non contentious fact about the EU HoL debate...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surely our last game against Lincoln City or Boston would be more appropriate :)

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe our forays into the Anglo Italian cup might get a mention..

3. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I learn today that 10% of doctors working in the NHS are from elsewhere in the EU. Considering the widespread reports of pressure on the NHS and the fact that medical student to fully-fledged GP is a 10 year stint I would have thought that that alone justifies the HoL in trying to ensure the continuing residency status of EU nationals here. Quite simply, the system would risk collapsing if these key staff were unable to remain. Soeven though that is unlikely, that uncertainty ought to be removed a.s.a.p. (in my opinion).

4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Agree 100% I do not understand why the Govt would overturn the amendment. It is NOT a bargaining chip. As I said , I do not believe the EU CAN negotiate the status of UK migrants in EU states only individual countries can do that. The UK might have the power, IF we also left the ECHR, to deport settled EU nationals but it would be insanity to do so, a logistical nightmare and above all a horrendous inhumane act for those involved. Personally I think 'acquired rights' under international law would prevent wholesale deportaions anyway. UK migrants in EU states would still have protection both under international law AND certain sections of the ECHR applicable to non EU migrants (bearing in mind only the UK thus far is leaving the EU). It is therefore not a like for like situation. Those extremist voting leave who want to stop immigration in its tracks and deport people sttled here (I was NOT one of them in spite of one or two on here accusing me of being so) will be disappointed when the UK leaves the EU if it remains in the ECHR