No inquiry into Orgreave.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Micky Finn, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Absolute Disgrace

Personal attack?

In that case so was Hillsbrough.

I'm not a Labour supporter. Besides which I don't remember Labour being in power after the publication of the Hillsbrough report....

The establishment will close ranks as usual and do nothing, it has to come from the Government to get anywhere.

2. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Surmising upon the words you have posted hardly constitutes a personal attack.

Hillsborough and Orgreave are linked by SYP, but to therefore conclude that firstly because there was one inquiry there should be another, and secondly the Hillsborough inquiry would have been a waste of time if there was no Orgreave inquiry, is to me wrong.

Next, the vast majority of the circumstances regarding Orgreave have been known for years. So no excuses for leaving a final decision this long, from anyone.

Finally, I think you will find that there is nothing much more "establishment" than the government itself.

3. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark

To be honest I don't think an inquiry just into Orgreave would have been sufficient ,
    The inquiry needs to cover the whole of the strike and the Govt of the times true role in the political ideation of the National Police Force they secretly created and nurtured .
    The Orgreave truth and justice campaign are now going down this line and although will get no assistance from a Tory govt with elements of Thatcher's idealism entrenched may one day come to roost on them from possibly the next labour govt .
    This will reap better rewards for the justice the working people of this country deserve.

4. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The other option would be a proper inquiry into the working practices of SYP over the years, between Orgreave (and the strike), Hillsborough and the Rotherham abuse cases (probably others too) policing in the county has had a lot of problems in the past that need to be considered.

As an aside, a workmate of mine was on SYP during the 80s. He told me a few stories recently about some of the activities of the Met officers up here during the strike - including a couple of squad cars having to intercept a van load of Met police on the Parkway who had "borrowed" the tv from the break room and were on their way back to London with it in the bus (I think it was Snig Hill or West St), so I suspect that any close view of SYP during the 80s would deeply implicate the Met at least...

5. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

A public enquiry would not be a waste of time and money, that is an insult to all those people past and present that have been campaigning tirelessly for years. There are still many questions to be asked and answered. The SY Police Commissioner expressed his disappointment at the decision not to hold an enquiry as he sees it as missed opportunity to finally move on once and for all.
    This is a cruel decision, particularly as it was strongly hinted by govt ministers this would not be the case. As for blaming this govt now, it should've been there duty to acknowledge, and accept the outcome of a public enquiry and act upon it to ensure this could never happen again. Sadly, it is a political decision that (imo) just reinforces the entrenched views of a largely horrible party.

6. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That famous picture of the charging mounted copper about to hit a woman with a camera with his baton stick who was well away from the massed group of miners should alone be enough to convince any fair minded home secretary of the need for an enquiry let alone the number of ex- police who have come forward and stated some of what went on - incitement, provocation etc. The Met have a lot to answer for.

Tebbit (old school Thatcherite) wasn't actually there and relies on media coverage as absolute proof that nothing underhand took place?? Give me a break!! A politician who believes everything the medai put out??

The look on the cops face when his baton was raised ready to strike a woman who was clearly absolutely no threat whatsoever say it all really.

As for the 'it is time to let it go' argument and nothing will come of it, whilst I have no connection with mining other than I lived in Barnsley at the time and my wife's dad was a retired (on the grounds of disability due to working as a miner) people need closure in the form of seeing justice done and people responsible held to account. Whilst I am not a Labour voter, leaning more to the right and, genuinely, do not wish people ill, I was happy when Thatcher died as I believe she was single handedly responsible for many of the problems we have in British society today. Certainly not missed by me!

7. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I totally agree there should be an enquiry, so why didn't the labour govt we had for 10/11 years order one, just asking like

8. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They should have, perhaps official documents that are released 30 years after the event may have had something to do with it?

9. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let's face it, this is all about defending that fkin bitch. One word for her........CANCER.

10. jedi one

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    that takes it to 2004

11. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Not really, the Government is formed by politicians who may have motives for fighting the establishment. The establishment consists principally of the Judiciary, the Civil Service, The Police and the armed forces.

Agreed, so why has nothing happened?

They are linked because many campaigners for Hilsbrough have have campaigned over Orgreave. Its the SYP which is the common factor on the other side, repressing the truth and covering things up.

It looked like you were accusing me of already having made up my mind. You certainly have.

12. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    According to Look North SYP have already collected all the documents together and have employed an archivist to deal with information requested by an enquiry , so SYP must have been sure an enquiry was going to go ahead

13. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    30 years would make it 2014. Unless the documents are protected for 20 years, which would be 2004.

14. dek

dekparker Well-Known Member

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    there will be an enquiry one day,probably when all of us that were on strike are dead

15. jedi one

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    sorry got my maths wrong, but why didn't a labour govt push for an inquiry

16. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    probably for the same reasons that they didnt stop any further pit closures,ie,they were as glad as the tories to see the back of the num.

17. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

There you go again with your repression and cover ups.

No need for an inquiry. Nothing personal.

18. dek

HGV Driver
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

thing is there were cover ups,stories fabricated,wrongfull arrests,assults etc.. dozens of lads were arrested,charged with fcukin riots,imprisoned while they were needing hospital attention,beaten up while under arrest,...and YET,every single one of them had there case thrown out,by a court system that wasnt quite as bent as those *******s that were trying to manipulate it.Most of the wrongful arrests later sued for damages and ALL were settled by the police out of court.

the tories using the 'There were no deaths' stance is absolutely fcukin shameful and is a stain on the lives that were lost at hillsborough,only a tory could stand in the commons and use such language,they have no moral fibre,non of them.

dont anyone tell me the miners wernt blameless at orgreave either,they were set up . end of. the picket had been well organised and in stark contrast to every other day of the strike,no men were turned back and sent home,in fact the cops welcomed them,then as the morning wore on,once the miners had been coralled into the field.the twenty deepx100yard wide police lines opened up and the horses charged,the rest is history;

19. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's generally speaking 30.

20. tobyornottoby

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Nasty old police, devising tactics.

They should've just stood there, a black line, taking it.