QPR fined 40 million quid

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jimmy viz, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly. If anything I think it's too lenient.

2. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've never seen anyone on here advocating a Brighton or Wednesday-style kamikaze **** or bust approach. Most people are cautiously optimistic that we can emulate Swansea, West Brom and the like with a steady growth model.

3. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What JC said.

4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would be interested in seeing your *** packet calculations on how that works.

5. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's nothing to do with *** packet calculations. I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm wrong) that there will be very significant differences between Brighton's accounts for the last three season, and Huddersfield's for example.

6. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think teams like Brighton get round it with huge naming rights on their ground and training facilities - think Everton do similar with their training ground

7. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have not looked at Brighton's accounts, or for that matter Huddersfield's accounts, but I do look at Barnsley's accounts.

Let us get down to the nuts and bolts of things, because there are a number of fundamental questions here about the economics of investing in football. The teams that invest most in quality players have a better chance of achieving promotion to the Premier League and the riches that it offers:

1. The teams that are relegated from the Premier League have a fundamental advantage, both in the quality of their squad, and the amount of money that they have to invest in wages/transfer fees. How much do the new owners need to invest in the first year in order to overcome that fundamental advantage and improve our quality of player.
    2. It is too late for us to catch us the points difference this year, so how much do they need to invest in the second and subsequent years before they can expect their investment to come to fruition, that is before we can expect to be playing in the Premier League.

We were Huddersfield once. The unexpected happens every now and again, but you have to wait for 130 years, and it only happens once. Money gives time a helping hand - but just how much money?

Marlon and John Peachy like this.
  8. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Financial Fair Play regulations were brought in because owners were buying their way to success and it was deemed that in sport, success should not be bought and sold. The sale of ground naming rights is basically just another way of cheating the system and if there is any integrity left in football, the scam will be stopped.

Basically, the owner of a football club (the club) which is losing money also owns another company (the company) that is making money. The owner sees that he can reduce his tax bill in the company and also subsidise the club by selling something for a price well above its economic value, so he invents a totally false price that is well above its economic value for ground naming rights. The right to call the ground after the name of his profitable company, and therefore have the ground referred to as the ****** stadium has limited advertising value, especially in cases where company ****** does not trade in the same country. It is cheating the system and nothing more.

Mike Ashley has re-branded St James' Park, and there is some logic in that because his company sells sports equipment nationally. On those grounds alone, our tax authorities are probably tolerant of the amounts of money involved. However, in most cases, they would not be and they would not allow the full value of a false transaction to be allowed against the profits of the company. However, all tax regimes are not equal, and those in some foreign countries are more understanding. Therefore, foreign owners are at more of an advantage than UK owners in this respect as they will have the naming rights payment in the company allowed against its tax bill, but this automatically puts foreign owned British clubs at an advantage over those that are British owned. All that the foreign owners have to worry about is that lower profits will lower the company share valuation and therefore lower the owner's net worth, but by not as much as a British owner.

Cheating is cheating no matter what devices are used to cover it up.

9. sir ronald

sir ronald Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did,nt they get 100 million for going down from premier?.

10. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I never said it wasn't but there are loopholes that the wealthy find. Also think fining someone with the levels of wealth we are talking about here is ludicrous. Relegate clubs ... plain and simple

Extremely Northern likes this.
  11. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    What will happen imo is if the appeal is turned down the owners abandon the club and leave it for fans to suffer again.
    It'll pick back up after fleecing fans and it'll all start again .
    What's Deja Vu in French.?

12. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wednesday might have got round it with the dodgy sponsorships.

Owner will be getting his other companies who ‘sponsor’ the kit to pay way over the norm to get round FFP I’d imagine.

A bit like Etihad & City

13. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the idea of them going into a playoff with the teams in the relegation zone at the end of the season. Winner stays up.