Our best and worse Loan players

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Redz!, Nov 15, 2013.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Best OGrady, Hammill, Curtis

Worst Deon Burton, John Oster, Nouble (though he redeemed himself scoring for Grimsby v Wolves), Eckersley and Jones from Man U

2. Whi

Whitey Guest

Forgot about Leon Knight. Wow he was gash.

Maddison was decent. He's a top bloke as well. Great at giving me advice on weather.

3. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone remember a goalkeeper we had on loan called Jake Findlay? He was shocking

Adam Eckersley

Leon Knight

Vito Mannone

Daniel Jones

Deon Burton

Diego Arismendi

Nile Ranger

All poor n heartless

Michael Chopra

Kieran Trippier

Adam Hammill

Chris O'Grady

John Curtis

Worthy mentions

4. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can anyone answer this-

Why during our one season in the premier league did we not make a loan signing?

5. Pas

Pasta Banned Idiot

Home Page:
    I can remember Jake Findlay.....I'm sure he did save a pen for us into Ponte End?

6. sta

starbreaker Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with those except for Molby ..... I thought he was well passed it ...far too slow IMO

7. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    O'Grady better than Redfearn and John. Curtis 'by a country mile'? Right oh.

8. sta

starbreaker Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For some reason I don't remember Refearn being a loan signing .... My memory (prob wrong) is redfearn signing with er was it Charlie bishop butler bullimore graham and rimmer.

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redfearn initially came on a month's loan, September 1991, before signing for £180 000. Bullimore & Rimmer signed during the 1990/91 season. Bishop, Butler & Graham came in during the 1991 close season, with Rimmer leaving during the same period to Chester.

10. Pas

Pasta Banned Idiot

Home Page:
    You wouldn't want a Rimmer in the dressing room though.......would yer?

11. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seeing one or two wrestlers covering themselves in oil in the dressing room unnerved me a bit.:D

12. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You loved it, so much so you went down to Asda to get a case yourself !!

13. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's true, mate. Well, Crystal went for it. You know I don't do shopping!:D Johnson's Baby Oil. Takes bloody ages to wash off!:D

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You're not wrong in a way but sone of the things he could still do with a football beautiful.

15. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Best - Anderson de Silva

Worst - David Fox

16. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It doesn't really matter how **** any other player is or has been, no one will ever be a worse loan singing than Deon Burton simply because of his attitute. I recall reading that he was sent to Barnsley by Derby because of an attitude problem - he was starting to become Billy Big B0llocks. He came to Barnsley and treated it like a punishment - he actually looked like a kid with his lip out.

I actually, to a large extent, blame the manager for playing him as well because if I had been in charge he'd have been off the pitch after 10 minutes and told to **** off back to Derby and never darken our door again - his attitute was disrespectful. We've had many **** loan players over the years but we've never had another player that made it look so obvious that he thought we were beneath him.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Everything you've said there is absolutely bang on mate, except there was another player that came with exactly the same attitude and that was Richard Naylor. The difference for me was that Burton only played three games and was hauled off early in the second half in two of them, while Richard Naylor played 8 times and walked about the pitch sulking, while we got relegated.

Hendrie had very little choice but to play Burton. He'd started the season with a wealth of strikers: Ward, Fjortoft, Hristov, Liddle and himself. For the first time in our history we probably had the best choice of strikers in the division. By the time we reached December, Ward, Fjortoft and Liddle had been sold, Hristov was out for the entire season with injury and Hendrie himself had a persistent niggle so he couldn't play. We'd brought in Bruce Dyer, but for the Watford away game he'd also picked up a knock. Hendrie was desperate and went in to the loan market for anyone he could get.

We started that Watford game with Karl Rose and Deon Burton up front. Rose was inured during the game and we brought on Paul Bagshaw for his one and only Barnsley appearance. I don't think Hendrie thought either of these two lads were up to it, they both had careers in non-league football, but he'd got nowt else. We came away from Watford with a creditable 0-0 draw.

The next game was away at Ipswich. Dyer was rushed back and again we had to play Burton. Despite Dyer being obviously unfit, Hendrie chose to substitute Burton and bring on Mike Turner. We'd picked up Mike Turner after he'd completed his university degree. We'd just taken a chance on him. This wasn't just his first professional game, he'd never played any youth football with any recognised team, he'd no history in non-league football, he'd just played for his school and university. The rest of the game has taken on a kind of legendary status. Not long after Turner came on Sean McClare put us 1-0 up. Then, with 90 minutes on the clock, Turner scored a fantastic individual goal. His only goal for the club and his only goal in the football league!

Burton certainly hadn't pulled up any trees so far, but it was the next game that sealed his reputation as one of the worst ever Barnsley players. We lost 3-1 at home to Swindon and although it wasn't the worst Barnsley performance I've ever seen, there was a 15 minute period midway through the first half that was as bad as it can ever get. We were 3-0 down by the time the game was 30 minutes old and although many of our team were well off the pace that day (Dyer, for instance, still looked completely unfit) it was Burton who took all the abuse. Quite rightly, he strolled about like he didn't give a ****, which he didn't. Hendrie hauled him off early in the second half and he never played for us again. I don't think Hendrie ever wanted Burton, he certainly didn't want to play him once he'd seen him, but he just didn't have any options.

Don Goodman was signed on loan for the next game but we continued to struggle for strikers as Dyer was finding it difficult to shake off the injury. Various combinations of Rose, Turner and Goodman were used and we even tried Marcelle and Bullock up front in one game. Eventually we got Mike Sheron and settled on the Sheron/Dyer strike force. It was far from perfect, but at least it was two proper strikers. December 98 and January 99 remain, for me, the worst 2 months in our history for strike partnerships.

It was a different situation with Richard Naylor. We had Sheron and Dyer. We also had Isaiah 'nobhead' Rankin if we were really desperate. Parkin brought in Naylor and started him in 7 games, and brought him on as sub in another in the 8 games up to and including that infamous Norwich game. He didn't score a goal, he hardly won a header, he didn't even run and certainly never broke sweat. He scratched his arse and whistled a merry tune while we were relegated. There were problems all over the field with that team. Not only were we *****, but there was a proper attitude problem throughout the squad. Not a good combination. The last thing we needed was to bring in a lazy good for nothing arsehole like Richard Naylor.

Ipswich converted him to a defender not long after that loan stint with us. Hardly surprising as he couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. What was Steve Parkin doing when we were in a relegation scrap, desperate for goals and he dropped one or the other of Sheron or Dyer, both of whom finished their careers with well over 100 goals, for useless lump like Naylor?

Deon Burton was ***** and everything you've said about him is true, but it only really lasted an hour in one home game. Naylor was taking the piss out of us for the best part of two months.

18. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Ferenczi was our player

Rajczi was on loan

19. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Maceo Rigters

Came with so much promise

And was utter gash.

Paul Warhurst was pretty bad too. He looked like a red card waiting to happen all the time, and didn't he get sent off against Wednesday? I think it was his debut too.

20. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You mean Kyel Reid? He wasn't that bad, was a bit surprised that we didn't sign him after his trial, him and Vaz Te both looked the business.