Paul Conway.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, May 16, 2019.

1. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’ve drunk in the Concourse before when pub was too busy- it was cheap until 2 or 2.30? Can’t remember. Would need better beer and somewhere a bit warmer to make it a first choice option.

Donny Red likes this.
  2. BobT

BobT Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some where to sit would also help.

JamDrop, wakeyred and Donny Red like this.
  3. On yer tyke

On yer tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I wonder how the local pubs feel about all this tbf I imagine some of them rely heavily on the football traffic.

I am glad work has begun on the zone and looking forward to trying it out for the first couple of weeks.

Redhelen and Donny Red like this.
  4. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What was the price of beer in Accrington's Fanzone and what variety did they have? I would imagine it will be along the same lines.

5. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I use my cousins Community owned Club when in down in Poole. Down South they normally tighten the pump so that
    they can fill the glass to the very top. When he comes North, he can't understand why us " grockles" as he calls us,
    insist on having a head on our pint. He says if they did that down their way, people would complain
    that they weren't getting a full measure.

I don't know whether I was being overly critical, but the draught lager tasted flat to me, so I went onto bottles of Peroni. Their brewery lease them the building at a peppercorn rent and supply their wines, beers, spirits, crisps and nuts on a cash basis a month in arrears. They have three fruit machines and a juke box, so they generate some much needed income from them.

The members have a rota whereby volunteers take it in turns to serve and collect and wash empty glasses and they also sell sandwiches, pies and peas or scampi and fries. Profit from all sources are ploughed back into the Club. They also have a rota for cleaning duties. Nobody gets paid a penny and two members keep the books up to date, ready for the end of year audit. It's a great facility for the local community and is well used during the week and is usually full at the weekends when they have a live act on the Saturday night.

6. ste

steve1887 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 pound

7. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As long as you're alreight. I think we'd make more money on decent beer that sit down meals. Who goes to a restaurant pre-match?

Wilmersdorfer Winky likes this.
  8. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was thinking post match actually. Somewhere where you could make an evening of it.
    If the only aspiration to making Oakwell "the centre of town" is cheap ale well, it's a sad statement.

9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would you have a sit down meal at 5pm on a Satdi? I know I wouldn't. The two things that will attract the majority of supporters (i.e men) to Oakwell is decent beer and football on a big screen. We need to attract families too but the main demographic is groups of lads and blokes.

Wilmersdorfer Winky likes this.
  10. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That little corner shop at the top of the hill that leads onto Grove Street (before you start dropping down to the ground ), used to do an absolute bomb in the sale of pop, crisps, snacks , cans and cigs etc, when I used to call in with my lad pre-match.

They had different types of sweets ready weighed out to sell to fans. We couldn't get past that shop at one time, without a quarter of Yorkshire Mixtures or Poor Bens.

I feel sure that similar products apart from tobacco of course, could be available for sale at the ground at "realistic " prices and would probably also prove to be very popular. We used to buy all our confectionary for Wakefields Youth Club coffee bars from Bookers Cash and Carry at Castleford and the mark up prices, ensured that we could sell at prices lower than the nearest local stores and still make a healthy profit.

JamDrop likes this.
  11. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I might do. Have done often enough. Did it at Eddie Rockets in Dublin a few weeks back. There's restaurants at shopping centres all over the place that are busy all day long.
    The main demographic might well be lads and blokes. The idea is to expand beyond that.

12. t'owd man

t'owd man Well-Known Member

Skivvy for r lass
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The old social club used to be good back in the day, had our wedding reception in there, open every night with various things going off during the week. A lot of locals ( I was one ) used it and on match days it used to get rammed and players used to come in after the match for a pint (or 2 ). I don't know if it would still work in this day and age and it would cost to build a new one but if they could create something similar on match days, starting with a marquee and working up to a permament structure if it took off at a later date.

Donny Red and churtonred like this.
  13. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I totally agree with the majority of your sentiment and points. But saying 'it's going to take more than cheap ale in Redfearn's' is a massive dis-service to what that place has delivered over the past five years. It's got a capacity limit of 150, it's basically full by 1:45pm every game, and it's popularity is a deterrent to people coming to the ground early - they don't want to risk not getting in.

If Redfearn's Bar was a 500 capacity venue I'm confident we'd fill it every game, and because there's more guests the drinks range is ultimately better.That would be near on 5% of the home crowd. Not bad really.

We have Dave Cooper perform his routine for us three or four times a season, confirm our charity donations live to the regulars that attend and put their money in to the cause, and have ex players turn up half a dozen times a year. Dedicated days to specific causes (Hospice Day, Yorkshire Ambulance Day, even a day specific for Angus MacDonald's charity bike ride) also help. It's a community spirit and exactly what Barnsley Football Club are about.

It actually wouldn't take much more than a bigger Redfearn's to entice a lot of people to the ground early. That's not an opinion per say, but not far off a guarantee. We're hindered by the venue and the capacity - not by the offer we put on for people.

14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Promotion to the Championship is probably worth £25k a year in additional profit. But not if 10% of fans take their business to the ground pre and post match.

On yer tyke likes this.
  15. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry, it wasn't meant in any way to be a sideswipe at Redfearns. I've never been in as it's not really my thing but Oakwell desperately needs a social club of some sort, bigger the better.
    What I'm trying to get at is that Oakwell is unused 13 days out of 14. I genuinely don't know if the space is there but a couple of bars and restaurants could draw more people to the place not just on match days.
    I think the club do a good job in trying to draw the community into the club but it would be nice if the area around the ground could become more vibrant and the club gain a higher profile along with it.
    Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

Kettlewell likes this.
  16. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it isn't really your thing, but you feel like the club need a social club of some sort, then surely it's about time you gave it a try? :) Being completely honest, we'd love a better venue/four walls, but it is what it is and the best we're going to get without being outdoors or having something purpose built.

I love the suggestion of utilising the days Oakwell is unused, not because it's a great business idea in theory (which it is), but because most restaurants in Barnsley struggle nevermind adding two more at the football club and people seem to think it's so simple. There's so much more to opening a catering business, be it food or drink, then just taking a space somewhere. You could put a bar and two restaurants down at Oakwell full time, but I reckon it would take you three years minimum to break even due to the amount of money you'd likely lose in the first 6-9 months. I'm completely speculating, but to do it properly would in my eyes need c. £150k of investment and no return to chip away at that until year two.

GudjonFan likes this.
  17. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, I'm not totally convinced it would work. I'm looking at it from the point of view of getting more people in and around the club on a more regular basis than as a pure commercial venture.
    However they choose to try to grow the club though is going to cost money.
    And, yes, next time I'm over I'll make a point of popping into Redfearns. :)

Loko the Tyke likes this.
  18. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why do that when you can just go into TARN and get pissed.

19. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Also as I've asked Gally to raise at a future Fans forum meeting, we need additional shelves on the
    walls and on the support pillars where you can at least put your drinks. It's difficult to eat a pie or a burger
    whilst holding a hot drink, as the existing limited shelf space is taken up very quickly. We never buy any food
    for that reason . We sometimes never even buy a drink. Looking round, there's also quite a few fans who
    bring their own sarnies, pop and or flasks of hot drinks.

JamDrop likes this.
  20. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not disputing your comment/idea, but these people you've highlighted would likely bring their own food and drink anyway. Like those who always take their own stuff to the cinema - it will take more than an increased/better food and drink range for them to buy when there.