O/T David Davis...........

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by upthecolliers, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just thought it was funny. Not everything is serious tha knows.

2. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is a world of difference between negotiating business deals and negotiating International treaties. Its like taking a kid who you see score a couple of goals playing five-a-side and putting him straight in the team at Oakwell on Saturday and expecting an hat trick.

I work with and know some very good business negotiators, who can seal deals worth hundreds of millions, but I wouldn't say they were qualified for it either.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  4. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Keir Starmer future leader....god hope not.. doesn't have the personality much like May, tend to fall asleep about every third word that bloke says. I want a leader with a bit of get up n go, with that ready brek glow lol... Can be as dull as dishwater in private but in public, the PM should be able to inspire.. Can't say any of our political leaders currently offer that. A couple of of the young new intakes into the house seem to offer more, you just have to listen to how they come across when raising points etc.. He might have been a pillock but Cameron had something about it that bit of arrogance, wit put him so far ahead of the robots leading leabour post Blair... Likes of milliband, brown etc...

5. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What really beggars belief is the notion that anybody could have a reasoned political debate type thread on here! :(

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Laura Pidcock a shining voice in an ocean of *****.

7. Wat

Wathred Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pity we haven't got the okey cokey party doing the negotiations! We need to take a firm stance and this is where the no deal is better than a bad deal comes in. We must be prepared to walk away as then we can go and negotiate trade deals around the world to offset the impact of leaving the customs union. Better than 'leaving' but still having to pay to effectively stay in and be bound by legislation that prevents us from offsetting the impact of the decision to leave. I was a 'remainer' but now can't wait for us to get out.....I think we should be more reflective of how the EU commissioners have conducted the negotiations.....all they are bothered about is the vasts amount of money the UK contributed. In reality I think the government realises that the EU aren't going to agree to our position and I can understand how our legal challenge on some of our financial commitments will p**s them off and will damage the negotiations, but I honestly believe they have reflected on the leave decision and seen through discussions with other world leaders, that we actually do not need the EU as much as they need us

8. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes.. Stephanie Peacock is also very articulate as well and has that enthusiasm, future front bencher I reckon. Would be good for Barnsley anyway.

9. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    OK sorry.

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like Stephanie though her association with Dugher might taint her a bit going forwards

11. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Maybe but hardly the voice of someone who could unify our broken and divided country...

" Pidcock announced that she would not engage socially with any Conservative MPs as she considers them to "be the enemy" and said that her dislike of them was "visceral"."

12. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    **** me! Parliament debating how much damage brexit will do us and they've just showed May at Lord watching the cricket! Strewth!

13. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A silly story in politics closed season. What she actually meant and has restated that she sees no reason to be friends with tories going for cosy drinks in the strangers bar etc but of course will work with them on areas of Common interest. A refreshing rejection of the 'boys club' mentality that makes people believe that they are all the same.

14. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem with walking away is not so much trade. We will continue to import and export stuff to Europe - although it will cost more. It is not our EU budget commitment either - the chances are that the extra tariff payments received by the EU countries will more than cover that. Services (78% of the UK economy) could be a significant problem that won't be covered by a trade deal.

The problem comes with the other stuff. We walk away and fall out of "Open Skies", and our flights into the EU are extremely limited (IIRC its to/from major international airports only - you will be able to fly from Heathrow to Paris, but not from Doncaster to Paris). The position of cross-channel lorry drivers is another question (will driving qualifications and insurance be valid on both sides of the Channel). Our ability to access, store and process EU citizen data is questionable (GDPR gives the potential for massive (4% of turnover) fines if the UK is not deemed compliant). We also have the question about workers rights - EU citizens living in the UK will still be able to cross-border commute, but UK citizens won't (and their descendants too) - this is particularly relevant in Northern Ireland where anyone can register as Irish and pick up a passport (Ian Paisley Jr has been encouraging it!).

That's just off the top of my head.

On the one hand, I think we should go for the hardest possible Brexit. It is what people wanted and they should realise the consequences of their actions, but on the other hand - should you protect people when they are making a mistake that could affect them for the next 20-30 years. People still voted for Thatcher when she increased unemployment throughout the country by a couple of million. When Brexit goes wrong (and I think it will go badly wrong), the in-fighting and blame could see the end of the Tory party in the UK. I can't see us (best case) getting away without losing at least a million full-time jobs, and with a full-on "No Deal" hard Brexit, the figure could be much higher.

It won't matter to me. By this time next year, my ties to the country will be a lot less and I will be able to speak at least one other language to a decent level. I'm also diversifying my employment portfolio, so should have plenty of options if it looks like it will be as bad as I fear.