OH dear! What a ridiculous headline...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    ...either a sad indictment of BBC reporting or society at large which appears to imply that teaching basic social skills is no longer the responsibility of parents (single or otherwise) but the responsibility of the Education system and so their fault if they do not. At the same time others
    accuse the country of becoming a nanny state!

You decide!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54880403

2. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing ridiculous about the headline - unless the entire article is made up. Unless you're implying that Ofsted made it up.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems about in line with what Iexpectined in all honesty. Kids don't appreciate school when they're there in a lot of cases but they miss it's structure and the social interactions.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    KamikazeCo-Pilot likes this.
  4. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And the parents, if some of the instances reported are true.

Redhelen likes this.
  5. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Ridiculous headline for a sensible article

Tekkytyke and churtonred like this.
  6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Seems like a very fair article to me and show just how important school is.

TorontoRed and Redhelen like this.
  7. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If you want ridiculous from the bbc have a look at this.

8. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing ridiculous about reporting just how badly the feckwit's decisions are harming children

pompey_red, Cowboy and Redstone like this.
  9. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    EqwNZspWMAENyOg.jpeg

Redstone likes this.
  10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Why is it a ridiculous headline?
    It’s accurate and relates to the text. There are a group of Children who have severely suffered by missing the educational and social aspects of School. You can blame the parents if you like for not spending the necessary time and effort on their children but it still doesn’t alter the fact the children have suffered or make the headline inaccurate

I often get annoyed by sensationalist headlines which when you read the article clearly are not supported by the evidence. This is not one of those. Some children really are losing those skills

Now you could argue for a different headline but this one looks fine to me.

11. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not at all. You are missing the point. I can fully understand 'hard pressed' parent(s) having less time to develop 3R skills when kids are missing school but using a knife and fork and toilet training? Come on. People eat and sh*t whether we are in lock down or not. I realise, my wording incorrectly implied the headline was untrue but that was not my intention. Yes social interaction is important and quite influential in child development, but, and I am sorry that this may be seen as 'old fashioned', IMO if you have kids, however hard pressed you are, taking time to at least toilet train them, how to use a knife and fork and basic social skills like saying 'please' and 'thank you' should be the absolute minimum duty of a parent.

My wife, a former primary teacher of 37 plus years confirmed ( after I had typed uploaded the OP) that the behaviour and social skills in nursery and primary has deteriorated over the years. An example was a colleague in charge of nursery, used to rule that children could not attend unless they were toilet trained. The LA authority then ruled that they HAD to accept those children with the result that several used to turn up with nappies on which were often soiled during the day. This even extended to some in Primary school whose parents considered it the job of teachers to potty train them. Many used to start school having never having held a knife and fork. Some stood around waiting to be dressed coats on at home time as their parents carried out that task and the children expected the teachers to do it.

As she retired several years ago this is nothing new as it had been evident well before then. The emphasis on the BBC report seemed to be on blaming the lockdowns and school closures for this trend as if it was a relatively new phenomenon hence my view it is misleading. At no point did the BBC article reference those IMO really responsible i.e. parents and by combining the basic social skills with actual learning development which does rely on the education professionals at school with varying levels of parental support (depending on individual circumstances) parents glossed over the fundamental problem

dayglored likes this.
  12. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2.2 million people saw that tweet, just incredibly irresponsible reporting. And the BBC have the audacity to claim they have a specific department to counter misinformation!!

Chef Tyke, Redstone and SuperTyke like this.
  13. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are spectacularly missing the point.

Regardless of whether parents should be the ones instilling these basic skills on kids or not the fact is, and your wife seemingly agrees, that schools ARE the ones teaching the children these. By removing their education Boris IS negatively impacting the kids and they ARE forgetting how to do these basic things.

Blame parents all you want but you admit that schools have been doing this for years so the fact that suddenly kids are forgetting IS a new things, is due to closing schools and therefore is newsworthy.

Redhelen and Farnham_Red like this.
  14. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    So you are in the camp that parents are not responsible for teaching basic social skills (not to be confused with formal education) so it is down to lockdowns and school closures. Fair enough! I do not dispute the loss of skills. I do disagree with the thrust that it is due to lockdowns and closures - read my post 11 for an alternative view.

15. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    So in others words by blaming Government for this deterioration you are in favour of a nanny state which is responsible for every aspect of education and child development. OK!

16. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The BBC are not fit for purpose. As an organisation they are the most ******* dangerous one in the UK right now. Because we are forced to pay for it and the mantra has always been 'the BBC is impartial' people are fooled into believing every word that comes out of their corrupt mouths. In reality they are the most biased and unethical of all the media in the UK right now. Laura kuntsberg quite blatantly broke election law to support Boris Johnson and instead of dismissing her the BBC backed her and pretended she hadn't. When I made a complaint to the BBC the response I got was that they would investigate it AFTER the election. I never received a response after that.

Since then we have had nothing but government soundbites and deliberate misinformation aimed at forcing people to comply with bozos dictatorship and it's bang out of order.

KamikazeCo-Pilot and Cowboy like this.
  17. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reads like a sad indication of how society has developed over the years to me.
    No way would my parents have allowed me to backslide in any of those things, nor would we have let our kids.
    The reading thing is probably even more a sign of the times as much as anything else, I was taught to read at an early age and loved reading, still do. Unfortunately it’s a thing that seems to be getting left behind

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    MiserablePontyEnder likes this.
  18. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2015: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools did.
    2016: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools did.
    2017: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools did.
    2018: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools did.
    2019: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools did.
    2015: parents couldn't/didn't teach these skills. Schools didn't.

Yeah I'd say it's down to school closures

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When a government knows that there is a situation and still makes decisions that harm the children then yes I blame the government.

20. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    defund the BBC. the news page and articles no longer represent any reasonable view

SuperTyke likes this.