Paradise Papers: Queen's estate invested millions of pounds offshore

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by RedKestrel, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Queen and her estate didn't earn anything she owns by means we'd recognise as legitimate. Ergo all funds she invests or receives are illegitimate.

Redstar likes this.
  2. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good riddance.

Redstar and upthecolliers like this.
  3. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Does that make it ok though? Just because we know it's happening it should be accepted?

If people can't get outraged about wealth being increasingly concentrated in the hands of the view, and the ongoing inability of governments to stop this, then society is pretty much knackered.

RedKestrel likes this.
  4. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How much money do individuals or corporations deem to be "enough"?

We live in an age where 'success = profit'. And the more profit the more successful and admired you are. The fact is that those profits are useless. It's money in various forms sat about not being reinvested in areas of the world or the countries where the tax should have been paid. It could revolutionise socieities and in some cases entire countries. Nike and Apple not paying tax could provide homes, water, sanitation, food, solar power etc. etc. Instead the only thing it affects is their share price. What's needed isnt really better tax laws (although if they wont cough it up then they should be used), what's needed is a change in the way we view money and its useage.

And it will come. And people will look back on a new create way of investing those massive profits as normal and look back in horror at the way individuals and organisations made money for the sake of simply making more money.

TL/DR; Greed will die.

5. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have not seen anything yet that most self employed people dont do

6. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That Harvey Barnes goal against Wednesday though.

Stahlrost likes this.
  7. Wat

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You see all those people complaining are just bitter and jealous. For example, if only 90% of Americans would get off their lazy backsides they could be as rich as the 0.1% who have as much wealth as them. It's pure laziness. Those rich people should take more and more until those 90% have nothing at all. That'll teach 'em.

/sarcasm.

[​IMG]

8. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I didn't start the thread so why target my reply (or is it you disgree with my view but cannot formulate a coherent response)?

9. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark

Try reading this before further demonstrating your ignorance and prejudices...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate

manxtyke likes this.
  10. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Manna from heaven though. I don't get involved in political threads as it is a complete and utter waste of time. I don't like a lot of your opinions but I would say you were entitled to them if these things you spout about actually affected you. The main thing is, I just don't understand why you come on a board such as this and see it purely as a platform for your political views. Do you not have anything to say about Barnsley Football Club or even football in general?

11. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Ah! Thanks for confirming my decision to get as far away from people like you was the correct one! Try addressing the points in a constructive manner rather than resorting to the predictable personal insult, if that is possible, which , I suspect, you are incapable of.

12. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Like I said, I didn't start this thread, and so unclear as to why you have directed this solely at me. There are others who regularly post on politics (the OP on this thread for example) so perhaps you sympathise with their views more and don't see that they do the same. On many occasions I have not been the OP and merely added my 'three 'apeth worth' as I feel I can occasionally offer a different perspective from afar living, as I do, in Italy.
    As regards things not affecting me. They dont have any impact on or influence over others posting on this thread, or more to the point they cannot have any impact on changing things. All the posts on here, footy or non footy, are just places to let off steam. In that respect I do agree with you that they are pretty much a waste of time as most people minds are made up already. I do sometimes comment on BFC but not being in a position to actually attend the games, I am a passive viewer of footy posts and not able to contribute to the argument.
    I do have family in the UK though so to say domestic politics are nothing to do with me is not true.

13. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What??!

14. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seems to be the usual one rule for the rich and one for everyone else... if they weren't rich they'd be in jail.
    If they don't wanna pay taxes to the country they should leave/ give up their citizenship ..

15. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    All the examples given by the Guardian, and BBC, have been perfectly legal (if not unethical in some cases) Therefore your assertion that they would be in prison if they were not rich is utter nonsense.

Incidentally, contrary to Corbyn's comments, the rules in this instance, are the same whether you are rich or poor. It is just that the majority like us are not rich enough to be able to employ an army of legal eagles and accountants to maximise our investment income and minimise our tax liabilities. Most, if not all, self employed do exactly the same to a lesser degree. Even with these tax efficient plans, most of these people e.g. Lewis Hamilton pay more into the UK Treasury coffers in a year than you will in your's and mine entire lifetime.
    I suspect your political views together with a touch of the 'green eyed monster' are what leads you to make those allegations and the nonsense about stripping people of their citizenship.

16. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

17. RedKestrel

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Tekkytyk
    You should read up on the Panama and Paradise papers before slagging off all and sundry..
    You'll find those tax dodgers ARE committing crimes .. the laws in this country aren't strict enough ..i wonder why ..
    the panorama programme last night was evidence of that ...

I guess you've no problem with dubious Russian , Chinese and Gulf business people buying up 75% of central London etc either..??

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’ve got pretty animated on this one tekky. I personally don’t have a problem with rich people if they live by the same rules as everyone else. I also acknowledge that there are varying degrees of acceptable behaviour exhibited by all sectors of society. However, I can’t see how you can defend the practices highlighted in the current round of exposing mass tax avoidance. Getting wages paid into a company in Mauritius then being appointed as an adviser to said company to then award you a loan with no interest or time to repay it just so you avoid paying tax. Surely you see that as wrong? Also having a tax avoidance company help write a law in the Isle of Man so that the company can then circumvent European tax laws has to be wrong?
    I admit I hadn’t realised the extent that the UK and associated territories had become a global tax haven. Also that it doesn’t happen in France, Germany and other countries. In France it is illegal for a tax adviser to find loopholes and any schemes for tax avoidance are immediately deemed illegal.

upthecolliers likes this.
  19. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree the stats on benefit fraud aren’t particularly accurate. As for avoidance / evasion they are both the products of greed and a symptom of a diseased society so seems fair to lump them together to me.

20. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Guardian and the BBC you mean media organisations that aren’t directly benefiting from tax avoidance and the non dom rules. It’s not exactly In the interests of the Daily Fail who are heavily implicated to publicise this is it now...

People are annoyed not out of jealousy but out of anger as our public services are woefully underfunded and we can barely afford to police the streets.

You are correct in one respect it is our govt that allows Lewis Hamilton to dodge tax that should be targeted (alongside the tax dodgers themselves). In many countries it is illegal to for financial advisors to advise how to exploit the system. We should make it so in this country but that won’t happen whilst the current lot are in power.

Italy has a well earned reputation for being one of the most politically corrupt places in Europe - reference the Berlusconi years. But maybe as you are the right kind of migrant it is the right kind of corruption.

What I Think and upthecolliers like this.