People who dislike music or bands because it is 'too mainstream'

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by SuperTyke, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Gor

Gordon Ottershaw Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I dislike the snobbery that dismisses acts because they don't write their own music or play traditional instruments. To say that is to dismiss Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis, sixties girl groups, most of Motown, etc. Then again, people who make this claim probably aren't aware of how many hit songs of the sixties and seventies didn't feature all, or in some cases any, of the band members apart from the singer.

And, Jimmy, Coldplay are indeed rubbish*, but don't go down the route of saying Ringo was a bad drummer, because he was far from it. Baker and Moon couldn't have made the Beatles songs any better than they already are!

*disclaimer - my opinion of course! But I don't spend any effort disliking music that I think is rubbish. I simply don't listen to it. If the Red Hot Chili Peppers were playing a gig in my back garden, for example, I would simply shut the window, draw the curtains and go and sit in the front room. I do, however, draw the line where Shout by Lulu is concerned. If that comes on I have to be stopped from throwing the TV or radio out of the window.

2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    to quote john lennon, when asked by the london times if he thought ringo was the best drummer in the world*: "Best drummer in the world? He isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles"

*there is actually no evidence he ever said this, and it's likely just one of those urban myths. but it's a great line anyway

3. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am quite happy to concede that you have a wider and deeper musical knowledge than do I. If all you wanted from our conversation is to prove that you know far more about music and the music industry, then consider it proved. However, in spite of your undoubted knowledge, you would be one of the last that I would seek out for advice about a band. Why is that? It is because our musical tastes and experiences are at different ends of the musical spectrum.

You clearly have enormous confidence in yourself and your taste in music. Only someone with such confidence could pontificate at such lengths on such diverse musical styles. Nevertheless, you cannot advise me because you do not share my musical taste. You should remember this when you short cut your opinion and present it as a fact, as you did in your opening statement.

I will further consign myself to the dustbin marked no idea about music by admitting that I have no idea what Dubstep is, that I did not enjoy Tamla Motown and that I have no idea about Reggae. I am not pretending to be something that I am not. Nether am I pretending to be interested in innovation. My comments about innovation were general ones about every new musical generation needing to innovate in order to find the sound track of their generation. However, I was a teenager when the Beatles came on the scene and can speak from personal experience about how they were the sound track to that generation. I moved on from the Beatles and no longer own any of their music, but that does not rewrite the history of my youth. Having lived through it, I know that their short period together shaped the course of the music industry that followed. That does not mean that new ideas and new innovations have not also left their mark, but it does mean that people such as yourself, who write off their contribution should expect an argument.

Opinions are opinions. They are not facts.

4. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People can like whatever music they like, for their own reasons.

I don't even know why I opened the thread, because I couldn't care less.

Do what you want, as long as it doesn't affect me.