Perspective

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ryhilltyke, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I do understand the concerns of some. Football fans in general are fairly impatient. When somethings going well, we expect it to continue and as soon as a mistake is made, we question why.

The frustration has come from a fairly unsuccessful transfer window. Most knew that we'd lose a couple of good players. The key was to replace them. We've brought in one player who's likely to fit straight into our mould in Mowatt, and one who might require a bit of nurturing in Hedges. Elder and Jones could potentially be long term fixtures (although based on our recent record of signing loanees permanently, probably not) and James is certainly a quick fix. So the replacements on the face of it, don't necessarily cover the outgoings.

We had a bad transfer window, that's it. He consequence may be that our season will fizzle out; nobody was expecting a top 6 finish, some may not even have welcomed it, but the carrot was dangled so to speak, and the impatient nature of the football fan wanted to gobble up said carrot.

Patience is key. We need to get our summer transfer dealings right, and maybe sign up one or two of the out of contract players to longer deals. Scowen and Roberts are a must, but I feel Watkins is a lost cause.

The club's plan was to buy them cheap, sell them for a profit. It isn't going to happen with the majority of the players, but the money in the game now means that getting one right every season or two can recuperate what we've spent and give us a healthy cash injection to boot. The plan has been a massive success thus far, propelling us from a mediocre league 1 side to the verge of our highest league finish in at least 15 years, and an extra £15 million in the kitty. We've managed this in the space of 3 seasons. The club could easily become an established top half championship team, with the tools to push on for a more prolonged promotion push. The club is in a significantly more healthy position than it was 3 years ago, and I dare say than it was 20 years ago. It could take a couple more years yet until we are consistently challenging for the top 6, but we've to not let one poor transfer window make us think otherwise. We've got to stay positive. We've got to show patience.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Marley Watkins was alerted to interest from the Premier League. There was no rumors of any actual bids from a Premier League team.

I know for a fact that by the Leeds game, only Ipswich had tabled a bid for him.

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    That's a good response which I accept. What I can't accept is this feeling that we've now got a weaker team - it's too early to say, in my opinion. It's difficult for me as I'm in Germany and I've not seen the new players live, but why do people think that they're worse than the players that have moved on?

We're not out of it yet. One thing I do know though, is this. At the start of the season, I bet nobody on here was arguing about whether we have a chance of the playoffs or not. Irrespective of your view on our chances, the fact that we're arguing about it confirms how well we've done.