Ongoing in or out (Collins)

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by nezbfc, Apr 16, 2024.

1. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm completely in agreement when we have a lack luster performance, or one that we just piss away.and it looks like players isn't give a ****.

On the other hand, we have a performance like tonight. A team sheet that really ought to have had us stuffed against the league champions and we are actually wondering how the hell we've had zero points.

When a team plays like we have tonight, absolutely no way has Collins lost the dressing room. So can we at least wipe that comment out.

If, and as say this as a "out rather than in" fan, a team can play like that without most of it's preferred players, we might likely ought to be really looking at the size versus strength of our squad. Which really points at a higher place than the coach.....

2. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He should have been sacked 10-12 games ago

3. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    all things considered, for me personally the only way I would stick with collins next season is if we get promoted. if we don't get promoted, I think we should be replacing him. however I definitely agree recruitment needs major surgery, regardless. our contracted squad for next season is League 2 standard at best.

4. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just to clarify, this was our league position '10-12 games ago'. 3 points off second spot with 2 games in hand. Are you saying we should have sacked our manager at this point?

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 22.52.55.png

5. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You mean when we were in the middle of a run of one defeat between October and March?

6. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't disagree with that to be honest.
    Out aim was promotion. We have had too many "questionable" performances than not.

But as a club, everything can't be put as Collins fault. Is what I'm saying.

I know the board have a restructuring exercise to do following the blatant splash of cash from the previous regime, and need to stabilise etc, which won't happen over night, but is Collins really at fault for all this season...

I don't know. I'm not happy with how we play, but tonight is exactly what I want to see effort wise (go for it, if we lose, fine, but we had a go). If any of that makes sense

Brian Mahoneys Waist and Connor like this.
  7. Nig

Nigel hambleton Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Deffo needs gone cost us again tonight with defensive subs still not learnt from Bolton game

8. SamBfC90

SamBfC90 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Needs to go.

As a team we have majorly regressed over a short period of time, so much so that there’s little hope of turning it around. Players have also regressed individually, and to say Collins was a defender himself he ought to be ashamed of how he’s managed our defence.

BarnsleyBomber likes this.
  9. rin

ringo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We go in front with half hour to go against the champions elect and try and sit on it, crap

10. Fre

Freddiel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfathomable what’s happened since then.

Sestren and Marc like this.
  11. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Their commentators recognise we didn't do that though.

Remove putting mccart on (and he put Jalo on at exactly the same time I have to add) did he really go defensive?

Wasn't it a case of we just got beat. Rather than throw it away...

12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t really think that matters much.

We have far weaker options in defence than we do in midfield & attack.

Paul Heckingbottom was a defender, you wouldn’t suddenly expect him to turn really poor premier league defenders at Sheff Utd into mid table ones just because he was a defender.

Cowboy likes this.
  13. Marc

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree nothing is as simple as any one thing, and you can never lay all the blame with the manager. But ultimately the buck always stops with them. The style of football I've watched under Collins, for me personally, has been generally really average, in a really really poor League. However in the last 10 games or so - ever since 2nd half against Bolton really - it's just got increasingly worse for me. Whether that's awful performances, tactics or results - often all three.

I wasn't expecting a win tonight, and I thought our overall performance was a lot better. However, in the moments that matter, once again I've seen a manager and group of players that just aren't learning. Whether that's a crazy challenge, a poor defensive substitution or criminal defending from a set piece. And in 8 minutes of injury time I don't recall a single shot on target (I could be wrong on that though). Bottom line is the coach is there to coach a group of players - to improve, have shape, have discipline, adapt to formations, handle pressure, grind out results. I'm personally not seeing anywhere near enough of those things, under Collins.

So yeah, it would be a completely Wednesday thing to sack him after getting promoted - but for me that's the only thing now that keeps him in his job next year.

14. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not a Collins fan at all but we definitely didn’t sit on our lead. Yes we got forced back last 10 minutes but after scoring the second we were constantly on the front foot looking for a third. Best we’ve played in ages and no tippy tappy out from the back. Three more points needed for the play offs but I just can’t see us getting them when we just can’t defend.

Merde Tete likes this.
  15. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Portsmouth are statistically stronger in the last 30 minutes too with nearly 40% of their goals this season coming in that time.
    That suggests they are stronger and fitter than most teams to consistently do this.
    perhaps some credit should go to them too.

16. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    100% this

Jimmy viz and Stephen Dawson like this.
  17. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hope the club are already looking at replacements cos otherwise if we fail to make play offs and then take nearly a month to replace him we would be in a smiliar scenario as last close season and end up playing catch up once again.

Stephen Dawson, nezbfc and Bossman like this.
  18. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I reckon Martin Devaney is polishing his boots ready to step up...

19. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only 10 teams have conceded more than us this season. For a team that's in the top 5 that's very very poor. We've conceded more than 19th placed Cambridge, 15th placed Wigan and only conceded one fewer than Cheltenham who are in the relegation zone.

I defended him early season given a new defense etc. but we are at the back end of the season now and still seeing no improvement at all. No changes in shape or tactics to try and be more solid, still conceding the same sloppy goals each week.

It's not good enough.

Voice of Reason likes this.
  20. Tykeored

Tykeored Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just to keep things in perspective squad wise, since last season Pompey, Derby and Bolton have moved forwards but we have lost Norwood, Thomas, Andersen, Kitching and two goalies. Robert’s has been okay in goal we but we really started to patch up the defence in January with the arrival of Earl and Pines and we then lost the latter after a handful of games. Surely few would ague that Cosgrove is in anyway an adequate replacement for Norwood. I think Collins has made best of what’s been at his disposal. Yes it’s been a tough watch at times this season but given where we are in the in the league I believe Collins deserves much more credit than what he gets.