's) shirts over many years and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. It's all a bit pathetic really and just a result of the right's culture wars. Do you read the Hate Mail or the Torygraph by any chance?

20. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And the case rests mi lud

Daft get.