Popcorn time!.......

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did think that myself when I read it earlier. Although I was going to suggest that the government setting up camps for people forced to work on the land sounds a little communist. Although there is an argument that far left and far right are very similar once the pure ideology meets the greed of people.

2. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Isn't it funny how the two biggest advocates of Brexit on here are the two people least likely to be affected by it?

BBBFC and tinatyke like this.
  3. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You may not be prepared to uproot your family and move for 6-8 weeks work. It's the seasonal nature of the work that is the issue. Unemployment in rural Cambridgeshire for example is 1.2 percent youth unemployment 0.4 percent so you need to attract from further afield. Unless you can accommodate them for free it is difficult to see people wanting to pay for temporary accommodation on minimum wage.

tinatyke likes this.
  4. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In the occasions I've heard you on the radio. And when I've met you, I have to say its crossed my mind whether you were on drugs or not.
    This meaningless drivel confirms you must be.

Get help for your addiction

5. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You need a proof reader pal .

6. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Definitely

7. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And some thing to calm me down. His negativity and over ******** his post just wondering me up

8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    D- for that Tyrone. Lacks imagination. I suppose that's in keeping with everything else you post.

9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have you ever thought of teaching English as a second language?

10. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing just stating a fact

11. manxtyke

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loada ballax

12. manxtyke

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nobody said owt about removing or ethnic cleansing just citizens rights being reciprocal, its a bargaining position typically hysterical lefty

13. manxtyke

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And why don't you think it won't affect me

14. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    What does that say about the 560,000+ age group 16-24 who are unemployed some of them long term and the other unemployed? We have jobs need filling, lots unemployed why should we have to rely on migrant workers. As a previous poster said they are "not prepared to slum it in order to make a bit of brass, when you can pick up your benefit and be idle."

Some "know it all " leftie on here accused me of having an Arbeit Macht Frei attituded for having teh temerity to suggest long term unemployed get off their arses and work instead of sitting round on their arses getting something for nothing.

As for the lame excuse that "most youth unemployed live in urban areas and the farms are in the countryside". 'No sh*t Sherlock' How do you think the migrant workers manage they have to travel from another country not another county? I though most farmers with orchards etc provided basic accommodation and subsistence as part of the remuneration. It is after all a relatively short period and not exactly in the depths of winter. Students and young people often used to do this sort of thing for their holidays . As I said no wonder UK is in a mess with the attitude of some on here.
    I used to have two jobs - the 'day job' and one working in a band. Including, weekly practices, learning new stuff, picking up band members, loading, travel time, unloading, setting up, playing the gig, striking the set, loading, travel time, and unloading back at base ,dropping off band members (most had no car) I worked, on average, 3 gigs a week often getting back at 3 or 4 in the morning with each of us ending up with about £95-100 for working around 40 hours ( less tax -although the cost of instruments lights PA and maintenance + vehicle running costs took care of most of that). It was 80s and 90s but still poor money for the work involved well under what would be considered minimum wage even in those days although we were effectively self employed - It's all glamour tha knows!! We made more when we went abroad - Germany etc. but had to as that meant effectively going pro. Most people wouldn't consider it worth getting out of bed nowadays for the amount of work involved and the financial return but any amount of extra money helped and we did have some fun and good experiences.

15. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Is that why we need migrant workers to pick them for us then? :)

16. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Err no!! Forced labour was unpaid, I am advocating filling vacant jobs with unemployed people fit for work rather than the country paying scroungers (as that is what they are) if they expect working people to subsidise their life style, take from the state and put nothing back. Obviously exemptions would exist for say people with dependents etc but single fit young men and women on long term unempluement could and should fill these vacant places
    If you disagree with that then it shows what a numpty you are. Nice change to reference Mussolini instead of Hitler though.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stop including the 16-18 age group in your figures. They have to either stay in further education or go on an apprenticeship. They are not legally allowed to work full-time anymore or claim any benefits. In fact, nobody under 21 qualifies for housing benefits anymore, and I believe they no longer get travel assistance help for jobs. With the train fares as they are and the reduced benefits levels that they are paid, it is unlikely that they would even be able to afford to travel to the places where they are needed.

Knowing the government too, if the young were to leave home for 2 months to pick fruit, then their bedrooms would be classed as spare and their parents would be hit with the bedroom tax too.

18. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    So I live in Italy. So what...
    1 I have family in UK (daughter Granddaughter son-in-Law etc that I care about.
    2 Since our income is paid in Sterling and all my costs are in Euros I have seen our income fall far more than people in the UK and will probably find
    3 Health costs are likely to rise here too since at the moment we pay NI into the Italian system annually but I believe they also get some contributions from the UK for people of state retirement age (we are not yet there). When we leave lots of UK tax residents here may possibly no longer get care paid for for by the UK NHS so costs for Agenzia Sanitaria will rise .

All this I expected when I voted out but I am not complaining about it. We just tighten our belts re-adjust our expectations and move on.

You know **** all about me and our circumstances so dont presume you do.

19. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The unemployment benefits budget in the UK is less than 3% of the pensions benefits budget. Why not just get the able-bodied pensioners out to pick the fruit? - especially as they are more likely to live in the countryside near to the farmers.

20. Tek

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    So how do migrant workers for Rumania, Poland go on then coming here . fair enough with 16-18, but you are just making excuses for the rest.

Following is an extract from an academic paper...

Positions left empty if EU migration is restricted following Brexit could theoretically present a solution to high unemployment rates in the UK. But the fact is that many British people simply do not want to carry out seasonal labour because incentives for doing so are very low. Changes in the composition of rural populations mean that areas of high unemployment are often located at significant distances from the farms offering work. Seasonal jobs are also known to be low-paid, hard work, with long hours, and are often associated with unfavourable conditions and diminished social status. Domestic residents prefer permanent employment or complete withdrawal from the labour market onto the social security system.

Migrant workers are less likely to perceive the work as “dead end” and rather see it as a temporary step allowing them to earn an income that has more worth in their home country.

Schemes to encourage British workers back to the land have largely failed. Where they have tried, some farmers state that after several days of work, many do not return. But question marks hang over rhetoric arguing that Brits are too lazy, unavailable, or incapable of doing the work, or that they have an inferior work ethic to overseas workers.