[Official Site] Hecky: "We want to be the most successful Barnsley team since the year 2000."

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well, I can't lie - that's disappointing to read.

2. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't buy into the opinions that Hecky would walk if he wasn't a fan. The only "evidence" I can use for my own view is the pre season Q&A with Hecky, Cryne and Brown. Regular mention about "the plan", of which Hecky to me has bought into and was fully aware of when he took both the caretaker role and then the permanent head coach job - cost effective recruitment, development and so on. Also understood fully why the likes of Hourihane and Winnall wouldn't sign a further contract.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen us keep the team together until May, just to see what the outcome was, even if it meant forfeiting the transfer fees received. Maybe Hecky thought the same, maybe he has targets lined up that the fees for Hourihane, Winnall and Bree, even if smaller than desired, will go towards covering. I don't know the answer, or what he thinks. We're all speculating.

Pretty much 3 years ago, BFC was on its arse on and off the pitch. I didn't expect us to return to this division as quickly as we did, I really feared for us. That's the context I look at our current situation in. Judged over 3 years since our relegation, and even over the last 16 months, our progress has been beyond belief to me and everyone involved deserves some credit. As disappointing as January's transfer window was, ruining the dream etc, I think judging the state of the club on that basis is harsh.

Extremely Northern and occook like this.
  3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a poor defeatist attitude :( I'm glad our club have a different attitude, because if they hadn't they may as well have closed the club and sell the land to a property developer.

4. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone who can't see what an outstanding job Hecky has done needs their bumps felt. Fortunately I think he's pretty much unanimously appreciated on this board, apart from a bit of implied criticism by Red Rain in some of his more contrarian posts I can't think of anyone who's not hugely in favour of him on here.

5. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bang on. Also don't think Hecky would give a flying **** what any of us say on here!

6. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just a honest opinion. I aint defeatist at all, love my club and 100% behind them, home and away. But taking into account of how football has moved on financially and the disparity of fairness the parachute payments bring, I cant honestly see us ever getting in the premiership again. I suppose what im leading to too is we cant be judged success wise on our closeness to getting into the premiership like other clubs do and constantly sack their managers etc. Were historically a championship club, but with the intervention of the 'greed league' the landscape has changed. Id say now what weve achieved of late is fantastic and Iong may it continue but its going to be hard to even be mid table let alone get promoted. But whats so wrong with that, I left Oakwell Saturday absolutley chuffed with the result (in the end) but more than that, I was proud of the whole club and the fans.
    Id be more than happy to be proved wrong but just being realistic...thats all.

Red CB likes this.
  7. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The thing is that we were just as small 20 years ago and had less clout than the big clubs in the division. Remember West Bromwich, Wolves and Man City were all in our league back then. Looked what happened. You may well be right but dreams can come true. It's that belief that one day we'll have another great season that keeps me going.

8. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its just gone nuts though. Teams like wolves spending 13million on a player and Aston Villa spending more in one season than we have in our history, just mind boggling stuff. Our transfer record signing is still hristov from 20 years ago so that alone tells us were not moving on to keep up, but Im not sure I want us to. I love how we keep defying the critics and continually bounce back. A previous poster said 'its a good job the board dont think like me'. Well judging by what went off in January I would say they do. I just dont want to us to ever risk the whole club by gambling to get back into the 'greed league' and failing, because the only way we are going to do this is gamble on a massive scale, like weve never seen at Oakwell before and it just aint going to happen. But that surely doesent mean we just pack up and stop.
    COYR

Extremely Northern likes this.
  9. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Have you asked them?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk