Possible takeover & move from Oakwell stalling, according to this

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Tarntyke, Mar 16, 2014.

1. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    you represent the exact thinking and demeanor that is holding the club back.

2. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: No doubt there will be objections

This I agree with.

I don't think a new stadium helps us at all, mind.

3. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Why move? It would make absolutely no sense in my eyes. Most teams that have relocated have done so as they're original grounds weren't 'worth' developing. Rotherham, Donny, Sunderland etc. or weren't big enough, Arsenal.

Every player we sign comments on our facilities. How other clubs would love everything under 'one roof' so to speak.
    3/4 of the ground is exactly what a new ground would provide. I'm sure if Oakwell was at capacity week in week out the West Stand would have gone by now. We have an academy, indoor and outdoor training facilities, fantastic car parking, twomins from the town centre and trains/buses. 5 mins from 2 M1 junctions, educational facilities, corporate facilities etc.

I fail to see how any move would benefit the club?!!?

4. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When there was talk of us moving to Dodworth in the early 90's, does anyone know exactly where in Dodworth?

5. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah I'm saying it's fine, let throw everything away and move to a shitty new bowl stadium and get the same amount of fans as we do now. Except it'll be in a place that's ***** to watch football and even less of an atmosphere.

Sounds like a reyt idea.

We're not like Brighton. If we built a new stadium exactly the same would happen to us as it has to Donny.

6. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would we want to give up a stadium that gives us all we need is centrally located and has good transport links for some intangible stadium in the middle of nowhere that May or may not provide any of those things.

As for thinking like that holds us back what a bunch of toss. Lack of money holds us back the Premiershit holds us back. Not having an Ikea flat pack stadium in the middle of nowhere no that doesn't hold us back.

A non story and bag of ***** anyway.

7. RonnieGlavinScores

RonnieGlavinScores Member

charity manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apologies if someone has already said this, but..

Obviously this is a move to get the land that the club sits on. Unfortunately I do not think the majority of this land can be sold - because a certain Mr Senior slapped a long winded covenant on it (that spanned four family generations after his death), thus preventing the club from selling the field(s) he gave them for football use only.

I think this legal contract played some part in the ASDA supermarket bid failing in the 1970s and the more recent affairs surrounding our period in administration, when various property speculators became interested. We have a lot to thank Mr Senior for – look what happened to Wimbledon.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    ^^^This. With nobs on.

9. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Gives us all we need?

We being the 5,000 that will rattle around in it next season, I give up, there truly is no hope whilst the opinion prevails that we just need some more money chucking in from somewhere and we'll be reight. Simple as that, we're being held back by others not our own shortsightedness.

Same old Barnsley small town, mentality, no wonder the outside world portrays us as stuck in the 1980s.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Re: Gives us all we need?

What would a new ground do? Genuinely interested to know because I can't think of anything.

11. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was told at the time we were in admin, that the covenant set out that while ever there was a football club playing at Oakwell, then any development on the land had to be beneficial to the football club. The council apparently re-iterated that policy to various bods who were looking at the land for development.

Not sure how 14 semi detached houses on the Queens Ground meets that, if the covenant still exists in its original form.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  12. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley

I think their is evidence to suggest a new ground rejuvinates interest in a football club. It rekindles the interest of lapsed fans and gets new fans interested.

13. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Re: I would absolutely 100% support a move away from Oakwell

Yeah I its very unlikely for all the reasons you state. Wasnt it also mentioned when we were in admin that much of the the Land around Oakwell was contaminated so couldn't be developed anwyay? Were'nt there also covenants on the land that stopped it from being developed?

From what I heard the last non-story originated from an agent who had been tasked with finding a buyer a while back. Is he again using the media for a bit of advertising to try and get his 3% commission?

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley

How long for? Is the £millions in outlay recovered by the increased attendances? Donny have a brand new stadium, they're one of only 4 clubs in the league that average less through the turnstiles. Significantly less as it happens.

Just as an aside, if, as is constantly being suggested, we can no longer afford to compete at this level, then how come there are four other teams with smaller attendances, which would make you believe, less income?

15. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    *edit*

It looks like the planning application has gone from the council website.

16. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

There's no evidence to suggest that a new stadium would mean a long term increase in fans.

Oakwell has been the home of Barnsley Football Club for nearly 127 years.

It's where I, my dad and his dad before him fell in love with BFC. There's still something special about Oakwell to me.

I don't want that to change in my lifetime.

17. oss

ossettred Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Moving the ground closer to Ossett would be of great benefit, seriously though having the ground close to the Motorway links can't be all bad there are plenty of positives.

18. StaincrossRed

StaincrossRed New Member

A new ground would do us good. Where a backwards club not going anywhere above league one. We are certainly stuck in the 80's. Look what it's done for Rotherham, there flying with confidence and optimism. Look what Bournemouth are trying to achieve, there going to go places. It will bring new fans and a new club representing our town. The place will be buzzing with excitement, apart from old moaning men like them that sit at back of me..."sit darn a cnt see" "****ing ***** lot of em" . I am in a dream land tho, will never happen where skint, where not a good business to take on. The people of Barnsley are just not interested in watching BFC due to there stubbornness.
    But this will turn there heads.

19. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: I would absolutely 100% support a move away from Oakwell

The agent tasked by Cryne?

20. S.M.

S.M. Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Apart from the fact that the facilities are terrible

the ground is depressing, dated and falling apart, its not easy to get to by car, it simply doesnt lend itself to generating revenue from other streams. Can you see a sell out concert ever taking place at Oakwell? When you walk down Grove Street and see a wall with broken glass on top, is there any wonder the media trumpet out the same old stereotypes. How inspiring is it to a player to play at Oakwell?

The facilities are out of date, even the much famed indoor pitch and Academy facilities are showing their age, local clubs have left us in their wake and that has implications for the new generation of supporter and player. You can disagree with it if you want, but the modern day 'supporters' demand more for their £25 than a cold plastic seat, a broken scoreboard, a massive queue at half time to buy a tikka balti pie whilst stood freezing their knackers off in a stand that was built 25 years ago.