Other than watching the Reds......

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to two of those !!!
    West Ham at Hillsboro after the World Cup to see Peters, Moore and Hurst.
    Also at the 4-0 Sheffield game - which goes down in history as the Boxing Day Massacre.
    The Terry Curran game - when he played for Wednesday.

Marlon and Donny Red like this.
  2. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I have too many to mention, but here goes a recap off the top of my head:

Manchester United 6-0 Newcastle United: United ran riot, Ronaldo scored a hattrick and I got to see Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Giggs and Carrick absolutely annihilate Newcastle.

Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Stood in the away end with my German mates and the atmosphere was just incredible:

Atletico Madrid 0-3 Real Madrid: First visit to the amazing Vicente Calderon Stadium. Saw a Ronaldo hattrick for the 2nd time.

AC Milan 1-2 Napoli - Always wanted to visit the San Siro and finally ticked it off the list. Incredible stadium.

Feyenoord 2-0 Groningen: Another stadium ticked off the list, and an amazing day out in Rotterdam, Feyenoord fans are just nuts.

Hessen Kassel 1-0 Kickers Offenbach: Only Regionalliga in Germany, but a big rivalry between these two after Offenbachers stole some flags from Kassel a long time ago. Just your average run of the mill derby until about 20 minutes in to the game, the away fans revealed a banner which said something along the lines of "Your flags look better underneath us" - Cue the first riot, fans trying to storm the away end, fighting with riot police, etc. The game was abandoned 3 times, until finally, in about the 107th and final minute, Hessen Kassel scrambled the ball home to win the game, and in the process managed to knock out the Offenbach keeper too.

Donny Red likes this.
  3. jjs

jjsmiff Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Went to Hillsboro to see Weds v Forest
    Forest won 7-1. Collymore scored 4 on the day. he was the best player I have ever seen playing live. totally unplayable on the day

Donny Red likes this.
  4. Cumbrian_Tyke

Cumbrian_Tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to Carlisle v Plymouth where Jimmy Glass (GK) scored to keep Carlisle in the League. Fantastic day to be a part of.

Donny Red and LDRed like this.
  5. dartonpete

dartonpete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I ended up at West Brom V Leeds on a freebie when they were relegated in 1981 from the then division 1, remembered only for them pulling the fence down. I was laughing my ******** off to be honest, but didnt show it for obvious reasons!

Donny Red likes this.
  6. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lass who worked with me in Donny if you mentioned her team Fev would say " Ger it ovver Cyril"
    Haven't a clue what she was talking about.!

Marlon likes this.
  7. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Worked with a lad from Elmsall Derek Clayton around 1979 at Donny Council. Always trying to get me
    to go and watch Frickley. I used to pull his leg and say " they don't come and see me when I'm bad."!
    He followed them home and away. When I moved to this area in 1987 I heard that sadly Derek had died. He was a great lad
    and a true Frickley fanatic.

Also In the late 80's I also met one of Frickleys longest servants Gary Hatto who worked at the same place as me.
    In total I think he played 14 seasons for the Westfield Lane outfit. He also played for two seasons under the legendary Ronnie
    Glavin at Emley which must have been brilliant.

If they had won on the Saturday he'd give you a blow by blow account and re-enact how he'd scored but if you asked how they'd got on and he shook his head from side to side you knew it might be best to just walk away.!
    Another absolutely great lad was Gary.

8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Having checked their Wiki page, I'm already in love with Hessen Kassel as:

Their away kit looks very similar to our 1986-88 Sandal Bayern strip.
    Their only modern era international plays for Afghanistan.
    Their ex-manager is called Hoffmeister.

By the way, what level on the pyramid are they and what's the standard like? I notice they have a pretty big stadium. Do they get close to filling it for regular league games?

Donny Red likes this.
  9. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been to watch Everton a dozen or so times. I can also sometimes be seen wearing an Everton shirt. Plenty of good games. 5-2 defeat of Wednesday at Hillsborough in 96. Watching Rooney score a last minute winner with a volley at the Gwladys Street End over Villa in 2003, or Big Dunc rescue a point with a rebound from his own penalty in a 2-2 draw with West Brom.

I have to admit I travelled to Goodison to watch our 4-2 defeat in the Prem and I was sat in the Everton end. I've never felt so wrong in my entire life.

Donny Red likes this.
  10. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chesterfield v mansfield. Think it was the last season at saltergate.

Fa cup 2008/9.

One of if not the best atmospheres ive ever stood in.

This wasnt just local rivalry but lines drawn during the 80s.

It was mental.

Donny Red likes this.
  11. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Hessenliga is 5th or 6th level. Not the best standard of football but it throws up some interesting games! They're lucky if they have 2,000 at home games, I think the stadium holds 18,000(?)

They're starting this season in minus 9 points due to financial troubles.

Donny Red likes this.
  12. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Two stand out games for me:
    Second place:

Swillsborough 19th July 1966. World Cup Group 4.
    Argentina 2 v Switzerland 0
    Antonio Rattin played like an animal in that game and it was no surprise to me when he got sent off
    against England at Wembley in the Quarter final.Memorable simply because it was the World Cup and the first time I ever saw "live" a player execute an overhead bicycle kick.!

And in First place- Wembley Stadium Monday 25 th May 2009.
    My sons mate is a Burnley fan and at the last minute his Dad and two others couldn't get to the Play off final against Sheffield United so he asked if we'd like to go with him. We parked at Amersham Station and got a train direct to Wembley along with
    hordes of very high spirited and confident Unitedites i.e it's only Burnley ffs.

At 3.13 pm Wade Elliott drew his boot back and exploded the ball beyond United's keeper. Unbridled joy.!
    Prior to the game Uniteds then manager Blackwell had criticised the selection of Mike Dean as the referee.
    Brian Howard was tripped in the box by Graham Alexander and you could have shaved with foam from Blackies mouth
    when Dean waved appeals for a penalty away. What did he expect.? Cupid stunt.!

The joy didn't end there. A player who had resisted our attempts to sign him from Chesterfield Jamie Ward , was
    also dismissed with eleven to go for his second crude attempt at playing basketball. !

The train trip back to Amersham was also an absolute joyous occasion. A carriage full of Unitedites with faces like a smacked ar*e all critical to a man of their line up and how they'd played that day. It was absolutely hilarious.

We decided to get a Sub from the shop across from the Station and went into a nearby beer garden and enjoyed a couple of pints. We almost overdosed on abject misery for a good hour.... it was brilliant.!
    Felt like asking what they take to Wembley and never use.? I don't think the answer Red and white ribbons would have
    gone down too well so I didn't bother.

In 2000 on our way back North following our loss to Ipswich in the plays offs, Blunt fans had strung a banner across a bridge on the M1 reading " Hard luck Dingles" with their badge at either side. Remember also in the November of 2008 one of our players was left with life threatening injuries when one of their players elbowed him "prior" to a challenge.

To see him lying prostrate and inconsolable on the turf at Wembley at the final whistle atoned for that banner
    as did Wade Elliott who gave their team, management and supporters the " collective elbow " all at the same time
    on a day that will live in my memory forever. It was truly payback time big style.!

Beercrate likes this.
  13. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Was that the one where he went up for the last corner in injury time

14. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watched an excellent Czech Republic side beat Italy during Euro 96 at Anfield. Different sort of atmosphere, not intense, but great fun. Czech side had Nedved, Poborksy, Berger and Slicer playing. But the standout player was Radek Bejbel. Played like a blond Redfearn, ran the game. Not sure if he ever played for an elite side.

Following day was spent in Leeds, drinking while watching England v Scotland and then to Elland Road to watch France v Spain. Met a great group of French supporters. Poor game really considering the quality players on show, but you could see the early stages of the great French side coming together. Zinedine Zidane just class.

Donny Red likes this.
  15. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not a game I went to personally but Hillsborough 1996 my mate lived in Wales and he came up for weekend to get some tickets for European cup game of Denmark v Turkey as his missus was Danish and his in-laws were flying over for a few games
    Didn't see him for a few weeks just a few quick emails but when next he came up I asked him if he enjoyed the game and he started laughing and and told me this story

In laws came over and they made their way to Sheffield for the match , they had brought over numerous team shirts ,flags scarves etc they all had their faces painted and all had those red and white jesters hats .
    When they got into stadium they found out they'd got tickets for the Turkish end as it just said name of stand on tickets.
    He said the look on the in-laws faces staring at him could have melted skin .
    Being the character my mate was ( god bless him ) he soon got the banter going with the Turks starting mexican waves etc.
    He said it took an age getting out of the stadium with the Turkish fans hugging them and in laws ended having an absolute smashing day with photos galore.
    PS
    he was a Barnsley lad and a massive reds fan.
    PPS
    they weren't jesters hats they were them viking hats with horns on.
    Sos metatarsal I did t know if highlighted your thread it was supposed to be a general one.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Donny Red and Metatarsal like this.
  16. Cumbrian_Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the one, superb!

Donny Red likes this.
  17. Cumbrian_Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Donny Red likes this.
  18. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Saw Feyenoord v Breda in a Cup match early 90's, 90-92 at a guess. Likewise a mad day out in Rotterdam and all I remember is Feyenoord won 2-1, fortunately, as up to last year I would say they were the caziest fans I'd witnessed. Think they went on to win the cup that year.

However, was on a city break wi the mrs in Prague last Sept and discovered one morning that Sparta were playing Inter that night in the Europa cup, tickets still available and £25ish. Ground capacity 19k, there were just over 14k there on the night so similar to Oakwell on a good day.......and there the similarity ends! My first match in an east euro country.
    Mental, bonkers, crazies doesn't come close, friggin terrifying in an adrenalin rush jumpin out of a plane way, absolute loons. What an atmosphere, they won 3-1, Inter had a man sent off and I could still smell the fireworks a day later. What it would be like packed on a Prague derby day don't bare thinkin about.
    Only downside, the mrs now refuses point blank to do any football on hols, think she still suffers flashbacks from the trauma

Donny Red likes this.
  19. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    My friend is a season ticket holder at Feyenoord, so always bugging her for tickets :D

They even have a rave at half time in a small room under the stand, it's just bizarre. Mental but also very friendly.

Eastern Europeans are just something else, very passionate and love their pyro! Sometimes, it's not for the faint hearted :)

Donny Red likes this.
  20. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The 'infamous' Leeds v man city match in the 70s when Corrigan got clouted in the nets.
    Outside was utter mayhem too.
    My dad's fault, he was a football fan and would take me anywhere to watch a match if barnsley weren't playing.

Donny Red likes this.