Paul Conway.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, May 16, 2019.

1. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can you share the tweet to support this claim please?

2. Stephen

Stephen Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm a fan of Barry Murphy's post match analysis, maybe that could be streamed to the concourses and I'm sure people would hang around for a pint and watch it.

GudjonFan likes this.
  3. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we just put Barnsley fanzone in association with Wetherspoons place will be rammed ,never seen an empty spoons

4. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is the tweet:

5. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Beat me to it just found it and had come back to the thread to post it haha. He's such a open owner he never had to do that and many appreciated his openness to see such great detail.

6. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Yes we had various conversations

Barnsleyshaun likes this.
  7. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not really Andy.

We try and go in Legends suite once/twice a year for a birthday depending on fixtures.

Tried to the season we got relegated and despite calling several times to arrange a ticket never got a call back to discuss further.

The times weve been before it was enjoyable but seemed to lack that finess.

Had to find our own seats. No table service. No half time pint orders. Having to queue for a custard cream and a cuppa.
    It seemed very geared upto the 'money men' not a gang of raggy lads having a knees up.

It honestly felt like selling us a few tickets was a bit of a chore and expensive for wjat it was.

So this season weve not bothered and gone away instead.

Accrington... they dont have the facilities that Barnsley have but the attention to detail was frightening.
    Sophie the lady who sorted the tickets for me came over, had a chat only small talk minds but with everyone as did a number of her colleagues. The table service was second to none. They knew before the mains came out who was who and what they drank.
    The pots were never empty.
    Nothing was too much. Even showed us to our seats!

Wombles.. very similar to Accrington. But no after match as we had a train to catch.

Gillingham... very much like oakwells set up in terms of how it rolled. Very much along the same lines as oakwell as well. No table service unless you were a 'money man'.

Burton.. out of the rest the facilities were top notch. Didnt quite have the family club feel of the first two but attention to detail and overall freindliness made up for it.

Perhaps I am being unfair to the club but I can only base my opinion on my own experiences and how different venues have treated us as both a group and individually.

Hopefully things have changed at the club and we should be encouraged to give it another try this year.

GudjonFan and YTBFC like this.
  8. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Remind me when the next one is please to make sure i dont forget (maybe someone at the club might read this though and pass it on @YTBFC :) )

Donny Red likes this.
  9. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Drinks trays too that they have stopped handing out. If you are paying for more than two hot drinks it's a bit of a struggle to get on your own without having more than one person miss some of the match to help.

Donny Red likes this.
  10. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably just about covers the playing staffs wages that.

11. 6ozDave

6ozDave Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They'd have to improve the aroma- I can still remember it's smell of stale beer, tab ends and disinfectant when I went with my dad to pay his tote tickets on Sunday night ;)

12. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As I thought this is just sales. It doesn’t show that they ‘made thousands’ from the fan zone element at all. At their prices you could be looking at 30% profit conversion and that’s assuming staff are all volunteers.

Metatarsal and churtonred like this.
  13. Dub-Tyke

Dub-Tyke Well-Known Member

Whilst I do drink on matchdays, we have to remember 2 things about a fanzone:-

1) The majority of the home crowd do not drink on matchdays. Either due to age, health, driving or don’t want to.

2) Whatever we build as a fanzone must be suitable for all fans. If it becomes too loud and beer swigging, a large portion of fans won’t attend. Then the club will be accused of blowing a large portion of budget just for beer drinkers.

I’m all for it, but it has to be for all, not just some.

GudjonFan and churtonred like this.
  14. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How much do you think a decent fan zone costs? Less than a week of Ethan Pinnock's new contract and you only invest once (so say three years shelf life, about a week of Jacob Brown).

15. Dub-Tyke

A lot more than one week of Pinnock’s contract. You’d easily blow £10k plus vat on the electrical works. Let alone the marquee type structure.

You could easily blow £60k on a decent ‘Temp’ structure like that, and then the services and kitting it all out. Don’t be surprised to see a bill of £150k + vat for something decent.

16. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm sorry mate, but did you go to Accrington? I can guarantee you now it won't be an investment of more than £10k. What electrics do you think they'll need that costs that much? Do you realise that from a beer dispense perspective that comes at zero cost to the club pretty much?

You're way off this one. Not being condescending, just trying to stress how wrong you are so this doesn't start as a rumour somewhere - 'Club spends £100k on Fan Zone but lets Lindsay leave for a lump of coal'.

17. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about the club running a pub in the new glassworks?

18. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Here's a thought and I've no idea of the logistics, just thinking along the lines of bringing more people into the orbit of the club.
    How about a Sports and Social side? Similar to how some european clubs operate. Set up some five a side pitches, tennis courts, basketball, cricket nets, badminton even stuff like archery. Have teams representing the club. Push womens participation. Make the club a real hub of sport in the town. Bring in kids, families to try stuff and hopefully get them to buy into the club and the football along the way.
    A sports complex plus clubhouse, bars and changing rooms.
    Again available land and costs I haven't even considered but it might be one thing to really get the club central to what goes on in the town.
    If we really want to expand and broaden the appeal and support we're going to have to be ambitious.

John Peachy likes this.
  19. Dub-Tyke

Well, haven’t they excavated and laid new Electrics to the East Stand carpark already? So there’s a few thousand there already.

Then you have to kit out the marquee - bar, cellar equipment, chairs, tables, POS system and PA system.

Marquee cost itself - purchase a large basic one is £6k at least, but not fit for long term and bad weather. So guess it’d be £20k.

Then you’ve water and drains and ports-loos etc.

Marquees cost a fortune to hire, let alone buy, fit out and maintain for 5+ years.

So I stand by my figure, but accept that it’s dependent on size, quality and fit out.

So even so, going back to your original comment, you can’t do it for 1 weeks wage of Pinnock. Min cost for me would £50k all in.

•••Edit - I’ve no problem with the club spending £100k on this, as to build a new social club like the old one would be triple this cost at least.

But like you say, you’re guaranteeing me it won’t be under £10k..... I’m guaranteeing you, you’re out of touch with building and infrastructure costs.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    GudjonFan likes this.
  20. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Break it down one by one:

The electrics for the East Stand that you say have been laid aren't necessarily for the Fan Zone. In fact I don't believe plans were at the stage of development when this happened (if it has).

There are other options to marquees, but agree that is the best alternative. You don't have to spend £6k or £20k though if you're coming at it from a commercial angle.

Toilets will be the East Stand concourse potentially and probably.

Cellar equipment and dispense equipment - zero cost as I previously mentioned.

PA system already exists (to my knowledge)

Chairs and Tables - again, commercially there's a way around this being a minimal spend.

Water. As this is a 'pop up' you won't be incurring the kind of charges you're imagining.

Not as out of touch with the pub and beer trade as you're suggesting.