Non Footy: Interesting balanced BBC blog...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Libya. If 30% of the migrants were refugees then we contributed to a significant number.

On that list there are a number of countries we have had a significant impact on over the years be it through outrageous loans to corrupt dictators and pillaging resources.

Most surprising country on the list was Pakistan, assume their not coming by boat as suggested before?

2. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sorry but with all due respect, in the context of Italy two nonsensical statements in your comments above stand out.
    Italy already has 25-30% youth unemployment amongst the indigenous population with many young graduates chasing non-existent jobs so frankly your statement re young migrants boosting the economy is nonsense especially as most have no language skills or qualifications. Most are reduced to begging outside supermarkets and malls. Second point is, the numbers have reduced from a huge weekly influx but, for example, whilst all the media was focussed on the refusal to allow the non-registered rescue ship access to italian ports, on the sme day, the Italian coastguard ship docked with 900 migrants it had rescued near the Libyan coast. ALL Italian registered vessels continue to land migrants, and yes , the numbers are down, but still at an unsustainable level in a country reeling from natural disasters (devastating Earthquakes and floods over the last 2 years)

I agree on the issue of the Euro being a disaster for the PIGS but if Italy left the Euro it would be the death knell of the EU as it is and , in spite of me being very pro Brexit, it would cause a crisis not only in Europe but the UK that would dwarf the 2008 crash. Brexit would lessen the impact but it would not make us immune to teh fallout.

My personal belief is , like global warming, it is beyond our control to prevent it but we can plan to mitigate as much as possible by planning to reduce its long term effects

3. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you say my second point is wrong then instantly admit it is right and quote refugees fleeing Libya as part of your reasoning. Very strange paragraph.

The UK will enter a recession of its own back due to a housing bubble and mass personal debt.

The EU is a good project as a customs union but the currency is a big failure.

4. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    "Refugees fleeing Libya"?? You do realize Libya is a 'staging point' for migrants (mostly economic) from many countries as well as genuine refugees for entry into Europe? You are makng false assumptions.
    Furthermore whilst I acknowledged that numbers have reduced but you were implying that they were therefore now at a sustainable non problematic level. That is the part I found inaccurate and nonsensical.
    No sign of a recession (like the ones we were promised post Leave vote) That said, for many parts of the UK it probably does feel like a recession with the cuts. Unfortunately UK PLC has been spending more than it has been creating for the past few decades and we all know where that has led to. High wages and low productivity for decades (successive Govts,management and unions all to blame) is the bubble that has burst not merely housing and personal debt. Printing money is never the answer long term as the EU will find out when QE finishes.

5. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The UK is a complex mess but the housing bubble which has led to extreme levels of personal debt and allowed for a spending fuelled recovery will only lead to a greater recession than 07/08 in the very near future.

Maybe then some of the problems will be addressed but I won’t be holding my breath.

Blaming unions for the mess the country finds itself in is one of the best takes I’ve read. Selling every public owned entity has left this country in a state of paralysis coupled with solely obsessing over the financial services sector.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Marlon likes this.
  6. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yuu appear to have been a little 'selective' when reading posts vis a vis - You will note I blamed management , and successive Governments as well as the unions (or do you deny that some unions in the 70's in particular had become too powerful and political Post '70's). I full agree though, due largely to Thatcher, the 'pendulum' has swung too far the other way with the emasculation of unions and the erosion of workers rights .

I also see you did not acknowledge my comment regarding your claim that the influx of hundreds of thousands of young migrants would 'benefit ' Italy (or do you still believe that?)
    Anyway we must agree to disagree on that one.

On your point about huge UK personal debt, I agree it is one element that could -only could- lead to a recession, but there are many factors in play including the over reliance on the financial sector. It is complex as you say,

7. Wig

Wiggy Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When unemployment is at the point it is in Italy currently obviously they will be a burden in their current numbers. I do acknowledge that.

I agree with Deetee on the point that the root cause is better to be dealt with than the symptom. Try and help the situation the people are fleeing rather than exacerbating it and they wouldn’t be turning up in the first place.