Paddy Power have the best marketing team in the world.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by On yer tyke, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to work with a lot of Townies. One or two of them could have done with a sense of
    humour transplant. One thing we have in common with them though, is a passionate dislike
    of Leeds United which is no bad thing.

2. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

3. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How so?
    Im only telling you what they’re telling me. Even their new CEO has had to make numerous apologies to fans. Fans pretty much knew it was a stunt from the off, but didn’t like their club being used as a pawn in the Paddy power publicity machine.
    Obviously some think it’s genius, but there’s plenty that think its just a crap way of going about things.

4. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The ridiculous thing is getting annoyed and upset about something that's clearly benefitted the club (national exposure, no shirt sponsor).

5. George Kerr

George Kerr Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like tobacco and alcohol, betting should be banned from advertising in sport.

6. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't see why they are though. The shirt posted here recently was obviously a stunt as - if it were possible to have a logo that big, why doesn't every football club in the land, and 2) it's that particular company that are known for it. Or am I missing something?

7. TonyTyke

TonyTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And it's all overpriced stuff. (I was going to say crap, but I shall refrain).

8. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not sure we as Barnsley fans are in a position to tell Huddersfield Town fans how they should feel - but if you take a look at their board they are very divided about it. I'm not sure I'd call that genius marketing as far as HTAFC goes. For Paddy Power it's definitely job done. I think that's why some (not all) are upset - they've been used. To honest, I don't care. As soon as I saw it I said it was a wind up. I just thought it was a bit naff.

Out of interest, years ago, Arsenal turned out in an unsponsored shirt, with a green circle. No announcement. After the game, media went into overdrive asking what had happened. The sponsor at the time said they'd donated their sponsorship to the NSPCC full stop campaign. It generated far more publicity for the sponsor than actually sponsoring the shirt. Just a better way to go about things?

As for the shirt being the best in the league as someone else has suggested. Logo or not, it's still a blue and white striped shirt = horrible!

9. 36 Chambers

36 Chambers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You can already buy a West Ham shirt without the sponsors on so it's not completely unique as they claim (think that might have something to do with their sponsor being a betting company and the local Muslims not being able to buy that version).

10. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All clubs who have betting company’s their junior kits don’t have a sponsor for obvious reasons, but I believe these clubs also offer the option to adults too.

I know Celtic do.

11. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just wait until the "updates" to the software get to the point where your phone's hardware is inadequate and it grinds to a halt and burns through the battery. Planned obsolescence means upgrading becomes a requirement rather than a decision

12. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It’s not necessarily planned obsolescence, but I’m not saying it’s not slightly.

The simple fact is that phone hardware from even 3 years ago (for example) is a lot worse than the newest phones. It’s a simple fact that older phones can’t handle the newest features, as they require faster processors, more memory, better cameras, more accurate sensors etc.

So Apple (and other manufacturers, for that matter) are left with a choice of disabling new features for older phones, having the new features slow the phones down somewhat, or just not releasing the update for that model. There’s no right answer, and people would complain no matter what they did.