Oakwell

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by tyrone1, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Haigh was just an example there are plenty of places near the motorway and I know as well as anyone how hard or easy it is getting in and out of oakwell as I park every game in the main car park. I'm just saying rebuilding away from oakwell is a scenario that any new owners would consider if they are serious about maximising the income of a club getting in to the premier league. I love oakwell.

shed131 likes this.
  2. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's fine It's just an idea and a discussion point, something that any new owner may consider.

3. jud

judith charmers Well-Known Member

Travel advisor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The logistic element at oakwell is not the best but it makes oakwell what it is....a proper football ground tucked away from the hussle and bussell and not one of these pop in grounds near a retail park

4. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But if you don't want to get caught in the traffic around the ground then park up with say a 10 minute walk away from the ground and you should be fine. I live at Stairfoot and it's only a10-15 minute walk or a few minutes bus ride with regular services. If I lived out of Town and had no mobility issues there's no way I'd park anywhere near Oakwell. An out of Town ground would create more traffic as many who don't now use private transport to games would probably resort to It. Also short access road from the new ground to the motorway or to other access roads is likely to be grid-locked anyway. Isn't that the case at Bolton, Donny etc?

5. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I very much doubt there's anything in it, but my immediate first thought was that it could be BMBC digging their heels in and refusing to sell their half, and the investors not wanting to only buy Patrick's half.

Xerxes and GudjonFan like this.
  6. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's great to have oakwell close to town and train / bus stations . If we moved out of town say Haigh etc it wouldn't feel the same .

RichieD likes this.
  7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or the investors wanting to get it for nowt. Would perhaps be negligent of the council not to get full value or as much as they can given the continued constraints they operate under.

8. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would suggest that the oakwell land would have a lot of housing value and there is a housing shortage in this country and any new build housing sites also have to incorporate so many social houses for the council. Oakwell as already mentioned is easy access to the town centre ticks a lot of boxes for an area for housing and it would help bring more people in to the centre to help with the council's ideas for regeneration. Anyway this is all hypothetical and not going to happen. New stadiums dont cost a fortune though to build you could knock up decent 30,000 seater for £15m which is a similar cost to what wolves have paid for a player or what villa pay in wages. As I have said I have over 35 years of going to oakwell and it's a place I love but don't be surprised if any new owners suggest a move.

9. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When the story regarding the possible takeover first broke, if I remember correctly
    the spokesperson for the new Consortium said that they were not planning to pump
    millions into the Club, but would consider funding a tilt at promotion to the Premiership.
    To my mind, that probably indicates that if the takeover does transpire, they will be looking
    for steady, controlled growth and therefore a new or refurbished stadium is not part of the immediate plan.

As far as I am concerned , three significant things have occurred lately that give a strong indication
    that we are not too far away from having new owners. Firstly a reluctance by " anyone" to talk openly
    about what's happening, secondly although it's been denied as a reason, Maurice Watkins leaving and
    finally Patrick Cryne's presence in the East Stand Executive area and not the Directors box at the
    Sunderland game. I'm not a betting man but if I were, I believe that within the next 10-14 days Messrs
    Lee and Conway and Associates will probably own Barnsley Football Club and in doing so will hopefully allay fears
    that they intend to move the Club away from Oakwell.

BobT, Connor and Duntpasstome like this.
  10. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't it relative anyway because any monies raised by the council would only be incorporated in the budget ( constraints) that this govt allow and we all know this govt's attitude to Barnsley council and the like.
    Like this Govt would give Barnsley council or any other council freedom to build to the level of Social housing that is required. What infrastructure around Oakwell would suit such a large building programme like schools for example?

11. Duntpasstome

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is loads of information about what affect affordable housing not social housing as I said earlier has on the economy and any land that is suitable to help increase new housing sites is not only welcome but essential.
    Oakwell is a prime location and a new school in such a scheme is not difficult. Affordable housing getting more people paying in to the banks, rental and local spend is of massive benefit to the area. I'll try to post a suitable link if anyone's interested.

12. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No ones said it's difficult, but rhetoric and action are 2 different things. We desperately need Social housing, it won't be allowed under this current political climate, and if it did it wouldn't have to be Oakwell

13. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I may have dream't this but didn't it come to light at the time Patrick Cryne bought BFC that the club's founders had somehow tied it up such that the land could not be sold off for re-development? I know Patrick sold 50% to the council but I don't think they can do much with it. It seems to make some sense when you consider how many other clubs have sold off the "family silver" at a time of financial crisis. Barnsley have had there share of these over the years but still managed retain full control of the land assets up to the council sell off

14. BobT

BobT Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    and the sale to the Council was to protect the assets.

15. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Regarding Parking. I attempt to park in either the Courthouse or east gate car parks and walk to the ground. With Barnsley Councils intention to put housing on the latter, and the car parks generally being full, I think a new Stadium built on the edge of the borough is the best option, be it Haigh or somewhere else.

16. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Turvey Tyke or some of the good BFC historians could clear this up. I think when BFC originally bought the land that the ground currently sits on there was a deal struck that if it was ever to be used for non-football purposes then the club would have to pay the family who sold them the land money. It was something like an 100 year agreement or until the families 3/4th generation was still alive. John Dennis mentions it in his book.

17. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sacrilege.

18. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree..

If they ever decide to leave Oakwell it'd have to stay in Barnsley.. Haigh and Dodworth are crazy ideas for most home fans to get to

Simon De Montforte likes this.