OT A personal view....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Jan 16, 2020.

1. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Hardly a world of privilege and that's from a boomer born in 1946 before the NHS and who endured 8 years of rationing and with most generally on low pay..

Austiniho, sadbrewer and scarf like this.
  2. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Irrespective of the snowflake argument, it’s undeniable that there are definitely people out there who seem hell bent on taking offence at things that the majority would let go, particularly things that were done or said in all innocence.

Carlycu5tard and Stephen Dawson like this.
  3. La Dent de Crolles

La Dent de Crolles Well-Known Member

Photomask Engineer
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One mans meat is another mans poison.

So because only a few people are offended how they feel doesn't matter?

I am fairly sure that things that offend you and not me and vice versa.

Therefore I believe its highly deniable that folk go out of their way to be offended.

4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The absurdity of that comment is that taken to its logical conclusion, with the rise of social media, on every political, social, religious humorous comment made, there will be someone, somewhere who takes offence.

Most comedy is based on observing and contrasting differences and quirks, often based on regional and national traits. That doesn't automatically make it racist, unless intended. Nevertheless some people will find offence where none was intended.

So what do we do, stop communicating socially with each other? It would be a bland, humourless and disfunctional world if that was to happen.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  5. La Dent de Crolles

La Dent de Crolles Well-Known Member

Photomask Engineer
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Indeed there will likely be somebody offended by every comment that is made.

That doesnt stop communication though , just have to accept that somethings folk say may offend you , and what you say may offend others.

Do you have some accidentally offensive comedic material?

I thought comedy of that type was designed to offend its target and get a reaction no?

6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brilliant post....my uncle died aged 21 at the Dunkirk evacuation.. ..affected my Mam all her life...we can't really understand what it meant for them but their determination gave us a better life which is what they wanted....

KamikazeCo-Pilot likes this.
  7. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Uncanny! How did you know I was a pescatarian?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  8. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In 1977

Burgundy Red likes this.
  9. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that born in 46 maybe you weren't as privileged as I was born in 49. By the time I got to secondary school we had comprehensive education. Prior to this it was secondary modern if you didn't pass the 11+ and they were abysmal. Nevertheless privilege is a relative term. We were privileged compared to the generation that went before.
    We were the first generation with a health service and it was much more common for people to go to university, we had steady jobs and full employment. There was affordable council housing and it was much more possible to own your own home. We never had to fight in a European war and although unionisation is vilified workers had a say in what they did and the contracts they worked under.
    We weren't the last generation to enjoy many of these benefits, so whether we were more privileged than those who came after is arguable. My brother was 14 years younger and I thought he had more opportunity than I had.
    All of these privileges were earned by our parents sacrifice and maybe privilege isn't the right word and some of us didn't see them, or take advantage of them.

10. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you're wrong to say we were the most privileged generation ever. In my mind every generation is more privileged than the previous one. I was born in the 50's and I wouldn't say it was easy for us.
    We had no car, no phone, no fridge, no holidays, no toothpaste, only got new clothes at Whitsuntide, got bugger all for Christmas. Hardly anyone owned their own home. There were obviously richer families who could afford things like that but they were few and far between. Hardly anyone went to university because you had to be subsidised by your parents, hence they tended to be rich kids who went to uni. There were kids with calipers on who'd had polio and two of my school friends died before they were 15. My first holiday was when I was 18 and my first holiday abroad was when I was 21. Yes it was easier to get a job and the pension schemes at that time made money hand over fist till the government decided it would be good to cream off a load of tax. I wanted to better myself so studied on day release (all paid for by my company so not really free). I got a good qualification, a good job but still had bugger all when I was married with two kids. It was only in later life when the kids left home and the mortgage (14% interest when we started) was paid off that I reaped the benefits of my work so I wouldn't say it was easy.
    As you say, the previous generation had a tougher time and the Victorians had it tougher than them.
    I know there are a minority of kids these days who get nothing, there always has been, but the majority have mobile phones, cars, computers, have decent holidays etc. They don't have the company pension schemes that we had and house prices have been artificially inflated due to banks letting you borrow too much but in general I'd say they're more privileged than the previous generation and the generation before that.

tosh likes this.
  11. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with pretty well everything in your post but would like to add one slight difference between previous generation gaps and this one. My generation (born in the 50s) has known for 30 years that the planet's global climate is being affected dramatically by human activity and will cause untold problems for future generations including the snowflakes, and has largely chosen to shrug it's shoulders and do little or nothing. Evidence the number of gas-guzzling 4x4 vehicles mostly driven by men in their 60s.

12. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    F**k off grandad.

13. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with most of that. I never said it was easy, I was educated through day release as well. I am grateful to my parents and their generation for giving us the opportunities that they did. I think we are the most privileged generation up until our time.
    I wouldn’t say that the Victorians were more privileged than the Georgians, or the Edwardians than the Victorians. I think what we witnessed was a step change in social development for the average person. I also think that the Tories have been trying to wind it back ever since.
    It’s a personal view, but I think it’s harder for young people now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    t'owd man likes this.
  14. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    This, from the person that used the phrase 'Boomer' vs 'Snowflake' in his opening post.

15. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Says the person backing many policies that hurt the very people he's appealing to.

Self reflection dies with age. Apparently.

TitusMagee likes this.
  16. David_Upper_East

David_Upper_East Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Philip Larkin

17. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    A very interesting thread and some observant comments by thoughtful posters.
    Just to add a little...
    There are some very broad generalizations here which may represent an over simplification.
    One or two people also mentioned generational views about music taste. On this one can I state categorically and irrefutably that rap music is utter shi.te? It just is. It's as irrefutable as the fact that brexit will solve all problems.

Good thread though thanks to op and contributors. May your god go with you.

Simon De Montforte likes this.
  18. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Take it you have never seen.... Peter Kaye ("...put t'big light on''" ) or Kevin Bridges, the latter whose comedy often revolves around Glasgow given he comes from there. Also people like Nish Kumar (if you consider him funny which personally I do not) uses race as does Reginald D Hunter both use it ironically.
    Most comedy is observational and since it always involves people and situations then I don't see what you are getting at. even jokes about animals probably offends someone somewhere.

19. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I have a 4x4 and am in my 60's although it is relatively economical fule consumption wise gas guzzling especially as I do relatively low mileage.(46k in 8 years from new).Lliving in a hilly and mountainous rural area where we get snow and ice a 4x4 is pretty much essential, although I do agree people doing school runs in huge BMW 4x4s and Porsche Cayennes etc in towns and cities is just for show.

20. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I trust that was a (weak attempt) at humour