Pound has dropped in value

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by AthersleyRed, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree 100%, but they are only human.

For every complaint against the BBC along the lines of your example about young single aggressive males in refugee camps, there's another saying the exact opposite. Basically it's all down to opinion and everyone has their own.

2. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Good for exporters, the British tourist industry and pensions, bad for importers and holidaymakers, swings and roundabouts.

3. Gloria Stitts

Well they are sacking white comedians and replacing them with women and minorities, maybe they should be representing the 52% of people who voted leave in their workforce?

4. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why is it bad for playground equipment ?

5. Gloria Stitts

Except the economic situation in Scotland has got worse since the referendum because of the fall in oil prices and you don't meet the criteria for joining the EU due to your defecit being too big.

Don't believe the SNP's bullshine.

6. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I kinda agree with you in part mate but our economic situation got worse due the Cameron and Osbourne and also Brexit. Correct me if I am wrong but I'm sure the oil price has recently been recovering.
    Of course Scotland's deficit will be much reduced once we leave the UK. We will only take our share of any deficit leaving the huge majority for the English to deal with.

Believing the Tories ******** was perhaps the main reason quite a few Scots voted to remain. A situation I doubt will be repeated. Once bitten twice shy.

7. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And yet the Thames Valley voted to remain....bizarre.

8. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All kinds of wrong in that post

9. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a double-edged sword this currency value, it makes our exports cheaper and more attractive but our narrow-minded population will only see it as less Euros to spend when they go to Benidorm for a week.

The thing is though, have you ever noticed how things seem much cheaper to us on the continent? Even going to America, it seems ridiculously cheap, but not to the general population. When tourists come here they see it as ridiculously expensive, even from supposedly wealthy countries.

Perhaps our currency has generally been over-valued.

I went to Portugal last month and even with the pound to euro being practically 1:1, it still seemed very cheap.

10. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When tourists come here they generally focus on London, and London IS ridiculously expensive !

11. jedstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alcohol, eating out and some of the attractions yeah - but a coffee, sandwich from an independent cafe or budget hotel - same as everywhere else in the UK.

12. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ian , I don't think you'll be likely to get another vote for some time...I think NS has twigged the fact of the million ' lost ' Scots voters from the Independence referendum, that allied to the poor oil price and some tax increases or alternatively service cuts that are beginning to look likely , the lukewarm reception from the EU , in fact almost open hostility from Spain , are all factors that make it less likely that The SNP will risk another Referendum. Alex Salmond on the BBC programme The Battle for Scotland recently , was quite candid in that he was shattered by the defeat and had never considered losing , in fact Nicola Sturgeon said the Better Together campaign was so poorly organised that had she run it ( if she was of that persuasion) the margin would have been even higher ...I think she may well be right .
    I think NS got a bit carried away by the EU referendum presenting an unexpected opportunity , but I think they may consider on reflection that the vote was more a kick out at the Scottish Labour Party and reaffirmation of support for the SNP as a domestic party , rather than a positive show of support for the EU . If that was the case , and 1m ( potential ) Unionists are looming for another Independence battle it could be very daunting , in fact very risky indeed ...to lose one referendum is bad enough , to lose a second would be little short of a disaster . I don't think they will risk it .

13. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's great news for Putin. The Russian state media has long tried to portray Europe and in particular the EU as being completely dysfunctional, and far from the democratic utopia many Russians believe it to be, especially the ones who travel there regularly. The splintering of the EU, and the rise of the far left or far right is exactly what he wants to happen, then he will have been proved "correct".

14. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree. Losing another referendum would put the question in the cupboard for the rest of our lifetimes - NS would only consider trying it when the polls suggest she would win comfortably, to give her a margin of error and still be utterly confident of winning. I don't think that scenario is ever likely to arise, certainly not in the foreseeable future. Recent polls suggested that a majority of scots don't even want to be asked again, never mind wanting out.

The worsening of the economic picture for a potentially independent Scotland has nothing to do with Dave and George and everything to do with the price of oil, over which we (i.e. the British Government) has no control whatsoever. I think the people of Scotland narrowly dodged a bullet with their vote to stay, because you would by now be on the verge of economic ruin. Nicola knows it, and she knows that the people know it, which is why there won't be another vote - she would lose, and probably by a bigger margin than first time.

15. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well thanks for that very informative and enlightening reply Sadbrewer. You have certainly burst my bubble. I can't really argue with the points you make mate although most of your points are just opinions. My opinion is from watching and reading SNP literature is that Nicola will give another referendum a go but it could all get a bit messy if Westminster refuses to allow it. Then I don't have a clue what would happen. I have heard rumours of declaring UDI.
    What I do know is the more the Tories turn the screw the more the will for another shot at leaving increases.
    I'd say the iron is still hot for going for it but the longer nothing happens then perhaps the drive for Independence might slow down.
    My own view is I'd rather go down fighting for Scotland than be brow beaten by those dreadful parasitic individuals from SE England who really do not give a flying fk whether I and the people of Scotland live or die. All selfish bast@rds.

16. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point about Spain is a very pertinent point because if the Scots think that they will vote out as a way to stay in / rejoin the EU then it is never going to happen. Any country can veto a new member, and Spain will NEVER EVER allow an independent Scotland to re-join. They have a proper battle on their hands trying to hold the country together and stifle their own separatists and they have consistently said they would 100% block a Scottish application so as to not give any sense of advantage to the basque separatists. It will, quite simply, never ever happen. When we leave the EU, Scotland is leaving with us, and ain't ever going back.

17. arabian_ian

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hmm. Recent polls suggested that a majority of scots don't even want to be asked again, never mind wanting out. Sorry mate but I must have missed that poll. Are you sure you did not just make it up to bolster your arguement?

The worsening of the economic picture for a potentially independent Scotland has nothing to do with Dave and George. Really? I'd suggest we are all suffering due to Dodgy Dave and that clown George.

I think the people of Scotland narrowly dodged a bullet with their vote to stay, because you would by now be on the verge of economic ruin. Yes as you say mate You think but that is only your opinion. Many things would have had to change and neither of us really know what would have happened and how Scotland would have coped. Also how England would have coped without the financial input we give to the UK. I do believe we are a nett contributer to the Union and as such put in more than we get out.

But I do appreciate your point of view DSL. You may very well be right in what you say but obviously I share a different view.

18. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

**** me!!!

19. jedstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They didn't actually, saw something the other day that suggested it was 50/50.

20. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not stated categorically then?

I admit it, I was guessing on that one but I was close..... Other two are right though.