OT Just read on a twitter

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by LiverpoolRed, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure where I've contradicted myself? If you have a link for that o'hara interview that would be interesting to hear. However, I would argue football goes beyond the dressing room. Do you not find it strange that we are aware of many straight footballers through photos with partners on Instagram etc. yet we are not aware of one gay footballer? Started off as a decent discussion this but feel it's now going round in circles.

2. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's great but 99% .... you'd be surprised. Plenty of stories about people being disowned

3. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wasn't my intention when first posted - the responses on the tweet were all positive just wondered how people felt as fans

4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  5. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think it was a good post mate and worth bringing to people's attention. I can see why people think it shouldn't be an issue but to me the fact that people still have to 'come out' means it is.

6. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks - that was the poster I was referring to. Seems he still feels it an issue after reading that

Kettlewell likes this.
  7. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Misheard. I think he said nonce Tory.

8. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't help the situation when our own Government is in bed with a party who are anti gay.. Objecting to same sex marriage for one..
    Smacks of double standards... Discrimination at the highest level... Is there any wonder that folk who are gay are frightened to come out..
    Some years ago I worked with a person who was transgender (man to woman)... I lost count of the amount of both men and woman who referred to the lady as him..and weren't very complimentary when phoning up.. I can guarantee there wasn't a week went by whereby one of us in the office had either an argument or had to put some one in there place because of their attitude and discrimination towards her... The best part of it the lady in question was in fact trying her best to do their appeals to get their disability payments reinstated... You couldn't make it up if you tried
    Having witnessed the amount of abuse and heard horror stories of incidents that she and my gay friends have had to endure I would say for everyone of us in Barnsley who are ok with the situation there's 3 if not 4 knuckle draggers out there who are bigots and anti gay and give the town a bad press

Red-Taff., Mr C, Kettlewell and 3 others like this.
  9. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds quite an articulate bloke. Surely some of his team mates might already have suspected? ( all the gays I went to school with were hardly surprise revelations for instance)

10. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spent the week in London. Here mainly for the Tennis tomorrow but went to Pride on Saturday. What a life affirming event that was. Coming from Barnsley i’ve never exactly been pro police but when I saw the Met Police LGBT section in the parade, followed by the London Firefighters, I was struggling to contain the emotion. To be openly ‘out’ in those organisations! Now that takes real courage. It may well be the same for the footballer, though I hope not.
    One last thing. Pride had a bit of politics around it (how can it not) but it was really just a celebration of humanity and, an extraordinary level of piss up! Enjoyed it hugely.

ScubaTyke, Mr C, Kettlewell and 3 others like this.
  11. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolute nonsense,total wind up,why would any footballer put all this rubbish on Twitter,social media makes me laugh,everyone just believes everything,if a player comes out before season starts then it will amaze me,it’s just some sad act ,making up an account and chatting bullhsit

ubique_tyke likes this.
  12. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I doubt it is a genuine account but if it is then that is fantastic. Hope they get the support they need from all parties.

MappRed and John Peachy like this.
  13. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes ,even though like you I don’t for one minute think it’s genuine,great to see all the support from everyone on here saying who cares if we have a gay player ,just to add my penneth on the gay issue ,live and let live is my motto

shed131 likes this.
  14. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love is love no matter the subject matter...

Austiniho likes this.
  15. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And most of Africa. And large parts of Asia.

Mr C likes this.
  16. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Its a shame Pride has been hijacked by the politics and to a lesser extent the deviants.

17. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Am probably being optimistic in this but wouldn't it be good if all the gay footballers in all the leagues came out on the same day in support of each other...anybody who's swayed by the fan chants is deluded as to just how vicious opposition fans can be, ..
    Monkey chants at opposition black players when ya have ya own black players shows just how stupid these morons actually are.
    Having worked with people of all persuasions I think the young man in question may find most of his clubmates are already aware, I was genuinely touched when a work colleague plucked up courage to tell me he was gay as we were good mates at work, his surprise when I told him I'd already worked that out made us both laff….

Mr C, Austiniho and Merde Tete like this.
  18. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its probably a spoof account in this case though I suppose it could be genuine I suppose. But irrespective of that it is clearly a problem in the game that gay players have to hide. Its not so much the "coming out" but the fact that should they have a partner for example they have to keep it hidden
    As said above in this thread 99% of us really don't care - It wouldn't matter to me in the slightest if it turns out that we have a gay player any more than it bothers me if we have a black player or even a ginger one. For me the 2 things that matter are is he any good and is he generally a decent person. In fact in my general experience, on average gay people tend to be nicer than straight ones - though there are exceptions of course.

19. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been reading an article about the USA's co- captain Megan Rapinoe on the BBC Sport website.

Actively working to bring about equal pay for women, she is totally against the oppression of blacks in
    the States, refuses to sing the National Anthem because she's not happy with the way Donald
    Trump is running the country and along with her partner, openly campaigns over LGBT rights.

After yesterday's 2-1 World Cup win against the Netherlands, she shouted " Go Gays."
    Like many other female footballers, not that it should matter of course, she is quite open about
    her sexuality. I can understand why, but it seems such a shame that her male counterparts in the
    game feel unable to come out and live their lives how they would really like to.

20. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    According to statistical estimates, we are likely to already have at least one gay player - in 2017, official government figures put it at ~6.8% of the population. In 2014, the equivalent statistics reckoned it was ~5.6%, so the figure is steadily increasing - although at some point it will have to stop rising otherwise in ~200 years the entire country will be gay (not that it would be a bad thing).

However, if statistical trends continue as they have been, we'll be a nation of gay, Muslim, Elvis impersonators sometime in the 23rd century.