O/T Brexit.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Nov 1, 2018.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's pretty obvious there will be extra costs. There will be inevitably barriers to trade between the UK and the rest of Europe both financially and in terms of red tape.
    Add to that the complete uncertainty about the whole situation and you'd have to be bonkers to even contemplate setting up in the UK.

M.C.Tyke likes this.
  2. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree about the uncertainty and I would certainly be waiting if I was in his position.
    All I’m saying is everyone are jumping to conclusions about what will happen as predicted by ‘experts’ , however all the predictions so far haven’t panned out as predicted.
    As an example it’s on the news today house prices were predicted to slow down dramatically if we voted to leave, yet they continue to grow.

3. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well we may disagree about the eventual outcome of brexit. The cold hard facts are that in the interim the UK is suffering in instances like this. In terms of attracting new business investment from overseas it has both hands tied behind its back.

4. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

There is only uncertainty because of the infighting and ridiculous stories that people on here perpetuate, eg the egg man above. The procrastination has caused the uncertainty, not brexit. Once it has happened he can choose to put his business where he wants knowing facts.

I put in about the “experts” and the millennium bug earlier. Nobody knows! If the experts were to be believed back then, power stations were exploding, planes and satellites falling from the sky, basically taking us back to the dark ages. A little bit like the predictions for this.

I actually wish this thing hadn’t been started. It’s a little bit like the gun debate in the US. Too many people entrenched in their own ideas and wanting the other side to fail if anything happens.

It always goes down to a slanging match our side is more intelligent than you, you are too young to understand, you are too old to understand, you’re a racist, you’re a looney lefty, etc... it won’t ever be resolved because it will never suit both sides of the argument. There will always be someone chucking a spanner in the works for their ultimate “I told you so!”

lk311 and Simon De Montforte like this.
  5. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’re going to be afraid ???
    Why ???
    Are you an ugly blacky ???

6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    You do realize we haven't left yet are still in the customs union and single market so of course a lot of the predictions of experts haven't yet come to pass. They may never do if we agree a customs and services deal with the EU but lets get rid of this idea that the experts dont know what they are talking about shall we.

There are multiple things that we are reliant on the EU for not just trade - the cake analogy earlier in this whilst over "egging" it a bit does make some valid points. None expert politicians and brexiteers have been saying that we can strike trade deals easily and the deal with the EU will be easy.
    thats working out well. Expert trade negotiators have been pointing out that these are complex difficult things that take time and also any deal with the EU or the US - or even India will come with us agreeing to conform to certain standards and almost certainly a trade deal with either the EU or the USA will require their approval to make deals elsewhere - whatever anyone wishes we cant set the clock back to 1974.
    Experts have been pointing out that if we leave the customs union it will add massive complexity to the supply chain of companies that manufacture in the UK - this is just common sense. Even ecomomists in favour of brexit have casually stated for example that brexit will kill off our car industry

Link if you dont believe me

and it wont just be cars - Airbus will go the same way - companies wanting to expand into Europe wont come to the UK anymore - you dont need to be an expert to see that will happen in case we go for a hard brexit - its just common sense.

Note there are experts that I respect that have pointed out it is possible to leave the EU with minimal damage and maybe longer term some benefits - but that required a long term plan over several years taking it one step at a time - triggering Article 50 when even our politicians have no idea what they actually want was just mad,

Statto and M.C.Tyke like this.
  7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The people who are pushing hardest for Brexit are making it increasingly more likely that it will fail. Many of the politicians who were arguing for Norway status two years ago are now saying that is a betrayal of the vote...

Farnham_Red likes this.
  8. Austiniho

I agree with parts of this, but in particular...”triggering Article 50 when even our politicians have no idea what they actually want was just mad”

Our Government have gone into this way too open and too disjointed. The constant squabbling between ministers has ensured that the whole thing is a shambles!

You can’t please everyone all of the time...

Farnham_Red likes this.
  9. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That’s twice you’ve mentioned the millennium bug, you were explained to quite clearly how many millions of businesses spent many millions of pounds ensuring and checking that the things you mentioned didn’t happen. It wasn’t pot luck!

The Brexit shambles is exactly that, poorly thought out and poorly executed. I wonder when the penny will drop.

M.C.Tyke and ScubaTyke like this.
  10. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What the actual ****?

You say some stupid things daily but that is plain ******* moronic.

I suggest you take it off, that isn’t acceptable.

Wow

M.C.Tyke likes this.
  11. Austiniho

I worked on the millennium bug, they spent millions waiting to see what would happen...and having experts waiting... it wasn’t pot luck, there was little threat.

as you can see... the twice you mentioned it doesn’t make you correct...

The parallels I have drawn are the “expert” furore on both sides of the argument...

And until the clock ticked to midnight 2000, no one knew what would happen...

Now tell me again how everyone had spent millions on it to ensure nothing would happen... and how everyone knew at the turn of the century that everything would be alright...

Wonder when the penny will drop that no one knows how this shambles will pan out.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  12. 6ozDave

6ozDave Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fancy. An American company expanding into Ireland... obviously because of Brexit.
    Boeing just opened a factory in South Yorkshire. Idiots.

lk311 and Austiniho like this.
  13. pompey_red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If your company sat around waiting then it was very different to the ones in defence. “No one knew” how it would pan out... but the leave campaign of which I gather you are a supporter quite clearly told everyone how it would pan out, they even labelled the remain campaign “prefect fear” for having the temerity to mention what will happen, intact what is happening as referenced by churton reds post above.

Brexit. People earning millions convincing people earning thousands it’s all the fault of people earning pennies. Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?

14. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    By what logic do you call people idiots?. Brexit makes it less likely overseas companies will open factories in the UK, . It doesnt mean that no companies will do so though. One reason the UK has been more popular than eg France or Germany is its much easier to hire and fire in the UK than most of Europe and the costs of employing staff are lower. Putting obstacles to free trade between the UK and Europe negates much of this benefit - unless the UK makes costs even lower still.

I have a friend who was acting as a consultant for a US company planning to setup a UK operation as a springboard to Europe. After the Brexit vote they cancelled that and started looking at Ireland instead I suspect there are many more similar stories.
    I see one of the Brexit champions James Dyson has just decided to open his new car factory in Singapore which conveniently has just agreed a free trade deal with the EU (which the UK will not benefit from). Good to see he is supporting the British car industry

M.C.Tyke likes this.
  15. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    M.C.Tyke likes this.
  16. Austiniho

I worked for a large multi national bank at the time...

The remain are now telling us how it will pan out. There are lies on both sides... I suggest the reality will be somewhere between the two. And people from both sides will be lined up to say “I told you so”.

Both sides of this debate have been inept, have lied, and have exaggerated for their own gains. If you think that you hold the moral high ground on this, you’re very mistaken.

6ozDave likes this.
  17. 6ozDave

6ozDave Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm suggesting some would think Boeing must be idiots for opening in the UK.

18. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I and many of my peers also worked on the millennium bug however we didn't simply "wait to see what would happen", we created labs and actually modeled what would happen..... huge difference to this brexit approach ......

19. ScubaTyke

ScubaTyke Well-Known Member

Scuba Instructor/IT Consultant/Sailor...
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

20. pompey_red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    There’s no moral high ground because we all suffer. You obviously don’t think we will suffer and that’s fine, that’s for debate and it’s great we are a liberal free society and we can do that, the serious issue however is some don’t care. Some don’t care a jot what happens because it appears to benefit them or It backs up and confirms their bias. Either way morals went out of the window at parliament level a long time ago on this issue.