[Official Site] EARLY BIRD PERIOD EXTENDED

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Suppose that's a matter of semantics. Personally I don't like the punishment pricing structure but I do understand it.

SuperTyke likes this.
  2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah I would say fans now being given a week after the play off final is fine. Even then it's over two months until the new season and so is still an early bird.

3. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The sun's shining for a start.

4. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is how I see the pricing structure of the Early Bird for this season. The pricing model has changed from what the original offering was.

When first introduced, the Early Bird was genuinely a discounted price on the regular ST price, so the post EB pricing was the 'normal' price and taking advantage of the early bird provided a discount on this.

The model has gradually shifted to the Early Bird price representing the 'normal' price for a ST, with the post EB pricing representing an unwarranted 'premium' on top of this resulting in a ticket price that has questionable value. For me, in the East Stand Upper, that difference is £100 this season and the post EB price represents a small saving on purchasing tickets for each game, to the extent that there's little point in buying one if you anticipate missing a couple of games in the season.

The early deadline dates work well when there's a genuine discount to be had on a price that you'd still be willing to pay. My experience of this season, prior to the extension, was that it became a deadline for whether I would renew or not, as there was absolutely zero chance of me paying the artificially inflated price of £559, plus the additional option of a child seat for a child who isn't bothered about attending.

I had already taken the decision that I wasn't going to renew as a result of it. Unlike for many, this wasn't related to Collins' position, and more a result of difficulties which the club have imposed which impact my ability to attend all games. I've now got time to make a more considered decision on this, and with the knowledge of how the season has ended when I make it. I may change my mind on non-renewal as a result of that, but the fundamental fact hasn't changed that there is still zero chance of me paying the 'full' price for a ticket after the deadline expires. It's a premium price that has no justification, rather than a normal price that no longer has a genuine discount applied to it.

Hopefully, the club realises this when it reviews the season ticket sales after they've stopped being sold. If they continue to adopt the same model as this year, then every season going forward is going to involve the same jeopardy as to renewal/non-renewal by a date when the existing season is still ongoing. Additionally, the cost of buying a season ticket, for a non-ST holder, already has an artificial price increase applied to it during the EB period, albeit 'only' £50 rather than £100, so there's already a dis-incentive to return as a former ST holder, once they've decided to not renew.

The end result will be a slow, steady drain of long-standing season ticket holders, with a low incidence of any of them choosing to sign up again at a future date.

Redstone and leeupo like this.
  5. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post.
    It's worth mentioning, though, that the bit I've quoted above is not entirely true. I was pleasantly surprised that this year's early bird offer included allowing anyone who has held a ST in the last 3 seasons to buy at the early bird price. As someone who didn't renew last year, it gave me an opportunity to return to the fold without paying a premium. After some head scratching, I've declined - but I appreciate the offer.

6. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good point, and that's one positive new thing they've introduced this year. I'm not sure if it will remain in future years, but it would reduce the dis-incentive I referred to, if so.

The £50 premium I was referring to only relates to new season ticket purchasers who don't qualify for the above. Based on my viewpoint on what I believe is the 'true' price of a season ticket, this is still a premium applied on that (almost like a joining fee of the type paid to golf clubs, etc).

Happy to be corrected on this @Old Goat, so I appreciate the feedback.

Old Goat likes this.